第12章

The judge was an old, kind man, but his face was very serious as he looked at me.
法官是个善良的老人,但他在看着我时表情非常严峻。

He asked a number of men to tell me what they had seen and found the night before.
他叫了好几个人来告诉我他们在前一天晚上都看到了并发现了什么。

The first man told his story.
第一个人讲了他的故事。

He and his son were coming home from a long day’s fishing.
他和他的儿子钓了一天的鱼后正往家里走。

It was a dark night, and on the beach they had fallen over the dead body of a man.
那是个黑暗的夜晚,他们在海滩上被一具男尸绊倒了。

They had carried the body to the nearest house, and found that it was a good-looking young man about twenty-five years old.
他们把尸体扛到最近的一所房子,发现那是一个二十五岁左右的、面貌英俊的男人。

There were the marks of fingers round his neck.
他的脖子上有指痕。

When they spoke of the marks of fingers, I remembered the murder of my brother and I felt a terrible fear.
当他们说起指痕时,我想起了杀害我弟弟的凶手,于是便不寒而栗。

The son then told his story.
之后,那个儿子讲起了他的故事。

He had seen a boat with a man in it, not far from the beach.
他曾在离海岸不远的地方看到过上边有一个男人的一只船。

He thought it was my boat.
他认为那是我的船。

A woman had also seen a man in a boat sailing away from the beach.
一个女人也曾看到有个男人驾着一只船朝海里划去。

She thought I was the man.
她认为我就是那个人。

Then I was taken to the room where the dead body lay.
然后我被带到尸体停放的那个房间。

How can I tell you what I felt when I saw the body?
我该怎么形容我看到那具尸体时的感觉呢?

I put my arms round it and cried: ‘What have I done? My friend! My dear friend!’
我抱住尸体哭道:“我都干了什么啦?我的朋友!我亲爱的朋友!”

The body was Henry Clerval’s, and so now I had destroyed another person.
那是亨利·克勒沃的尸体,这样我又毁了另一个人的生命。

This third death was too much for me.
这第三起死亡事件对我打击太大了。

I fell down in a kind of madness, and they had to carry me from the room.
我近乎疯狂地倒在了地上,他们不得不把我从房间里抬走。

For two months I was very ill and wished only to die.
我大病了两个月的时间,一心只想去死。

But slowly my madness left me, and my health began to return.
但渐渐地我不再疯狂,身体也开始恢复了。

At last I was able to speak to Judge Kerwin, and I asked for news of my family.
最后我可以同克文法官谈话并问起我家人的情况。

‘There is someone here who can answer your question better than I can,’ he said.
“这儿有更好的人来回答你的问题。”他说道。

‘Your father arrived a few minutes ago, and is waiting to see you.’
“你父亲几分钟前来了,正等着看你呢。”

For the first time since Henry’s death I felt some happiness.
自从亨利死后,我首次感到了些许的快乐。

I held out my hands to my father as he came into the room, and he took me in his arms.
我父亲走进屋时我朝他伸出了双手,他把我搂进了怀里。

He gave me the good news that Elizabeth and Ernest were safe and well.
他告诉我一个好消息说伊丽莎白和欧内斯特均健康平安。

I was really too ill to travel, but I asked my father to take me home immediately.
我病得实在是太重,路也走不动了,但我要我父亲立刻把我带回家去。

The police had found somebody who had seen me on my island at the time of the murder, and so the judge let me go free.
警察已查到在谋杀发生时有人看见过我正在岛上,这样法官便释放了我。

My father looked after me on the long journey home, and sat with me for every minute.
我父亲在回家的漫长旅途中一直照顾着我,每时每刻都坐在我的身边。

Night after night while I was asleep, I shouted that I was the murderer of William, Justine, and Henry.
一个个晚上,我在熟睡时都大声说我是杀害威廉、贾斯汀和亨利的凶手。

My father asked me why I said these awful things.
我父亲问我为什么说出这些可怕的话。

I wanted to answer his question, but I could not tell him my terrible secret.
我想要回答他的问题,但又不能告诉他我那可怕的秘密。

He thought that I was still a little mad.
他认为我的大脑仍有些不正常。

We stayed for a few days in Paris on the way home, and Elizabeth wrote to me at our hotel.
回家途中我们在巴黎逗留了几天,伊丽莎白给我写了封信寄到了旅店。

This is what her letter said:
信是这样写的:

My dearest Victor, I am so happy to know that you will soon be home.
我最亲爱的维克多:知道你很快就要回家了我非常高兴。

But I am afraid that Henry’s death is not the only reason for your sadness.
可是我担心亨利的死并不是你伤心的唯一原因。

Do you still want to marry me, or do you love another woman?
你是仍然想要娶我,还是爱上了另外一个女人?

You must tell me.
你必须告诉我。

I love you, Victor, and I dream of the day when I shall be your wife.
我爱你,维克多;我梦想着成为你的妻子的那一天。

But I do not want you to marry me just because your parents wanted it.
但是我不希望你只是因为你父母的意愿而娶我。

I can only be happy if you are happy.
只有在你幸福时我才会幸福。

Do not answer this letter.
不要回信。

Wait until you arrive before you give me your answer.
等你回来再给我答复。

But if you are well, and if I can make you smile, I need nothing more to make me happy.
但是如果你身体健康或者我能让你微笑的话,那么我就再高兴不过了。

With all my love, Elizabeth
爱你的,伊丽莎白

I replied immediately.
我立刻回了信。

I told her that I loved her very much and wanted to marry her.
我告诉她我非常爱她并想和她结婚。

I remembered the monster’s promise to be with me on the night of my wedding.
我想起了怪物许过的要在我的新婚之夜同我在一起的诺言。

Let him come.
就让他来吧。

We would fight to the death on that night.
我们可以在那天晚上拼死搏斗。

And after that fight, I would either be dead and at peace, or alive and free… free to be happy with Elizabeth.
搏斗之后,我要么安祥地死去,要么自由地活着……自由而幸福地同伊丽莎白呆在一起。

We arrived in Geneva soon after my letter had reached Elizabeth.
伊丽莎白收到我的信后不久我们便到了日内瓦。

It was wonderful to see her again.
再见到她真是太美好了。

She ran into my arms and I held her close.
她扑到我的怀里,我紧紧地搂住了她。

She cried when she saw how thin and old I looked.
当她看到我又瘦削又显老时哭了。

She, too, was thinner because she had worried about me so much.
她因为一直非常牵挂我也瘦了。

But her gentleness and her love made her as beautiful as ever.
但是她的温柔和爱意使她永远美丽。

We agreed that the wedding would be in ten days’ time.
我们商定十天后举行婚礼。

As the day came nearer, I became more and more afraid.
这一天越是临近,我越是害怕。

I tried to hide my fear, and laughed and smiled as often as I could.
我竭力隐藏我的恐惧之感,尽量露出欢声笑语。

Elizabeth knew that I was unhappy, but she was sure she could give me happiness.
伊丽莎白知道我不高兴,但她确信她可以给我幸福。

She looked forward to our wedding.
她期盼着我们的婚礼。

I began to carry a gun and a knife with me everywhere I went.
我开始随身携带着一把枪和一把刀子。

上一篇:Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 11《弗兰肯斯坦11》

下一篇:Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 13《弗兰肯斯坦13》


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号