2 ROGER NOWELL 罗杰·诺埃尔
John Law was ill because Alizon cursed him, and his son wanted Roger Nowell to question Alizon.
由于艾丽森的诅咒,约翰·劳病倒了。他的儿子希望罗杰·诺埃尔审问艾丽森。
Roger Nowell was a rich and important man in Lancashire, and he was the judge for all the villages near Pendle Hill.
罗杰·诺埃尔是兰开夏郡一个有钱有势的人,他是潘德尔山一带所有村落的法官。
He lived at Read Hall, seven miles from Newchurch.
他住在里德宅院,离纽丘奇村7英里远。
On the thirtieth day of March, Mr Nowell’s men came to Malkin Tower.
3月30日那天,诺埃尔先生手下的人来到了马尔金塔。
Mr Nowell wanted to see Alizon at once.
因为诺埃尔先生想马上见一见艾丽森。
We walked from Malkin Tower to Read Hall: my sister Alizon, my brother James, and our mother, Elizabeth Device.
我们一行离开了马尔金塔步行前往里德宅院:我的姐姐艾丽森,我的哥哥詹姆斯,还有我的母亲伊丽莎白·迪瓦斯。
I followed them because I didn’t want to stay at home with my grandmother.
我之所以与他们同行是因为我不想和外祖母一起留在家里。
My grandmother was a difficult old woman, and I didn’t like her.
我的外祖母是一个很难相处的老太婆,我不喜欢她。
Read Hall was an old house with a big garden and many old trees.
里德宅院是一所老房子,里面有一个大花园和许多古树。
Mr Nowell’s servant opened the door for us.
诺埃尔先生的用人为我们打开了房门。
‘Come in,’ Mr Nowell said.
“进来,”诺埃尔先生说。
He was a tall man with a lot of white hair.
他个子很高,白发苍苍。
His black coat looked warm and expensive.
他的黑色大衣看起来既暖和又昂贵。
Alizon followed Mr Nowell into a room with a big fire.
艾丽森跟着诺埃尔先生走进了一个房间,那里面生着旺旺的炉火。
When I saw the fire, I wanted to go in, too!
当我看到炉火时,真希望自己也能跟着进去!
‘Are you cold, little one?’ Mr Nowell asked me.
“你冷吧,小家伙?”诺埃尔先生问我。
‘Come in, and sit near the fire.’
“进来,坐到炉火旁边去。”
I went across the room and sat down on the floor, next to the wonderful, hot fire.
我穿过房间,坐到地板上,紧靠着那美妙的、暖烘烘的炉火。
Mr Nowell sat behind a big table.
诺埃尔先生在一张大桌子后面坐下。
Two or three men, in black coats, stood near the window.
有两三个穿着黑大衣的男人靠近窗口站着。
Alizon stood in front of Mr Nowell.
艾丽森站在诺埃尔先生面前。
Her long hair was dirty, and her old dress looked dirtier.
她的长发脏兮兮的,身上的旧裙子比头发还要脏。
‘Two weeks ago, on the eighteenth day of March, you met John Law near Colne,’ Roger Nowell said.
“两个星期前,也就是3月18日那天,你在科恩村附近遇到了约翰·劳,”罗杰·诺埃尔说。
‘His voice was slow and careful.’
“他的声音低沉而谨慎。”
‘Tell me about it.’
“给我讲讲这件事。”
‘I asked for money,’ Alizon said.
“我向他要钱,”艾丽森说。
‘The pedlar was very angry and I didn’t like him.’
“小贩很生气,我不喜欢他。”
‘I was angry, too, and I wanted him to die!’
“我也很生气,我希望他死!”
‘Tell me about your dog.’
“给我讲讲你的狗是怎么回事。”
‘The dog is my friend,’ Alizon said slowly.
“它是我的朋友,”艾丽森慢慢地说道。
‘I wanted a friend, and I found that dog two months ago.’
“我想要一个朋友,两个月前我找到了那条狗。”
‘I told my grandmother, and she liked the dog, too.’
“我把这件事告诉了我的外祖母,她也喜欢那条狗。”
‘Did the dog run after the pedlar?’
“那条狗是不是追赶小贩了?”
‘Yes, of course. I cursed the pedlar, and the dog ran after him!’ Alizon said.
“当然追了。我诅咒了小贩,那条狗便去追赶他!”艾丽森说。
‘I’m sorry now, because Mr Law is ill.’
“现在劳先生病了,我很抱歉。”
‘She’s a witch!’ one of the men said quietly.
“她是个女巫!”一个男人轻声说。
Roger Nowell stood up and walked across the room to the door.
