we’re not sure

我们还不能肯定

to buy a new house.

来买一栋新房子。

A little further to the right, Tom.

再往右一点,Tom。

It’s the first thing people will see when they come in.

这是人们走进来所看到的第一件东西。

The reviews of this show

与这次展览有关的评论

I always worry.

我一向担心。

I hope he’s in a good mood.

我希望他心情不错。

Soon.

很快。

The book will be a success.

这本书会成功的。

You’ve earned it.

这是你应得的报偿。

So do I.

我也是。

this enlargement with the words Family Album, U. S. A.

Family Album, U.S。A。这几个放大的字。

I like it there.

摆在那里很好。

what the man from the New York Times is going to say about it.

纽约时报的那个人会说些什么。

Speaking of promoting the book,

说起促销书的事,

The next thing they’ll see is

他们接着看到的是

And you never know

而你永远也猜不到

are important for the sales of your book.

对于你这本书的销售很重要。

It sets the tone for the whole show.

它决定了整个展览的气氛。

Well, remember,

嗯,记住,

Years of work went into these pictures.

多年心血换来这些照片。?

what the critics are going to write about your show yet.

评论家们会对你的展览写些什么。

When do we see the reviews?

什么时候我们可以看到评论?

I can’t believe this is really happening!

我不敢相信这一切真的发生了!

One of the critics is coming over this morning for a preview.

一位评论家今天早上要来看预展。

I know, but it’s still a dream come true.

我知道,但这终究是一个梦想实现了。

Are you worried?

你担心吗?

Marilyn and I hope to use money from the sales of this book

Marilyn和我希望用这本书销售的钱

Is this OK?

这样可以吗?

Good. What do you think, Richard?

好。你看呢, Richard?

And the show will help promote it.

而这次展览会有利于促销它。

And my grandfather.

还有我祖父。

Right.

好。

Everybody.

每一位。

Your family or the public?

你的家人还是公众?

It’s common practice.

这是惯例。

I hope they like it.

我希望他们会喜欢。

You may be right.

也许你说的对。

It’s too close to the refreshments.

它离茶点太近了。

This one over here, Mr. Carlson?

这张就摆这儿吗,Carlson先生?

do I really have to

我是不是真的有必要

Couldn’t we wait until I’m famous?

难道不能等到我成名了再说吗?

I feel uncomfortable about it.

我对此感到满别扭的。

just so they can get

就是为了得到

autograph copies for the guests at the opening?

在展览开幕时为客人在书上亲笔签名呢?

No. I’m scared to death.

不。我害怕得要命。

A lot of people come to openings

许多人参加开幕仪式,

No such thing as “too many” at an opening.

展览开幕怎么会嫌人太多呢。

my brother Robbie,

我弟弟Robbie、

my sister and her husband and their daughter.

我妹妹Susan和她丈夫以及他们的女儿。

Nervous about the opening tonight?

对今晚开幕感到紧张吗?

How about guests?

来宾呢?

My wife Marilyn, my father and mother,

我太太Marilyn、我父亲和母亲、

How many people will you be bringing?

你约了多少人来?

Nervous?

紧张?

No, I think this one belongs in the “people-at-work” section.

不,我认为它属于「工作中的人们」那一区。

They’ve stood by me through all this.

他们一直支持我做这件事。

A little further back, Tom.

再往后一点,Tom。

Is that too many?

是不是太多了?

But especially my family.

但尤其是我的家人。

That might be sooner than you think.

那也许比你想像的要快。

the autograph of somebody who may be famous someday.

将来有可能成名的人的亲笔签名。

Me?

我?

Well, my family, I guess.

嗯,我一家人,我想。

Try it there, Tom.

放在那儿试试,Tom。

I’m sure they’ll like it.

我相信他们会喜欢的。

I do mean it.

我的确是说真的。

Oh, I’d still like to see your work.

噢,我仍然希望看到你的作品。

Thank you, Tom.

