理查德·利特尔遇鬼 (Richard Little’s House)
The year is 1653. It is a cold, dark winter night and Richard Little, a man of forty, is sitting in his chair. He is reading a book. He hears something. He goes to the window, looks out and then goes back to the chair. His wife, Mary, comes in. She is making a dress. She has the dress in her hand.
时值1653年。那是一个寒冷漆黑的冬夜,四十岁的理查德·利特尔正坐在椅子上看书。他听到了动静,走到窗前向外看了看,然后又回到椅子上。他的妻子玛丽走了进来,她正在做裙子,手里正拿着那条裙子。
RICHARD: Mary, I can hear something outside.
理查德:玛丽,我听到外面有动静。
MARY: There’s nothing there. Read your book, Richard.
玛丽:没什么动静,理查德,你继续看书吧。
RICHARD: Come and sit with me.
理查德:过来陪我坐坐。
MARY: No. I’m making a dress. I’m going upstairs.
玛丽:不行,我正忙着做裙子呢。我要上楼去了。
RICHARD: Mary, please. There’s something out there.
理查德:玛丽,求你了,外面真的有东西。
MARY: Oh, Richard!
玛丽:唉,理查德!
Mary goes out and James Heston’s ghost comes in.
玛丽下场,詹姆斯·赫斯顿的幽灵上场。
HESTON: Hello, Richard.
赫斯顿:你好啊,理查德。
RICHARD: Aaaagh! You! James! James Heston! But you – you’re dead!
理查德:啊!是你!詹姆斯!詹姆斯·赫斯顿!可你——你已经死了!
HESTON: Yes. I am dead. But I can’t find peace because of you.
赫斯顿:没错,我是死了。但因为我,我不得安宁。
RICHARD: Because of me? Why – why because of me?
理查德:因为我?为什么——为什么是因为我?
HESTON: Beth had a new husband after me. That animal, Keech.
赫斯顿:我死后,贝丝又嫁了人,就是那个禽兽基奇。
RICHARD: Yes. Beth was a good woman. And a good sister to me. I said to her, ‘Don’t go with Keech. Think of James. He’s dead now.’
理查德:是的。贝丝是个好女人,也是我的好姐姐。我当时就跟她说:“别跟基奇走,想想詹姆斯吧,他已经死了。”
HESTON: She was Keech’s wife for only three months. Then she died. And now Keech has my son. And he has my son’s money.
赫斯顿:她嫁给基奇才三个月就死了。现在基奇霸占了我的儿子,还霸占了我儿子的钱。
RICHARD: Ah. I understand now.
理查德:啊,我明白了。
HESTON: Oh, you remember now? Before I died, I said to you, ‘My boy gets my money at twenty-one and not before.’ He is eight now, Eight. And Keech has his money. My boy gets my money at twenty-one and not before.’
赫斯顿:哦,你现在想起来了?我死前曾对你说:“我儿子到21岁才能拿这笔钱。”他现在才8岁,才8岁呀,基奇就拿走了他的钱。我儿子到21岁才能拿这笔钱。
RICHARD: I’m sorry about that, but what can I do?
理查德:对此我很抱歉,但我能做什么呢?
HESTON: You must get my boy’s money. Get it from Keech.
赫斯顿:你必须拿回我儿子的钱,从基奇那里拿回来。
RICHARD: No! Keech can kill me with one hand. He’s big – he always has a knife in his pocket. Last year he killed a man with that knife. I’m afraid of him, James.
理查德:不!基奇一只手就能杀了我。他是个大块头——他口袋里总是揣着把刀。去年他就是用那把刀杀了一个人。我怕他呀,詹姆斯。
HESTON: Are you afraid of me?
赫斯顿:那你怕我吗?
RICHARD: No. Oh! Yes, a little. You’re a ghost!
理查德:不怕。啊!是的,有一点点。你是鬼魂啊!
HESTON: Only a little, eh? Look at the table.
赫斯顿:只有一点点吗?嗯?看看那张桌子。
RICHARD: (Looking at the table) Oh no! The table is moving! (He stands up and walks to the table.) Oh no! Oh, the chair is moving now! And now my chair is moving! James! Don’t do this to me!
理查德:(盯着桌子)哦不!桌子在动!(他站起来走到桌边。)哦不!椅子现在也在动!我的椅子也在动!詹姆斯!别这样对我!
HESTON: At this minute, Keech is building a new home in a village near here with my son’s money. Stop him!
赫斯顿:此时此刻,基奇正用我儿子的钱在附近村子里盖新房呢。去阻止他!