罗杰·诺埃尔站了起来,穿过房间走到门口。
‘James Device, come in. We want to question you.’
“詹姆斯·迪瓦斯,进来。我们有话问你。”
James came in and stood next to Alizon.
詹姆斯走了进来,站在艾丽森身边。
James was thirteen years old, nearly a man, but he was afraid of many things.
詹姆斯13岁,几乎是个男子汉了,但是,他对很多东西都感到恐惧。
He began to cry.
他哭了起来。
‘Don’t be afraid,’ Mr Nowell said.
“别害怕,”诺埃尔先生说。
‘we want you to talk about your grandmother, Old Demdike.’
“我们想让你讲讲你的外祖母老德姆代克的一些事。”
But Alizon wanted to talk.
可是,这时候艾丽森却想说话。
‘Don’t ask him!’ she said quickly.
“别问他!”她急促地说。
‘I can tell you about my grandmother because I’m with her every minute of the day.’
“我可以告诉你们关于我外祖母的事,因为我一天到晚和她在一起。”
‘I go with her from village to village.’
“我们俩一起翻越潘德尔山,走了一村又一村。”
‘I go with her across Pend le Hill.’
“我们俩一起翻越潘德尔山,走了一村又一村。”
‘She asks people for money and food, and I help her.’
“她向人们讨饭要钱,我给她帮忙。”
‘Alizon stopped. She looked at James, and then she looked at Mr Nowell.’
“艾丽森停住了。她看了看詹姆斯,又看了看诺埃尔先生。”
‘She cursed a child once, and the child died later that year.’
“她曾经诅咒过一个小孩儿,后来,就在那一年,小孩儿死了。”
‘And you!’ James said.
“还有你!”詹姆斯说。
‘You cursed a child, too! Somebody told me!’
“你也诅咒过一个小孩儿!有人告诉我了!”
James suddenly sat down on the floor and began to laugh loudly.
詹姆斯突然坐到了地板上,大笑起来。
‘Be quiet!’ Roger Nowell said coldly.
“安静!”罗杰·诺埃尔冷冷地说。
‘Alizon Device, tell me the truth: did you curse a child?’
“艾丽森·迪瓦斯,对我说真话:你曾诅咒过一个小孩儿吗?”
‘Yes, I did,’ Alizon cried.
“是的,诅咒过,”艾丽森喊道。
‘The child called me a witch, and I was angry.’
“那个孩子管我叫女巫,我生气了。”
‘I cursed the child, but I was sorry when the child died.’
“我就诅咒了他,但是对于他的死我很抱歉。”
James looked up at Alizon, his mouth open.
詹姆斯抬起头,张着嘴看着艾丽森。
‘The child died, the child died,’ he said again and again.
“那个孩子死了,那个孩子死了,”他一遍遍地说着。
‘Alizon Device, you cannot go home again,’ Roger Nowell said slowly.
“艾丽森·迪瓦斯,你不能再回家了。”罗杰·诺埃尔缓慢地说道。
‘You must go to the prison at Read.’
“我们必须把你送进里德监狱。”
‘But I need Alizon!’ my mother shouted angrily from the door.
“可是我需要艾丽森!”我的妈妈在门边气愤地喊着。
‘She takes care of Old Demdike, my mother.’
“是她照顾我的母亲老德姆代克。”
I looked at my mother, at her red, angry face.
我看了看我的妈妈,她的脸涨得通红,脸上带着愤怒的表情。
I looked at Alizon in her dirty dress, and at James on the floor with his mouth open.
我又看了看穿着脏裙子的艾丽森,还有张着嘴坐在地上的詹姆斯。
And then I looked at Mr Nowell: his brown eyes were warm, and his face was kind.
然后我看了一眼诺埃尔先生:他的棕色眼睛流露出热情,他的面容是和善的。
On the second day of April, Roger Nowell and his men came to Ashlar House, near the village of Fence.
4月2日,罗杰·诺埃尔和他的随从人员来到了芬斯村附近的艾什拉屋。
Mr Nowell wanted to talk to my grandmother, and we all went with her to Ashlar House.
诺埃尔先生想和我的外祖母谈谈,于是我们全家和她一起去了艾什拉屋。
Fence was not far from Malkin Tower, and my grandmother walked there easily.
芬斯村离马尔金塔不远,我的外祖母并没有费多少劲就走到了那里。
Old Demdike was a little old woman with a fat face and no teeth.
老德姆代克是个身材矮小的老太婆,她长着一张胖胖的脸,牙齿全掉光了。
She was nearly eighty years old and she was a difficult old woman.