谢谢你,Tom。

one of the most important syndicated reviewers in the country.

我国最重要的报团评论家之一。

What does that mean when he goes,

他发出的声音代表什么意思,

Mitchell has always encouraged new talent.

Mitchell总是在鼓励新人。

“Mm-hmm, mm-hmm, mm-hmm”?

“Mm—hmm,mm—hmm,mm—hm”?

Nice to meet you.

很高兴见到你。

Tom is studying photography at NYU.

Tom正在NYU学摄影。

Your work is brilliant.

你的作品很好。

Well… you mind if I look around

嗯…你们不介意我到处瞧瞧,

I don’t care what the critics say, Mr. Stewart.

我不管评论家怎么说,Stewart先生,

I don’t know.

我不知道。

Harvey, how are you?

Harvey,你好吗?

He’s working with me during the summer months as an intern.

在夏天的这几个月到我这里来当实习生。

It probably means he’s clearing his throat.

也许表示他正在清喉咙。

and see what it says to me?

看它给我什么样的感受吧?

You may be the next Ansel Adams and not even know it.

你或许是第二个Ansel Adams而不自知呢。

Very interesting pictures, Mr. Stewart.

你的照片很有意思,Stewart先生。

Mitchell is

Mitchell是

I’m still learning.

我还在学习当中。

Nice to meet you, Mr. Johnson.

很高兴见到你, Johnson先生。

Mitchell, so nice of you to come.

Mitchell,欢迎光临。

Mm-hmm, hmm, uh-huh.

Mm—hmm,hmm,uh—huh。

Oh, really?

噢,真的?

Well, you’re the young man who did all this.

嗯,你就是那位拍这些照片的年轻人。

It’s not good enough to show.

还不值得展示。

I’m afraid so.

不敢当。

Be our guest.

请随意。

If you really mean it,

假如你是说真的,

I’ll bring some of my pictures into the gallery.

我就带一些我的摄影到艺廊来。

Richard, this is Mitchell Johnson.

Richard,这是Mitchell Johnson。

I’d like to see your work.

我希望能看到你的作品。

It is.

它是的。

Just follow me, Mr. Johnson.

请跟我来,Johnson先生。

We’re supposed to be there

我们应当先到那儿

Are you going to be reviewing the show, Mitchell?

你会评论这项展览吗,Mitchell?

before the guests arrive.

在客人到达之前。

the copy of Richard’s book on my desk?

在我桌上那本Richard的书,好吗?

It’s beautiful.

它很漂亮。

Thank you.

谢谢你。

Keep your fingers crossed.

希望你一切顺遂。

Do you like the dress?

你喜欢这套衣服吗?

so I can study it.

以便我好好研究。

Tom, would you give Mr. Johnson

Tom,拿给Johnson先生

Honey, I’m scared to death.

亲爱的,我害怕得要命。

I earned this, and I’m going to enjoy it.

我辛苦赢得的,我要去享受它。

Help me with this tie, will you?

帮我打领带,好吗?

Favorably?

是好评?

No, no.

不,不。

This is show business.

而今天这个却是演艺事业。

Well, it’s all part of the same job.

嗯,它们都是同一项工作的一部份。

You have a most unusual eye.

你有着极为不寻常的眼光。

Oh, yes. It’s definitely worth reviewing.

噢,是的。它着实值得评论。

I love it.

我喜欢。

We’ll know when tonight’s papers come out.

今晚的报纸出来的时候,我们就知道了。

Are you ready?

你准备好了吗?

Just relax and enjoy it.

放轻松点,好好地享受它。

You’re right.

你说得对。

I hope that’s a compliment.

我希望这是赞美之词。

I know. I know.

我知道。我知道。

I’d like an advance copy of the book, though,

但我想要一本新书的试印本,

Do you think he liked my photographs?

你觉得他喜欢我的摄影吗?

I designed it myself.

这是我自己设计的。

But this is what you’ve been working for all these years.