RICHARD: I’m sorry, James. I can’t. (He gets a book and throws it across the room.) I didn’t want – that was my hand but – James, can you get in my head? Can you tell my hand–
理查德:抱歉,詹姆斯,我做不到。(他拿起一本书扔到房间另一头。)我不想的——那是我的手,可是——詹姆斯,你能钻进我的脑袋里吗?你能控制我的手——
He looks at his hand and at the book.
他看着自己的手和那本书。
HESTON: (Laughing) Yes, Richard. And your answer is going to be ‘Yes’. Or you are going to do this again and again and again and–
赫斯顿:(大笑)是的,理查德。你的答案必须是“是”。否则你就会一遍又一遍地这样做——
Richard gets a book and throws it across the room again. Then he runs across the room. Then he moves the table, the chairs and his chair. Heston laughs. Richard stops.
理查德又拿起一本书扔了出去,然后在房间里跑来跑去,接着又移动桌子、椅子和他自己的椅子。赫斯顿大笑,理查德停了下来。
RICHARD: I’m going mad! Why does my hand throw a book, when I don’t want to? Can all dead people do this? Can they get in a man’s head, so he moves a chair or throws a book?
理查德:我要疯了!为什么我不想扔书,我的手却扔了?所有死人都能这样吗?他们能钻进人的脑袋里,让人移动椅子或扔书吗?
HESTON: Oh yes. Now, I can do it to you again or you can say ‘Yes’ and get my son’s money. Which?
赫斯顿:哦,当然。现在,我可以再对你来一次,或者你回答“是”并拿回我儿子的钱。你选哪个?
RICHARD: But how? How can I get the money from Keech?
理查德:可我怎么拿?我怎么从基奇那里拿回钱?
HESTON: Sit down. I’m going to tell you.
赫斯顿:坐下,我来告诉你。
戴维·基奇出庭 (David Keech in Court)
In the court we can see Judge Timms, Keech, Barker, Reynolds, Richard and Mary. There are six women and six men behind Keech. They are from the village and they are watching the trial. Judge Timms is in a big chair in front of the court.
法庭上有蒂姆斯法官、基奇、巴克、雷诺兹、理查德和玛丽。基奇身后有六男六女,他们是来看庭审的村民。蒂姆斯法官坐在法庭前方的大椅子上。
The trial of David Keech.
戴维·基奇的庭审。
BARKER: (Standing) My name is Oliver Barker. And I speak for Richard Little here today.
巴克:(站起来)我叫奥利弗·巴克,今天我代表理查德·利特尔发言。
He sits. Reynolds stands up.
他坐下。雷诺兹站起来。
REYNOLDS: Judge Timms. I speak for David Keech here today. My name is Philip Reynolds. (He sits.)
雷诺兹:蒂姆斯法官,我今天代表戴维·基奇,我叫菲利普·雷诺兹。(他坐下。)
WOMAN 1: That Keech took the boy’s money. You can see it in his face.
村妇一:基奇拿走了那孩子的钱,从他脸上就能看出来。
WOMAN 2: Oh Lil, we must listen to Oliver Barker and Philip Reynolds first.
村妇二:哦莉尔,我们得先听听奥利弗·巴克和菲利普·雷诺兹怎么说。
MAN 1: Keech is the boy Tom’s father now.
村夫一:基奇现在是那孩子汤姆的父亲了。
MAN 2: A good father doesn’t take his son’s money and build a new house with it.
村夫二:好父亲是不会拿儿子的钱去盖新房的。
TIMMS: Be quiet in my court!
蒂姆斯:法庭肃静!
WOMAN 1: Sorry!
村妇一:对不起!
TIMMS: Oliver Barker. You can begin.
蒂姆斯:奥利弗·巴克,你可以开始了。
BARKER: (Standing) Judge Timms. Before James Heston died, he said this to Richard Little. He said, ‘My boy gets my money at twenty-one and not before.’
巴克:(站起来)蒂姆斯法官,詹姆斯·赫斯顿死前曾对理查德·利特尔说过这样的话。他说:“我儿子到21岁才能继承我的财产,之前不能。”
TIMMS: (Writing) ‘At twenty-one and not before…’
蒂姆斯:(记录)“到21岁才能继承……”
BARKER: Yes, judge. But Keech has this money now. The boy’s money. He is building a big house with it. We all know that.
巴克:是的,法官。但基奇现在就拿着这笔钱。那孩子的钱。他正用这笔钱盖大房子。我们都知道。
MAN 1: (Starting to eat something) Put Keech in prison, I say.
村夫一:(开始吃东西)我说,把基奇关进监狱。
MAN 6: (Eating) Five years.
