第4章
In my laboratory I made a body.
我在我的实验室中造了一个人体。
I bought or stole all the pieces of human body that I needed, and slowly and carefully, I put them all together.
我所需要的人体各部分均是我买来或偷来的,然后我缓慢而细心地把它们拼凑到了一起。
I did not let anybody enter my laboratory or my flat while I was doing this awful work.
在干这项可怕的工作时,我没有让任何人进入我的实验室和我的住处。
I was afraid to tell anybody my terrible secret.
我不敢告诉任何人我那可怕的秘密。
I had wanted to make a beautiful man, but the face of the creature was horrible.
我曾想造一个漂亮的男人,但这个家伙的脸非常可怕:
Its skin was thin and yellow, and its eyes were as yellow as its skin.
皮肤又薄又黄,眼睛同皮肤一样黄。
Its long black hair and white teeth were almost beautiful, but the rest of the face was very ugly.
黑长的头发和白色的牙齿倒也漂亮,脸上的其余部分却很丑陋。
Its legs and arms were the right shape, but they were huge.
它的腿和胳膊的形状是对的,但它们太大了。
I had to use big pieces because it was too difficult to join small pieces together.
因为拼接小片的人体太困难了,我只得用大片的去拼接。
My creature was two and a half metres tall.
我创造的这个东西2.5米高。
For a year I had worked to make this creature, but now it looked terrible and frightening.
我曾为制造这个东西工作了一年时间,现在它却看上去恐怖吓人。
I almost decided to destroy it.
我几乎要决定毁了它。
But I could not.
但我做不到。
I had to know if I could put life into it.
我必须知道我是否能将生命植入其中。
I joined the body to the wires from my machine.
我把那个身体同我机器上的那些电线连接起来。
More wires joined the machine to the mast.
更多的电线再把机器和杆子连接起来。
I was sure that my machine could use electricity from lightning to give life to the body.
我确信我的机器可以用闪电给那个身体生命。
I watched and waited.
我观察着、等待着。
Two days later I saw dark clouds in the sky, and I knew that a storm was coming.
两天后我看到天上有了乌云,知道将有一场暴风雨来临。
At about one o’clock in the morning the lightning came.
大约在凌晨1点钟闪电闪了一下。
My mast began to do its work immediately, and the electricity from the lightning travelled down the mast to my machine.
我的杆子立即开始工作,闪电通过杆子传到了我的机器上。
Would the machine work?
机器会管用吗?
At first nothing happened.
起先没有发生什么。
But after a few minutes I saw the creature’s body begin to move.
但是几分钟过后我看见那个东西的躯体在动。
Slowly, terribly, the body came alive.
那具躯体缓慢而怕人地变活了。
His arms and legs began to move, and slowly he sat up.
他的胳膊和腿开始移动,而且他慢慢地坐了起来。
The dead body had been an ugly thing, but alive, he was much more horrible.
那个无生命的躯体本来就可怕,而现在变成活的就更加恐怖了。
Suddenly I wanted to escape from him.
突然间我想逃开。
I ran out of the laboratory, and locked the door.
我跑出实验室并且锁上了门。
I was filled with fear at what I had done.
我对我所做的一切充满了恐惧。
For hours I walked up and down in my flat.
有好几个小时我都在我的房间里走来走去。
At last I lay down on my bed, and fell asleep.
最后我躺倒在床上并睡着了。
But my sleep was full of terrible dreams, and I woke up suddenly.
可是恶梦萦绕着我,我便猛然醒了过来。
The horrible thing that I had created was standing by my bed.
我所创造的那个可怕的东西正站在我的床边。
His yellow eyes were looking at me; his mouth opened and he made strange sounds at me.
他的黄色的眼睛正看着我。他的嘴张着并对我发出奇怪的声音。
On his yellow face there was an awful smile.
他的黄色的脸庞上露出可怕的笑容。
One of his huge hands reached towards me…
他的一只大手伸向了我……
Before he could touch me, I jumped off the bed and ran downstairs into the garden.