但你多年来的工作,为的就是这个呀。

I have an autographed one in my office.

在我办公室里有一本签了名的。

I worked to put together a book of photographs.

我的工作是创作出一本摄影书。

Oh, you know I never answer that question, Harvey.

噢,你知道我从不回答这类的问题,Harvey。

Sure.

好的。

A critic was there this morning.

一个评论家早上去过了。

that I never could have done this book

我不可能完成这本书

I just want to tell you

我想告诉你,

Now, no more stalling.

现在,不准再拖延了。

My new shoes hurt my feet…

我的新鞋弄痛了我的脚…

Oh. Right.

噢。对了。

Are you ready?

你准备好了吗?

Oh, one minute.

噢,再等一分钟。

Thanks.

谢谢。

Hi.

嗨!

without your help and your love.

要不是你的帮助和爱。

Well, thanks.

噢,谢谢你。

There’s nobody here!

这里一个人都没有!

He probably hates my work.

他也许讨厌我的作品。

It’s good to meet you.

很高兴见到你。

Your show doesn’t begin until eight thirty.

你的展览八点半才开始。

Before we go to the gallery,

在我们去画廊之前,

There! You look very attractive.

天!你看起来真帅!

You’ve met my wife Marilyn…

你曾经见过我太太Marilyn…

What is it?

怎么回事?

Mom and Dad are already on their way down to the gallery.

妈妈和爸爸已经出发去画廊了。

Everything.

每一样事情。

Mm-hmm. Let’s go…

嗯哼。我们走吧…

I never met before.

我从未谋面过的人。

My mother, Ellen Stewart.

我母亲Ellen Stewart。

I have to sign copies of my book for a lot of people

我还必须为许多人在我的书上签名

This is my publisher, Harvey Carlson.

这是我的出版商Harvey Carlson。

Well, I suppose I’ve run out of excuses.

噢,我想我再也找不出籍口了。

Thank you.

谢谢你。

Of course not, Richard.

当然不会有,Richard。

Richard! Welcome! Good luck tonight!

Richard!欢迎!祝你今天晚上好运!

Charmed.

荣幸见到你。

You’re going to be a great success.

你会获得很大的成功的。

As soon as I get these cuff links on.

只等我将袖扣扣好。

Let me help.

我来帮忙。

Harvey Carlson.

这是Harvey Carlson。

What are you afraid of?

你怕什么?

I appreciate it.

我很感激。

As soon as I recover from my nervous breakdown.

只等我从神经崩溃中恢复过来。

Can I get you something, Mr. Stewart?

要我替你拿点什么吗,Stewart先生??

Of course.

当然。

And this is my sister Susan and her husband Harry Bennett

这是我妹妹Susan和她丈夫Harry Bennett

and his daughter Michelle.

以及他女儿Michelle。

If you need anything, just ask.

假如你需要什么,尽管讲。

Help yourselves.

请随便用。

Ready?

准备好了吗?

What’s this?

这是什么?

Did Mitchell Johnson’s review come out yet?

Mitchell Johnson的评论出来了没有?

Harvey?

Harvey?

Thank you.

谢谢你。

Hi.

嗨。

Yes. Have the people arrived?

是的。客人来了吗?

The guests are waiting.

客人们正等着呢。

Feel free to look around.

请随意到处看看。

It’s nice to meet you.

很高兴见到你。

You can feel very proud of your grandson, Mr. Stewart.

你可以为你的孙子感到非常的骄傲,Sewart先生。

Nice to meet you, Mr. Carlson.

很高兴见到你,Carlson先生。

No, thank you.

不用,谢谢你。

Hi.

嗨。

Not yet.

还没有。

This is my father, Dr. Philip Stewart…

这是我父亲,Philip Stewart医生…

Yes?

怎么?

And this gentleman is my grandfather, Malcolm Stewart.

这位绅士是我祖父Malcolm Stewart。

When they come out, we’ll get it.

一出来,我们就会拿到手。

Read it.