她快八十岁了,很难相处。
Without Alizon, she was more difficult because my mother didn’t take care of her.
艾丽森不在她更使性子,因为我的妈妈根本不照顾她。
When I saw Mr Nowell again at Ashlar House, I felt happy.
当我在艾什拉屋再次看到诺埃尔先生时,我感到很高兴。
I looked at his kind face and his warm brown eyes, and I wanted to be near him.
看着他和善的面孔和充满热情的棕色眼睛,我很想靠他近一些。
But there were a lot of people in the room, and I was afraid to go to him.
可是房间里人很多,我不敢过去。
‘Old Demdike, I’m going to ask you some questions,’ Mr Nowell began.
“老德姆代克,我要问你一些问题。”诺埃尔先生说。
Old Demdike was not afraid.
老德姆代克并不害怕。
She looked at all the men, in their expensive coats and hats.
她看了看所有衣帽华贵的男人。
‘What can a poor old woman tell you rich men?’
“一个穷老太婆能告诉你们有钱人什么呢?”
She laughed, and when she laughed I felt afraid.
她哈哈大笑着说。她的笑声令我恐惧。
My grandmother was going to tell them everything!
我的外祖母就要把一切都告诉他们了!
And she did!
她真地说了!
‘Twenty years ago, I met the Devil,’ Old Demdike said.
“20年前,我遇到了魔鬼,”老德姆代克说。
‘He was a boy called Tibb and he was my friend.’
“他是一个名叫蒂勃的男孩,他是我的朋友。”
‘Then a cat came to visit me—a beautiful cat—and then a dog.’
“后来有一只猫来拜访我——一只美丽的猫——随后又来了一条狗。”
‘They were all my friends.’
“他们都是我的朋友。”
Mr Nowell listened quietly to my grandmother, but some of the men began to talk angrily.
诺埃尔先生安静地听着,但是有些男人生气地交谈起来。
‘Be careful, you rich men!’ my grandmother cried.
“小心点,你们这些有钱人!”我的外祖母喊道。
‘I can curse you! I can kill people!’
“我能诅咒你们!我能让人丧命!”
‘I make clay pictures of people—man, woman or child.’
“我用泥制成人像——男人的,女人的或是小孩的。”
‘And when I break the clay, that man, woman or child dies!’
“当我打碎人像时,那个男人、女人或小孩就会死去。”
People began to shout.
人们开始大喊起来。
‘She’s a witch! She must die!’
“她是个女巫!一定得要她的命!”
‘Say no more; she must die, with all her family!’
“不要再说什么了,她必须死,和她的全家一起死!”
Roger Nowell stood up.
罗杰·诺埃尔站了起来。
‘Be quiet!’
“安静!”
He looked at the guards near the door.
他看了看守在门口的警卫。
‘Take her away,’ he said.
“把她带走。”他说。
‘Old Demdike and her granddaughter Alizon must go to the prison at Lancaster Castle.’
“必须把老德姆代克和她的外孙女艾丽森关进兰开斯特城堡监狱。”
The guards took my grandmother by the arms and carried her out of the door and put her on a horse.
卫兵们抓住我外祖母的胳膊,把她带出门,放到一匹马上。
Everyone ran out of Ashlar House.
大家全都跑出了艾什拉屋。
They ran after the horses and shouted: ‘Kill the witch!’
他们追赶着马队,高喊:“杀死女巫!”
I looked for Mr Nowell, but he was on his horse, too, and he followed the guards quickly through the village.
我寻找着诺埃尔先生,可是他也上了马,跟在卫兵们后面迅速地穿过村子走了。
Slowly, I followed my mother and James.
我跟在妈妈和詹姆斯后面慢慢地走着。
Malkin Tower was my home, but I didn’t want to go back there.
马尔金塔是我的家,但是我并不想回去。
I was a little child, and I wanted someone kind to take care of me.
我还是个孩子,我希望有个慈爱的人来关心我。
We stayed at home days, because we were afraid to go out.
因为不敢出门,我们在家里呆了好些天。
James sat in front of the fire, with his dog, and talked.
詹姆斯和他的狗坐在火堆前,嘴里念叨着。
‘Lancaster Castle, Lancaster Castle,’ he said, again and again.
“兰开斯特城堡,兰开斯特城堡。”他一遍又一遍地说着。
My mother hit me and shouted at me because she was angry with the rich men.
我妈妈打我,冲我大嚷大叫,因为那些有钱人很让她恼火。
But after three days, my mother suddenly said, ‘James! We’re hungry and we must eat!’