没等他碰到我,我便跳下床冲到了楼下的花园里。
I stayed there all night, but I could not think clearly.
我整个晚上都呆在那儿,只是思维已不清楚了。
I was afraid.
我很害怕。
And when morning came, I went out into the town and began to walk about.
等到早上,我便走出花园到城里去并开始四处逛悠。
I did not notice where I was walking, but soon I came to the station.
我没注意我在什么地方走,但不久便到了火车站。
A train from Geneva had just arrived, and the passengers were leaving the station.
刚好从日内瓦来了一趟火车,乘客正走出车站。
One of them ran towards me when he saw me.
其中一位见到我后便朝我跑了过来。
It was my dear friend Henry Clerval.
原来是我的好朋友亨利·克勒沃。
He was very pleased to see me.
他见到我很高兴。
He took my hand and shook it warmly.
他抓住我的手热情地握了起来。
‘My dear Victor!’ he said.
“我亲爱的维克多!”他说道,
‘What a lucky chance that you are here at the station.
“你在车站这儿真是巧极了。
Your father, and Elizabeth and the others, are very worried about you, because you have not visited them for a long time.
你父亲、伊丽莎白还有其他人都非常为你担心,因为你很久没有探望他们了。
They ask me to make sure that you are well.
他们让我来看看你的身体是否还好。
And I have very good news.
另外我还有个好消息。
My father has agreed to let me study at the university, so we shall be able to spend a lot of time together.’
我父亲已同意让我上大学学习,这样我们就能有好多时间呆在一起了。”
I was very happy to hear this news, and for a moment I for-got my fears.
我听了这个消息后很高兴,并且有一阵儿都忘记了我的恐惧之感。
I took Henry back to my flat and asked him to wait outside while I went in to look.
我把亨利带回我的公寓并让他在外面等着以便我能进去看一看。
I was afraid that the creature was still there.
我害怕那个家伙还在那儿。
But he had disappeared.
但是他已经不见了。
At that time I did not think of other people, and what the creature could do to them.
那时我没有想到过其他人以及那个家伙会对他们怎么样。
I took Henry into the flat and cooked a meal for us.
我把亨利领进屋里并给我们做了顿吃的。
But Henry noticed how thin I was,and that I was laughing too much and could not sit still.
然而亨利注意到了我有多么瘦削,我还笑得太多,也不能安静地坐着。
Suddenly he said:‘My dear Victor, what is the matter with you?Are you ill? Has something awful happened?’
他突然说道:“我亲爱的维克多,你怎么啦?你生病了吗?发生了什么可怕的事情了吗?”
‘Don’t ask me that,’ I cried.
“别问我这个,”我喊道。
I put my hands over my eyes.
我用手捂住眼睛。
I thought I could see the horrible creature there in front of me.
当时我想我能看见那个可怕的家伙正在我的面前。
I pointed wildly across the room, and shouted:‘He can tell you.
我发疯似地指向屋子,并且喊道:“他能告诉你。
Save me! Save me!’
救救我!救救我!”
I tried to fight the creature,but there was nothing there.
我想去同那个家伙搏斗,但那儿什么也没有。
Then I fainted and fell to the floor.
然后我就晕过去,倒在了地板上。
Poor Henry! I do not know what he thought.
可怜的亨利!我不知道他当时是怎么想的。
He called a doctor and they put me to bed.
他叫了个医生并且一起把我扶到了床上。
I was very ill for two months,and Henry stayed and looked after me.
我大病了两个月,亨利一直留下来照顾我。
His loving care saved me from death.
他那充满爱意的护理把我从死亡那儿救了回来。
I wanted to go home and see my family as soon as possible.
我想尽快回家去见我的家人。
When I was well enough,I packed my clothes and books.
在我恢复得足够强壮后,我便收拾起衣服和书籍。
All my luggage was ready, and I was feeling very happy when the postman arrived with some letters.
我的行李都已准备好了,但是正当我无比高兴时邮递员给我送来了几封信。
One of the letters ended my short time of happiness.
其中的一封结束了我短暂的快乐时光。
0 条评论