第8章

One day in summer a lady on horseback rode up to the house and knocked on the door.
夏季的一天,一位女士骑马跑到了那所房子并敲了敲门。

She had dark hair,and was very beautiful.
她有一头黑发,人很漂亮。

The family were all very pleased to see her.
那家人见到她都很高兴。

I soon learnt that her name was Sophie.
我不久了解到她的名字叫苏菲。

She could not speak the family’s language, and each evening Felix taught her some words.
她不会说那个家庭的语言,菲力克斯每个晚上都要教她几个单词。

This was a very great help to me, because I was able to learn the meaning of many words that I had not been able to understand before.
这对我大有帮助,因为我可以知道以前我不懂的许多单词的意思。

Felix taught Sophie from books about what had happened in the world in the past.
菲力克斯照着课本教给苏菲这个世界上过去发生的事情。

So I learnt about the Greeks and Romans,and about Christ, and about the first white men in America and the sad story of the Indians.
于是我了解到了希腊人和罗马人,还有基督,还有关于美洲的第一批白人及印第安人的悲惨故事。

I could not understand why men who knew all about good and evil could hate and kill each other.
我不能明白那些明白善恶的人们为什么要互相仇恨和残杀。

I learnt other things too.
我也了解到了别的事情。

I learnt that people think it is very important to have money and to come from a good family.
我了解到人们认为有钱和好的家庭出身是非常重要的。

I learnt of the love between mother and father and child.
我了解到了父母及孩子之间的爱。

And I realized that I had no family.
我并且意识到我是没有家庭的。

The more I learnt, the more I thought,and the more unhappy I became.
我了解得越多便想得越多,从而也越伤心。

Soon I discovered who Sophie was.
不久我便知道了苏菲是什么人。

The two families had met in France after Sophie and her father arrived there from Turkey, their own country.
在苏菲和她父亲当初从她们的祖国土耳其到达法国后,他们两家便相识了。

Sophie’s father was put in prison by the French, but Felix and his father helped him to escape and leave France.
苏菲的父亲被法国人投进了监狱,但菲力克斯和他父亲帮他逃离了法国。

When the French discovered this,Felix and his family lost all their lands and money, and had to leave France for ever.
法国人发现了这件事情之后,菲力克斯和他家便失去了所有的土地和钱财,还得永久地离开法国。

Now I knew why they were so sad, and why they were poor.
现在我明白了他们为什么那样悲伤以及他们为什么贫穷。

But that was not all.
但是这还不是全部真相。

Sophie and Felix loved each other, and Sophie’s father had promised that they could marry.
苏菲和菲力克斯彼此相爱,苏菲的父亲也曾答应他们可以结婚的。

Then,when he learnt that Felix had lost all his money, he broke his promise.
后来,在他了解到菲力克斯已失去了所有的钱财后便背弃了自己的诺言。

But Sophie loved Felix very much,so she took some money and escaped from her father to search for Felix.
然而苏菲非常爱菲力克斯,于是她便拿了些钱从父亲那儿逃开来找菲力克斯。

I had learnt to love these good people and I could not wait another day to introduce myself.
我已经学会去爱这些好人并再也忍不住要去介绍我自己了。

I decided to speak first to the father, because he was blind, and would not be frightened by my terrible face and body.
我决定先和那个父亲谈谈,因为他是瞎子,不会被我那恐怖的面容和身体吓倒。

One day the three young people went for a walk while the old man rested.
一天,那三个年轻人出去散步而老人(在家)休息。

When they had gone, I went to the door of the house and knocked on it.
他们走后,我便走到房屋的门前并敲响了它。

The old man told me to enter, and to sit down.
老人让我进去并坐下。

‘Thank you,’ I said.
“谢谢您,”我说道。

‘I am a traveller, and I’m tired and sad.
“我是个旅行者,我又疲惫又伤心。

I have no family or friends.
我没有家庭或朋友。

The people that I want to have as my friends have never seen me.
我想和他们交朋友的那些人从未见过我。

If they don’t take me into their home, I shall be alone in the world.’
如果他们不接受我、把我纳为其家的一员的话,我就会孤独于世的。”

‘Don’t be so sad,’ the old man said.
“不要这样悲伤。”那个老人说道。

‘You will find that the hearts of men are full of love.
“你会发现人们的心中都充满了爱。

If these friends are good people, they will welcome you.’
如果这些朋友是好人,他们就会欢迎你的。”

‘They are kind, and the best people in the world,’ I said.
“他们很善良,是世界上最好的人,”我说道。

‘But when they meet me, they may not see a kind creature who has helped them.
“可是当他们遇见我时,他们就看不出我是一个曾帮助过他们的善良的人了。

Instead they may see a monster, and they will hate me.’
相反,他们会看到一个怪物,并且他们会恨我。”

‘That mustn’t happen,’the old man said.
“不会这样的。”老人说道。

‘My family and I have had our difficult times, and we’ll help you.’
“我和我们家曾度过艰苦的日子,我们会帮助你的。”

‘You are a very good man,’ I said.
“你真是个好人。”我说道。

‘and if you help me, I shall be able to live with my friends and enjoy their love.’
“如果你肯帮助我,那么我就能够同我的朋友们生活在一起并享受他们的爱了。”

At that moment I heard the young people returning from their walk.
就在那时,我听到那些年轻人散步归来。

I caught the old man’s hand, and cried.
我抓住老人的手并哭喊道。

‘Now is the time!Save me and help me! You and your family are the friends that I am talking about.’
“现在正是时候!救救我,帮帮我!你和你的家人就是我所谈论的朋友们。”

Then the door opened, and in came Felix, Sophie, and Agatha.
接着门开了,菲力克斯、苏菲还有阿加莎走了进来。

Their faces were filled with horror and fear when they saw me.
他们看到我时脸上都充满了恐惧的神色。

Agatha fainted, and Sophie ran out of the house.
阿加莎晕了过去,苏菲还跑出了屋子。

Felix ran forward and pulled me away from his father.
菲力克斯跑上前来,把我从他父亲手中拽开。

He threw me to the ground and hit me again and again with his heavy stick.
他把我摔倒在地并用沉重的棍棒不停地打我。

I did not lift a hand against him.
我没有还手。

I did not want to hurt him—or any of them.
我不想伤着他——或者他们中的任何人。

My heart was heavy, and all hope left me.
我的心情很沉重,所有的希望都破灭了。

I ran out of the house and later returned silently to my hut.
我跑出了屋子并在晚些时候悄悄地返回到我的茅屋中。

Nobody saw me.
没人看到了我。

上一篇:Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 7《弗兰肯斯坦7》

下一篇:Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 9《弗兰肯斯坦9》


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号