3 A FAMILY OF WITCHES 巫师之家
I ran from Malkin Tower, down the hill into Newchurch.
我跑出马尔金塔,跑下潘德尔山来到了纽丘奇村。
James followed me.
詹姆斯一直跟着我。
‘I want to go to Read Hall, too,’ he said.
“我也想去里德宅院。”他说。
We ran through the trees to Sabden Brook.
我们穿过树林来到了萨卜登小溪。
The noise of the river was beautiful in my ears.
潺潺的流水声在我听来十分悦耳。
We went along the river to the village of Sabden, and then it began to rain.
我们沿着河走到了萨卜登村,这时天下起雨来。
Suddenly, we heard the noise of horses behind us.
忽然,从我们身后传来了马蹄声。
We got off the road, and watched the horses.
我们离开大路,看着那些马匹。
It was Roger Nowell with some of his men.
那是罗杰·诺埃尔和他的手下。
They saw us, and Mr Nowell stopped.
他们看到了我们俩,诺埃尔先生停了下来。
‘It’s the Device children,’ he said.
“原来是迪瓦斯家的孩子们,”他说。
‘What’s your name, child?’
“孩子,你叫什么名字?”
‘My name is Jennet,’ I said.
“我叫詹妮特,”我说。
‘We’re going to Read Hall. I want to talk to you.’
“我们要去里德宅院。我想和您谈谈。”
Roger Nowell looked at me with his warm brown eyes.
罗杰·诺埃尔用他那双充满热情的棕色眼睛看了看我。
‘Very well,’ he said.
“很好,”他说。
‘Come home with me, and we can talk.’
“跟我一起回家吧,这样我们就可以谈谈了。”
He lifted me up on to his horse, and the horse moved quickly along the road to the village of Read.
他把我举起来放到他的马上,马于是迅速地沿着大道向里德村行进。
James ran along behind us.
詹姆斯一路跑着跟在我们后面。
Very soon, we arrived at Read Hall.
很快,我们到达了里德宅院。
The servant opened the door for us, and we went into the warm house.
先生的用人打开屋门,我们走进了十分暖和的房子。
James came in, too, and sat down next to me near the fire.
詹姆斯也进来了,他挨着我坐在炉火边。
Mr Nowell put his black hat down on the table.
诺埃尔先生把他的黑帽子放在桌子上。
‘Bring a hot drink and some food for these children,’ he told the servant.
“给孩子们拿点热饮和一些吃的来。”他吩咐用人说。
‘They’re cold and hungry.’
“他们又冷又饿。”
The servant brought bread and hot milk for us, and James and I ate hungrily.
用人给我们拿来了面包和热牛奶,詹姆斯和我大吃起来。
I felt warm and happy in Mr Nowell’s house.
在诺埃尔先生家里,我感到既温暖又快乐。
I wanted to stay there all my life; I never wanted to go back to Malkin Tower.
我希望一辈子呆在那儿;我再也不想回到马尔金塔去了。
When we finished eating, Mr Nowell looked up from his book.
我们吃完了饭,诺埃尔先生不再看书,抬起头来。
‘You wanted to talk to me,’ he said quietly.
“你有事想对我说,”他轻声说。
‘Well, I’m listening.’
“好吧,我听着呢。”
I got up, went across the room and stood in front of Mr Nowell.
我站起身,穿过房间,站在诺埃尔先生面前。
‘I’m afraid of my mother,’ I began.
“我害怕我妈妈,”我开始说道。
‘I’m afraid because she’s a witch and she can kill people.’
“我害怕,因为她是女巫,她能杀人。”
The room was quiet.
房间里十分安静。
Mr Nowell said nothing, but his brown eyes were kind.
诺埃尔先生什么也没说,但是他的棕色眼睛是友善的。
‘My mother and her friends are at Malkin Tower,’ I told him.
“现在,我妈妈和她的朋友们正聚在马尔金塔,”我告诉他说。
‘They want to go to Lancaster Castle and kill the guards.’
“他们想要去兰开斯特城堡杀死看守。”
‘They’re going to bring Old Demdike and Alizon home again.’
“他们打算把老德姆代克和艾丽森带回家。”
Mr Nowell got up and left the room.