村夫六:(吃东西)关五年。
WOMAN 6: (Eating) No, ten.
村妇六:(吃东西)不,十年。
TIMMS: You! Don’t eat in my court! Philip Reynolds. Speak.
蒂姆斯:你们!别在法庭上吃东西!菲利普·雷诺兹,你发言吧。
REYNOLDS: (Standing) Judge Timms. Yes, there is a house in a village near here. And, yes, it is Keech’s house. But the money for it is not young Tom’s money.
雷诺兹:(站起来)蒂姆斯法官,是的,这附近村子里是有一栋房子。而且,是的,那是基奇的房子。但这盖房子的钱不是小汤姆的钱。
TIMMS: (Writing) Not Tom’s money.
蒂姆斯:(记录)不是汤姆的钱。
REYNOLDS: No, Judge Timms. It is David Keech’s money.
雷诺兹:不是的,蒂姆斯法官。那是戴维·基奇自己的钱。
Reynolds sits.
雷诺兹坐下。
BARKER: (Standing) So one day Keech is not rich and the next day he is rich? He has money for a house?
巴克:(站起来)所以基奇前一天还没钱,第二天就变富了?他有钱盖房子了?
Men and women laugh. Barker sits.
众人发笑。巴克坐下。
REYNOLDS: (Standing) Call David Keech.
雷诺兹:(站起来)传戴维·基奇。
Keech stands in front of Judge Timms.
基奇站到蒂姆斯法官面前。
REYNOLDS: David Keech. Where is the boy Tom’s money? Do you have it at home?
雷诺兹:戴维·基奇,那个叫汤姆的男孩的钱在哪里?在你家里吗?
KEECH: No.
基奇:不在。
WOMAN 3: Keech took the money! It was Keech!
村妇三:基奇拿走了钱!就是基奇!
WOMAN 6: I said, ‘Keech took the money!’ I said that yesterday!
村妇六:我说过:“基奇拿走了钱!”我昨天就说过了!
KEECH: I have the money here. In this court.
基奇:我把钱放这儿了。在这法庭上。
MEN AND WOMEN 1-3: (All talking) No! Never! Keech didn’t take the money then! The money’s here! Here in this court!
村民一至三:(交头接耳)不!不可能!这么说基奇没拿钱!钱都在这儿!在这法庭上!
KEECH: The money is under my chair. You! Woman! Bring me the money!
基奇:钱就在我的椅子下面。你!那个女人!把钱给我拿来!
WOMAN 1: Me?
村妇一:我?
KEECH: Yes, you! (There is a bag under Keech’s chair. Woman 1 takes it and gives it to Keech.)
基奇:是的,就是你!(基奇椅子下面有个袋子。村妇一把袋子拿出来交给了基奇。)
WOMAN 1: Here you are. (She sits down again.)
村妇一:给你。(她又坐下了。)
KEECH: (Opening the bag and taking out money) Here! Judge Timms! Here! Richard Little! Here! Look, everybody! Here is the money! So I didn’t take it from the boy! You hear me, Richard Little?
基奇:(打开袋子拿出钱)在这儿!蒂姆斯法官!在这儿!理查德·利特尔!在这儿!大家快看!钱在这儿!所以我没拿那孩子的钱!你听到了吗,理查德·利特尔?
RICHARD: (Afraid) Yes.
理查德:(害怕地)是的。
TIMMS: One minute! Richard Little.
蒂姆斯:等一下!理查德·利特尔。
RICHARD: (Standing, looking afraid) Yes, Judge Timms?
理查德:(站起来,看起来很害怕)什么事,蒂姆斯法官?
TIMMS: You said, ‘Keech took the boy’s money’. You said that. Why? Why, man, why? Why say that?
蒂姆斯:你说过:“基奇拿走了那孩子的钱”。你确实说过。为什么?为什么,伙计,为什么这么说?
RICHARD: Because – because. Because James Heston came to my home. James Heston said it to me.
理查德:因为——因为。因为詹姆斯·赫斯顿来我家了。是詹姆斯·赫斯顿告诉我的。
MEN AND WOMEN 4-6: (All talking) James Heston? Did he say ‘Heston’? Heston’s dead. A ghost came?
村民四至六:(交头接耳)詹姆斯·赫斯顿?他说的是“赫斯顿”?赫斯顿死了。鬼魂来了?
TIMMS: Richard Little, James Heston is dead. He died in 1651.
蒂姆斯:理查德·利特尔,詹姆斯·赫斯顿已经死了。他1651年就死了。
MEN AND WOMEN: (All laughing and talking) He talked to a dead man! James Heston! Oh, that’s a laugh!
