Chapter 7
第7章

Next morning, at half past four, Anna Harland stood in a quiet road in front of a hotel.
第二天早上,四点半,安娜·哈兰站在一家旅馆门前安静的街道上。

She waited, and then she heard a car behind the hotel.
她等待着,而后听到旅馆后面有汽车的声音。

The car doors opened and closed.
车门开了又关上了。

She waited quietly, and then looked down the road.
安娜静静地等待着,沿路望着。

A man walked into the road and stood next to a shop.
一个男的走上了这条街道,在一个小店旁站住了。

He did not look at Anna.
他没有看安娜。

But Anna looked at him, and smiled.
但是安娜看着他,笑了。

Then she walked into the hotel.
接着,她走进了旅馆。

She went upstairs and knocked on the door of a bedroom.
她上了楼,敲了敲一个房间的门。

A man answered.
一个男人应声了。

‘Who is it?’
“谁呀?”

‘It’s me, Stephen,’ she said. ‘Anna Harland. Open the door, please. I want to talk to you.’
“斯蒂芬,是我。”她说,”我是安娜·哈兰。开门吧,我要和你谈谈。”

The door opened, and Stephen looked out slowly.
门开了,斯蒂芬慢慢地向外张望。

‘Anna? What are you doing here at this time? It’s …’
“安娜?这个时候,你在这儿干什么?现在是……”

Anna walked quickly into the room.
安娜快步走进了房间。

‘Yes. It’s half past four. Sarah is in court again at ten o’clock. I need your help, young man. Please get up.’
“是的,才四点半。萨拉10点钟就又要上法庭了。年轻人,我需要你的帮助,起床吧。”

‘But … what can I do?’
“但是……我能做什么呢?”

Anna looked at him.
安娜看着他。

‘You went to see a man last night. What happened? Can he help Sarah?’
“你昨天晚上去见了一个人。怎么样?他能帮助萨拉吗?”

Stephen answered slowly. He did not look at Anna.
斯蒂芬慢条斯理地说:”不能,对不起,他帮不了萨拉。”但他没有看着安娜。

‘No. I’m sorry. He can’t.’
“不能,对不起,他帮不了萨拉。”

Anna was cold and angry.
安娜觉得浑身发冷,很生气。

‘I see,’ she said. ‘Well, can you and I help her then? Tell me, Stephen, what do you know about Hassan?’
“我明白了。”她说,”好吧,那我和你能帮助她吗?告诉我,斯蒂芬,关于哈桑,你知道些什么?”

‘Hassan?’ Stephen said angrily. ‘Well, we met him in Australia, and Sarah went away with him. She doesn’t understand him, but I do-he’s a rich young man with a beautiful body. He likes playing with girls, but he doesn’t love her!’
“哈桑?”斯蒂芬愤怒地说,”是这样的。我们在澳大利亚遇到他,然后萨拉就跟他走了。她不了解他,但我知道–他只是个仪表堂堂的富家子弟。他喜欢玩弄女孩子,但他不爱她!”

‘And do you love her, Stephen?’
“那你爱她吗,斯蒂芬?”

Stephen did not answer at once. For two or three seconds Anna waited.
斯蒂芬没有立刻回答。安娜等了两三秒钟。

‘He doesn’t know,’ she thought. ‘He can’t answer the question.’
“他不知道,”她想,”他不能回答这个问题。”

‘Yes, Mrs Harland. Of course I love her.’
“是的,哈兰太太,我当然爱她。”

‘But he’s not looking at me,’ Anna thought. ‘He’s looking out of the window. He’s not thinking about Sarah.’
“但是他没有看着我,”安娜想,”他看着窗外,他不是在想萨拉。”

‘Stephen,’ Anna asked quietly, ‘did you go to see Sarah and Hassan in Australia, the night before they came to this country?’
“斯蒂芬,”安娜平静地问,”萨拉和哈桑来这个国家的前一天晚上还在澳大利亚,你去看他们了吗?”

Stephen looked up at her. ‘Er … yes, I went to their hotel,’ he said. ‘I asked Sarah to leave Hassan and come back to me. But how did you know that?’
斯蒂芬抬起头,看着她,”呃……是的,我去了他们住的旅馆。”他说,”我让萨拉离开哈桑,回到我身边。不过,你是怎么知道这件事的?”

‘Sarah told me, of course. Was Hassan there?’
“当然是萨拉告诉我的。哈桑在场吗?”

‘No. He …’ Stephen stopped. Then he said, ‘Why do you ask?’
“不,他……”斯蒂芬停住了。接着他说:”你为什么要问这些?”

Anna opened her handbag. ‘Look at this,’ she said. ‘What is it? Do you know?’
安娜打开她的手提袋。”看看这个,”她说,”这是什么?你知道吗?”

He looked at it, and then at Anna. ‘A tube of toothpaste. Why?’
他看着它,又看看安娜。”一管牙膏,怎么了?”

‘That’s right. A policeman gave it to me. And he took it from a man. You met that man last night, Stephen. You gave him ten tubes of toothpaste. What was in those tubes of toothpaste, Stephen?’
“没错。这是一个警察给我的,他从一个男的那儿得到的。斯蒂芬,你昨天晚上去见了那个 人,你给了他10管牙膏。这些牙膏管里装的是什么,斯蒂芬?”

Stephen said nothing. He looked at the toothpaste, and stood up. But Anna was between him and the door. She gave the toothpaste to him.
斯蒂芬哑口无言。他看着牙膏,站了起来。但是安娜挡在了他和门之间。她把牙膏递给他。

‘Would you like to clean you teeth, Stephen?’
“你可以用它刷刷牙吗?斯蒂芬,可以吗?”

He began to move to the door, but Anna took his arm. ‘You don’t love Sarah, do you, Stephen? You hate her, because she left you! You put three of these tubes in Sarah’s bag, and then you phoned the police. You told them about the tubes in my daughter’s bag … You want Sarah to die!’
他开始向门口走去,但安娜抓住了他的胳膊。”你不爱萨拉,对不对,斯蒂芬?你恨她,因为她离开了你!你把三管这样的牙膏放在她的包里,而后你又给警察打电话,告诉他们我女儿包里的牙膏管……你想要萨拉死!”

‘No!’ Stephen said. ‘No, no … not Sarah … Hassan! I put them in Hassan’s bag, not Sarah’s. I wanted Hassan to die!’
“不!”斯蒂芬说,”不,不……不是萨拉……是哈桑!我把牙膏放在了哈桑的包里,而不是萨拉的。我想要哈桑去死!”

He opened the door quickly, and then stopped. A man stood there-Inspector Aziz. He put his hand on Stephen’s arm.
他迅速地打开门,却站住了。一个男人站在那儿–阿齐兹探长。他抓住了斯蒂芬的胳膊。

‘It’s an old story, young man,’ he said. ‘It happens every day. My first girlfriend left me for a new man. I was very angry too. I hated him. But I didn’t want to kill him. Come on. Let’s go. You can tell your story to the judge.’
“这是一个老套的故事,年轻人。”他说,”它天天都在上演。我的第一个女朋友为了另一个人离开了我。我也很愤怒。我恨他。但是我并不想杀他。来吧,我们走。你可以把你的故事讲给法官听。”


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注