诺埃尔先生站起身离开了房间。
After some time, he came back with two of his friends.
过了一些时候,他和他的两个朋友一起回来了。
They all sat down at the table.
他们全都在桌前坐了下来。
‘Jennet, I want you to tell me again about your mother and her friends.’
“詹妮特,我要你再对我说一遍有关你母亲和她朋友的事。”
‘They want to kill the guards at Lancaster Castle and bring Old Demdike home to Malkin Tower,’ I said.
“他们想杀死兰开斯特城堡的看守,然后把老德姆代克带回马尔金塔。”我说。
Then I began to cry.
说完,我哭了。
‘Don’t cry,’ Mr Nowell said kindly.
“别哭,”诺埃尔先生和蔼地说。
‘We can help you, but we must talk to your brother first.’
“我们能帮助你,不过我们必须先和你哥哥谈谈。”
‘James!’ he called.
“詹姆斯!”他喊了一声。
‘Tell me about your mother. Is she a witch?’
“给我讲讲你母亲的事。她是女巫吗?”
‘She’s a witch. We’re all witches,’ James began.
“她是女巫。我们都是巫师。”詹姆斯说。
‘Old Demdike’s a witch.’
“老德姆代克是个女巫。”
‘One night, she went to the church at Newchurch and got some teeth from dead bodies there.’
“一天夜里,她去了纽丘奇村的教堂,从那里的尸体上取下了一些牙齿。”
‘The Devil talked to her and she brought the teeth to Malkin Tower.’
“魔鬼和她对了话,随后她把牙齿带回了马尔金塔。”
‘They’re under the ground by our door!’
“它们就在我家大门旁的地下。”
‘Old Demdike’s a witch; we know that,’ Mr Nowell said.
“老德姆代克是个女巫,这我们知道,”诺埃尔先生说。
‘Tell us about your mother.’
“把你母亲的事告诉我们。”
‘Mother’s a witch,’ James said.
“妈妈是女巫,”詹姆斯说。
‘She killed Mr Robinson, from Barley village.’
“她杀死了巴利村的鲁滨逊先生。”
‘She made a clay picture, and then she broke it, and Mr Robinson died a week later.’
“她做了一个泥像,然后把它打碎,一星期后鲁滨逊先生死去了。”
James smiled at Mr Nowell.
詹姆斯对诺埃尔先生微笑了一下。
He liked Mr Nowell because Mr Nowell didn’t shout at him.
他喜欢诺埃尔先生,因为诺埃尔先生不冲着他大喊大叫。
‘And I’m a witch, too! I can kill people!’
“还有,我也是个巫师!我能害死人!”
‘No, James!’ I cried.
“不,詹姆斯!”我喊道。
‘You’re not a witch! You don’t kill people!’
“你不是巫师!你不杀人!”
‘Yes, I do,’ James said angrily.
“不,我杀人。”詹姆斯生气地说。
His face went red.
他的脸红了起来。
‘My dog, Dandy, is the Devil and he killed a man for me.’
“我的狗丹迪是魔鬼,它为我杀过一个人。”
‘I wanted a shirt and Mr Duckworth was going to give me one of his old shirts.’
“我想要一件衬衣,达克沃思先生准备把他的一件旧衬衣给我。”
‘But in the end, he didn’t give it to me and I was very angry.’
“可是最后他没有给我,我非常生气。”
‘I nearly killed Mr Duckworth!’
“我差点儿杀了他!”
‘But I called Dandy, and he killed Mr Duckworth for me!’
“不过我喊来了丹迪,它为我杀死了达克沃思先生!”
I began to cry.
我哭了起来。
My brother was a witch, too!
我的哥哥也是个巫师!
All my family were witches!
我的全家都是巫师!
‘Don’t cry, Jennet,’ Mr Nowell said.
“别哭,詹妮特,”诺埃尔先生说。
‘Someone must take care of you.’
“必须有人照顾你。”
‘You can stay here at Read Hall with me.’
“你可以留在里德宅院,和我在一起。”
When Mr Nowell’s men brought my mother to Read Hall, she said nothing at first.
诺埃尔先生手下的人把我妈妈带到了里德宅院,起初她一言不发。
‘Tell us about the pictures of clay,’ Mr Nowell said.