众人:(哄堂大笑)他跟死人说话!詹姆斯·赫斯顿!哦,真是笑话!
MARY: (Standing) Judge Timms. My husband is ill. In our house he talks to people and there is nobody there. Can I take him home now, please?
玛丽:(站起来)蒂姆斯法官。我丈夫病了。在家里他跟空气说话。我现在能带他回家吗,求您了?
The men and women are all laughing.
众人都在大笑。
RICHARD: I am not ill! Stop laughing! Be quiet, all of you! Sit down, Mary.
理查德:我没病!别笑了!你们都安静!坐下,玛丽。
Men and women stop laughing. Mary sits down.
众人止住笑声。玛丽坐下。
RICHARD: Thank you! (It is quiet in the court now.) Yes. James Heston is dead. And yes, James Heston spoke to me. I want James Heston here. Now. He can tell you.
理查德:谢谢!(法庭现在安静了。)是的。詹姆斯·赫斯顿是死了。但詹姆斯·赫斯顿确实跟我说话了。我要詹姆斯·赫斯顿到这儿来。现在。他可以告诉你们。
MAN 4: He is ill!
村夫四:他病了!
MAN 5: He’s mad!
村夫五:他疯了!
WOMAN 4: Let’s listen to him.
村妇四:咱们听听他说什么吧。
WOMAN 5: Yes, we can listen to him.
村妇五:是的,我们可以听听。
TIMMS: Be quiet! Call James Heston! I say, call James Heston to this court!
蒂姆斯:安静!传詹姆斯·赫斯顿!我说,传詹姆斯·赫斯顿到庭!
KEECH: Heston is dead, man! And Richard Little is mad!
基奇:赫斯顿死了,伙计!理查德·利特尔疯了!
TIMMS: Call James Heston!
蒂姆斯:传詹姆斯·赫斯顿!
For a minute, we can hear nothing. Then we hear James Heston’s voice, but we cannot see him.
有一分钟,我们什么都听不到。然后我们听到了詹姆斯·赫斯顿的声音,但看不见他。
HESTON’S GHOST: I am James Heston.
赫斯顿的幽灵:我是詹姆斯·赫斯顿。
MEN AND WOMEN: Aaaaaagh! Oh! Oh, but he’s dead!
众人:啊!哦!哦,可他已经死了!
KEECH: No! No! Oh please no!
基奇:不!不!哦不要啊!
MEN AND WOMEN: (All talking) It’s Heston! Is Heston dead, then? Aaaagh! Oh I’m afraid! Oh please!
众人:(交头接耳)是赫斯顿!那赫斯顿真的死了?啊!哦我害怕!哦求求了!
TIMMS: James Heston? Is it you? Did you speak to Richard Little?
蒂姆斯:詹姆斯·赫斯顿?是你吗?你跟理查德·利特尔说过话吗?
HESTON’S GHOST: Yes.
赫斯顿的幽灵:是的。
TIMMS: What did you say?
蒂姆斯:你说什么了?
HESTON’S GHOST: I told him, Keech took my boy’s money. And then Keech killed a man in the next village. He was a rich man. Keech took his money. You see the money now. Here. In this court.
赫斯顿的幽灵:我告诉他,基奇拿走了我儿子的钱。然后基奇在隔壁村杀了个人。那是个富人。基奇拿走了他的钱。你们现在看到的钱就是。就在这儿。在这法庭上。
KEECH: Aaagh! I can’t kill Heston. Heston is dead. But you! You, Richard Little! You brought me to this court. I’m going to kill you next!
基奇:啊!我杀不了赫斯顿。赫斯顿死了。但你!你,理查德·利特尔!你把我弄到这法庭上来的。我接下来就要杀了你!
Keech runs out of the court.
基奇跑出了法庭。
TIMMS: Stop him! Stop him!
蒂姆斯:拦住他!拦住他!
MEN AND WOMEN: (All talking) It was Keech! Keech took the money! I said that! I said, ‘Keech took the money!’
众人:(交头接耳)是基奇!基奇拿走了钱!我说过!我说过:“基奇拿走了钱!”
TIMMS: This court says, ‘Keech took the money. And Keech killed a man.’ Now find David Keech and bring him to me!
蒂姆斯:本法庭宣判:“基奇拿走了钱。而且基奇杀了人。”现在去把戴维·基奇找来见我!
基奇找到理查德·利特尔 (Keech finds Richard Little)
Richard is sitting in his chair, at home.
理查德坐在家里的椅子上。
RICHARD: What’s that? Can I hear something? Mary, is that you? Oh no, it’s not James again! James, is that you? (He looks at the door, very afraid.) Aaaagh! Oh no!