3天后,妈妈突然说:“詹姆斯!我们饿了,咱们得吃东西呀!”
James didn’t answer.
詹姆斯没有答话。
My mother went across the room to James and pulled his hair.
妈妈穿过房间走到詹姆斯跟前,揪着他的头发。
‘Get up!’ she shouted.
“起来!”她大喊着。
‘Go out and find food for us! Your father isn’t here now; you must find food for us.’
“出去给我们找点吃的!你爸爸现在不在了,你必须给我们找吃找喝。”
She hit him over the head.
她打了一下他的头。
James stood up slowly.
詹姆斯慢慢腾腾地站起来。
‘Go out and find food,’ he said.
“出去找吃的,”他说。
‘I must go out and find food.’
“我必须出去找吃的。”
It was dark, and James was out for hours.
天黑了,詹姆斯已经出去好几个小时了。
But in the morning, he came back with a sheep.
第二天早上,他带着一只羊回来了。
‘I went to Barley,’ James said happily.
“我到巴利村去了。”詹姆斯高兴地说。
‘I got this sheep, and now we can eat.’
“我找到了这只羊,现在我们可以吃饭了。”
‘Get up, Jennet!’ my mother shouted.
“起来,詹妮特!”我妈妈喊道。
‘Come and help me!’
“来给我帮忙!”
It was Friday, the tenth day of April.
4月10日星期五那天。
My family had some friends, poor people, and on that day they came to Malkin Tower.
我们家有一些朋友,都是穷人。那天,他们来到了马尔金塔。
They came and asked about Old Demdike and Alizon, and they stayed to eat and drink.
他们来询问老德姆代克和艾丽森的情况,然后留下来又吃又喝。
I helped my mother.
我帮助妈妈干活。
We cooked the sheep over a big fire, and our visitors ate with us.
我们在一大堆火上烤羊,客人们和我们一起吃饭。
At the same time, they drank.
他们还喝起酒来。
They sat by the fire and drank, and talked about Lancaster Castle.
他们围坐在火堆旁一边喝酒,一边谈论着兰开斯特城堡。
‘Let’s go there!’ an old woman cried.
“咱们到那儿去吧!”一个老太太大声说。
‘Let’s go to Lancaster Castle and find Old Demdike and Alizon!’
“咱们去兰开斯特城堡救出老德姆代克和艾丽森!”
‘We can curse the guards, and break down the door!’
“我们可以咒死看守,然后把门打破!”
my mother said.
我妈妈说。
‘Let’s bring them home!’ said an old man.
“咱们把她俩带回家来!”一个老头儿说。
‘Jennet, bring the bottle! We need more drink!’ shouted my mother.
“詹妮特,把酒瓶拿来!我们得再喝点!”妈妈喊道。
I got up and took more drink to my mother.
我站起来去给妈妈再拿些酒。
But I fell over one of the dogs, and the bottle broke on the floor.
可是我绊倒在一只狗身上,酒瓶掉在地上摔碎了。
The drink was gone!
酒洒了!
‘You bad child!’ my mother shouted.
“你这个坏孩子!”我妈妈嚷道。
‘You’re a witch, too, you know!’
“你也是个女巫,你清楚!”
She got up and began to hit me.
她站起来打我。
She hit me over the head and pulled my hair.
她打我的头,揪我的头发。
An old man laughed, and then everyone laughed.
一个老头哈哈大笑,大家也都跟着哄笑起来。
I ran back across the room.
我穿过房间跑了回去。
I wasn’t a witch; I was a child, nine years old, and I hated my mother and all her friends!
我不是女巫;我是个9岁的孩子。我恨妈妈和她所有的朋友!
My face felt very hot because I was angry.
由于愤怒我的脸很烫。
I left the room and went out of the house.
我离开房间,走出了这所房子。
It was afternoon, but the sky was dark with rain.
当时是下午,但是由于下着雨,天很黑。
Pendle Hill was dark, too.
潘德尔山也是一片漆黑。
It sat quietly and watched me.
它静静地坐落在那里,注视着我。
‘I’m going to Mr Nowell,’ I said quietly, to Pendle Hill.
“我要去找诺埃尔先生,”我平静地对潘德尔山说。
‘I’m going to tell him about my mother and her friends.’
“我要告诉他有关我妈妈和她的朋友们的事情。”
上一篇:The Witches of Pendle by Rowena Akinyemi 1 (潘德尔的巫师 / 罗伊娜·艾金耶米 1)
下一篇:The Witches of Pendle by Rowena Akinyemi 3 (潘德尔的巫师 / 罗伊娜·艾金耶米 3)
0 条评论