“把泥塑像的事告诉我们,”诺埃尔先生说。
‘My men found pictures of clay at Malkin Tower.’
“我手下的人在马尔金塔找到了一些泥塑像。”
My mother said nothing.
我妈妈没有作声。
‘Your mother, Old Demdike, is a witch.’
“你的母亲老德姆代克是女巫。”
‘Your daughter is a witch,’ Mr Nowell said.
“你的女儿是女巫,”诺埃尔先生说。
‘Your son killed Mr Duckworth because of shirt.’
“你的儿子为了一件衬衣杀死了达克沃思先生。”
‘Now, tell us about the clay pictures.’
“现在把泥塑像的事告诉我们。”
My mother said nothing.
我妈妈什么也没说。
‘James told us about Mr Robinson of Barley,’ Mr Nowell said.
“詹姆斯对我们讲了巴利村鲁滨逊先生的事,”诺埃尔先生说。
‘Did you kill him?’
“是你杀了他吗?”
Suddenly, my mother’s face went red and she began to shout at James.
突然间,我妈妈的脸涨红了,她冲着詹姆斯大喊。
‘A good son, you are!’
“你真是个好儿子!”
‘You told this rich man about Jack Robinson of Barley.’
“你把巴利村杰克·鲁滨逊的事告诉了这个有钱人。”
‘Well, you told the truth.’
“是的,你说的完全属实。”
‘I killed him!’
“是我杀了他!”
‘I made a clay picture, and then I broke it, and a week later he died.’
“我做了一个泥像,然后把它打碎,一星期后他就死了。”
‘I killed him because I hated him.’
“我杀了他是因为我恨他。”
She stopped and looked at me.
她停下来看着我。
I wanted to run away but Mr Nowell’s servant stood in front of the door.
我想跑开,可是诺埃尔先生的用人正站在门前。
Then my mother laughed.
妈妈哈哈大笑着说。
‘Jennet Device, witch’s daughter!’
“詹妮特·迪瓦斯,巫师的女儿!”
‘You hate us, I know that.’
“我知道,你恨我们。”
‘Well, it doesn’t matter because you’re right: you are different.’
“嗯,这没什么,因为你是对的:你是不一样。”
‘You’re my daughter, but you’re not the daughter of my husband.’
“你是我女儿,但你不是我丈夫的女儿。”
‘Your father was a rich man, but he never gave me money.’
“你的父亲是个有钱人,可他从来不给我钱。”
‘A witch’s child,’ he called you.’
“他管你叫巫师的孩子。”
‘And when you were born, he never came near me again.’
“从你一出生,他就再也没靠近过我。”
‘Jack Robinson learnt the truth about your father.’
“杰克·鲁滨逊得知你亲生父亲的真相后,便告诉了巴利村的居民们。”
‘He told the villagers of Barley and they called me a bad woman, but they didn’t call your father a bad man!’
“他们说我是坏女人,却不说你父亲是一个坏男人!”
‘Nobody in Barley gave me food again, because of Jack Robinson.’
“从那以后,在巴利村,再也没有人给我吃的了,这都是杰克·鲁滨逊造成的。”
‘I hated him, and so I killed him!’
“我恨他,所以我杀了他!”
The room was very quiet and my mother laughed again.
房间里静悄悄的,我的妈妈又大笑起来。
My hands felt cold and my face was hot, but I didn’t cry.
我的手冰凉冰凉,我的脸热辣辣。不过我没有哭。
When Mr Device died, I cried for days.
迪瓦斯先生去世时,我哭了好几天。
But he was not my father.
然而他不是我父亲。
I looked at my mother, at her dirty hair and her ugly face, at her angry eyes.
我看着妈妈,看着她那肮脏的头发、丑陋的面容和愤怒的双眼。
I hated her then, and I hated her for many years.
在那一刻,我真恨她,许多年来我一直恨她。
上一篇:The Witches of Pendle by Rowena Akinyemi 2 (潘德尔的巫师 / 罗伊娜·艾金耶米 2)
下一篇:The Witches of Pendle by Rowena Akinyemi 4 (潘德尔的巫师 / 罗伊娜·艾金耶米 4)
0 条评论