
A BIRDCATCHER was about to sit down to a dinner of herbs when a friend unexpectedly came in. — 一个捕鸟人刚准备坐下来吃一顿青菜,这时一个朋友突然走了进来。 —
The bird-trap was quite empty, as he had caught nothing, and he had to kill a pied Partridge, which he had tamed for a decoy. — 捕鸟人的捕鸟器是空的,因为他什么也没抓到,他不得不杀死了一只已经被他驯化成诱饵的杂色山鹑。 —
The bird entreated earnestly for his life: — 鸟恳求他饶命: —
“What would you do without me when next you spread your nets? — “下次你张网的时候,没有我该怎么办? —
Who would chirp you to sleep, or call for you the covey of answering birds? — 谁会给你叫鸟儿们就寝,或者呼唤它们回应呢? —
’ The Birdcatcher spared his life, and determined to pick out a fine young Cock just attaining to his comb. — 捕鸟人原谅了他,并决定选择一只正在长鸡冠的好鸡。 —
But the Cock expostulated in piteous tones from his perch: — 但是那只公鸡从架子上用可怜的声音辩解说: —
“If you kill me, who will announce to you the appearance of the dawn? — “如果你杀了我,谁会告诉你黎明的出现呢? —
Who will wake you to your daily tasks or tell you when it is time to visit the bird-trap in the morning? — 谁会叫醒你去做日常工作,或者告诉你何时去早上检查鸟网呢? —
’ He replied, “What you say is true. — 他回答说:“你说得对。 —
You are a capital bird at telling the time of day. — 你的确是一个善于报时的好鸟。 —
But my friend and I must have our dinners.” 但是我和我的朋友还是要吃晚餐。”
Necessity knows no law. 需要无法违背法律。
0 条评论