理查德:那是什么?我听到什么了吗?玛丽,是你吗?哦不,不是詹姆斯又来了吧!詹姆斯,是你吗?(他看着门,非常害怕。)啊!哦不!
David Keech comes in. He has a knife.
戴维·基奇走了进来。他拿着一把刀。
RICHARD: Oh no! Keech, please! No!
理查德:哦不!基奇,求你了!不要啊!
Keech kills Richard, then runs away. Mary comes in and sees Richard.
基奇杀死了理查德,然后逃跑了。玛丽进来,看到了理查德。
MARY: Oh no! Not Richard. Not my darling, darling Richard. Keech killed him. You’re going to go to prison for this, Keech.
玛丽:哦不!不是理查德。不是我亲爱的理查德。基奇杀了他。基奇,你会为此进监狱的。
A visit for Keech in prison
狱中探访基奇
Keech is in prison. He is sitting on his bed. He has a table, a chair and a book there, too.
基奇在狱中。他坐在床上,牢房里有一张桌子和一把椅子,还有一本书。
KEECH
基奇
Hello? What’s that? Is there someone there? Aaagh! My table! My table is moving. (He stands.) Aaagh! Now the bed’s moving. Am I ill? Oh my head! (He puts his head in his hands.) Oh! Now the chair is moving. What’s happening? (He takes the book and throws it across the room.) Why did I do that? Am I mad? It was my hand but–
有人吗?那是什么?有人在那儿吗?啊!我的桌子!我的桌子动了。(他站了起来。)啊!现在床也动了。我病了吗?啊!我的脑袋!(他用双手抱住头。)啊!现在椅子也动了。怎么回事?(他拿起书,扔到牢房的另一头。)我为什么那么做?我疯了吗?这是我的手,可是——
The ghost of Richard comes in.
理查德的幽灵上场。
KEECH
基奇
Aaaaghh! You’re dead! I killed you!
啊!你已经死了!我杀了你!
RICHARD
理查德
Yes. I’m dead. And you killed me. But I’m not going away. I’m staying here, in prison with you.
是的,我已经死了,是你杀了我。可我不打算离开,我就待在这儿,和你一同待在监狱里。
Keech wants to hit Richard’s ghost, but he cannot. Richard laughs.
基奇想要打理查德的幽灵,可他打不着。理查德笑了起来。
RICHARD
理查德
You can’t hit me now. You can’t hit a ghost. And you can’t kill me again. But we can talk. We have time for that. We have all day.
你现在打不了我了。你打不了幽灵,你也不能再杀我一次。不过我们可以聊聊,我们有的是时间,我们整个白天都可以聊天。
Keech throws a book across the room.
基奇把一本书扔到牢房的另一头。
RICHARD
理查德
And you can do that all day too.
而且你也可以整个白天都干这个。
KEECH
基奇
All day? All the time?
整个白天?一刻不停?
RICHARD
理查德
Yes. (He lies on the bed.) Now throw the book across the room again. (Keech does it.) And again and again and again.
是的。(他躺在床上。)现在再把书扔到牢房的另一头。(基奇照做了。)再扔一次再扔一次再扔一次。
KEECH
基奇
(Throwing the book again and again) Oh no! Please! Are all my days going to be like this?
(一次又一次不停地扔书)啊不!求你了!我以后每个白天都会像这样吗?
RICHARD
理查德
Your days, yes. And for your nights – I have a friend here.
是的,你每个白天都是这样。至于你晚上的时间——我这儿还有个朋友。
James Heston’s ghost comes in.
詹姆斯·赫斯顿的幽灵上场。
HESTON
赫斯顿
Hello, Richard. Hello, David.
你好,理查德。你好,戴维。
KEECH
基奇
You! You here too!
是你!你也来这儿了!
HESTON
赫斯顿
(Smiling) Yes, David, throw the book across the room, please. (Keech does it.) Thank you. I’m going to be here at night, David. And you have Richard here every day. All right?
(微笑着)是的。戴维,请把书扔到牢房的另一头。(基奇照做了。)谢谢。我以后晚上就会到这里来,戴维,而每个白天都有理查德在这儿,怎么样?
KEECH
基奇
Oh no! No!
啊不!不!
HESTON
赫斯顿
One ghost for the day, one ghost for the night. Now throw the book across the room again.
一个幽灵负责白天,一个幽灵负责晚上。嗳,再把书扔到牢房的另一头去。
Keech does it. Richard and Heston laugh.
基奇照做了。理查德和赫斯顿哈哈大笑。
0 条评论