读出来吧。

My brother Robbie…

我弟弟Robbie…

Thanks.

谢谢。

Well, make yourselves comfortable.

噢,请大家自便。

Tom’s about to open the doors.

Tom准备要开门了。

I’m proud of all my grandchildren, Mr. Carlson.

我为我所有的孙子孙女感到骄傲,Carlson先生。

Welcome, Mr. Stewart.

欢迎,Stewart先生。

I do.

我就是啊。

There are hors d’oeuvres at the table, fruit punch at the bar.

在桌子上有小菜,柜台有水果调味饮品。

Good luck! And stop worrying!

祝你好运!别再担心!

They’re going to love it.

他们会喜欢的。

It’s nice to meet you.

很高兴见到你。

The newspapers don’t come out till about ten o’clock.

报纸要差不多十点钟才出来。

Oh, not at all.

噢,一点也不。

I hope you’re all enjoying the exhibition.

我希望你们都喜欢这个展览。?

Wow! I’m overwhelmed.

喔!我太感动了。

Ladies and gentlemen,

各位女士,各位先生!

Oh, Richard, it’s wonderful!

噢,Richard,太棒了!

I want to thank all of you for coming here tonight.

我非常感谢你们大家今天晚上的赏光。

introduces us to a remarkable new talent.”

让我们看到一位卓越的新秀。”

Would you read it, Marilyn?

请你读好吗,Marilyn?

Thank you.

谢谢各位。

Thanks.

谢谢。

I know that I am.

我知道我是很喜欢。

taking these remarkable pictures

来拍摄这些杰出作品

I’d like to thank Harvey Carlson

我非常感谢Harvey Carlson

And I would like to introduce the young man

现在我希望向大家介绍这位年轻人

Our pleasure.

非常荣幸。

for their love and support all through this adventure.

在这整个工作期间给予我的爱和支持。

I would like to thank my family

我要感谢我的家人

Hello.

你们好。

Oh, I’m glad that’s over.

噢,我真高兴终于结束了。

is a collection of photographs

是选出的摄影作品

and writing the background for Family Album, U. S. A.–

并为Family Album,U.S。A。撰写背景说明的年轻人——?

if I may have your attention for a moment, please?

我想占用你们一点点时间,好吗?

I can’t.

我不敢读。

and his book

他的书

But most of all,

但最重要的,

Mr. Richard Stewart.

Richard Stewart先生。

from his new book entitled Family Album, U. S. A.

从他的新书Family Album, U.S。A。,

Congratulations!

恭喜你!

Hope it wins a Pulitzer Prize.

希望它能得Pulitzer奖。

who spent the last five years

用过去五年的时间

“Richard Stewart’s show at the Carlson Gallery

“Richard Stewart在Carlson画廊展出的

There is power and beauty in Mr. Stewart’s work,

Stewart先生的作品中展现出力与美。

for his faith in my project.

对我工作计划的信心。

Would you mind?

你们不介意吧?

Of course. I’ve seen you on television.

当然。我在电视上看见过你。

Now, I appreciate your offer,

因此,我感激你的提议。

The problem is that I’m a photographer, not an editor.

问题是我是一个摄影师,不是一个编辑。

Mr. O’Neill is the publisher of several magazines.

O’Neill先生是好几家杂志的发行人。

Mr. O’Neill was so impressed with your work

O’Neill先生被你的作品深深打动,

Oh, well, really…

噢,哦,真的…

In fact, I’d like your autograph.

事实上,我想要你的签名。

What’s this about, Harvey?

这是怎么回事,Harvey?

which is going out with a camera and a roll of film

那就是带着照相机和一卷底片出去?

Oh, Richard, how exciting!

哦,Richard,好令人兴奋!

I’ve been looking forward to meeting your husband, Mrs. Stewart.

我一直希望能见到你先生,Stewart太太。

Thank you.

谢谢。

I’m really impressed by your show.

你的展览让我留下了深刻的印象。

It’s a wonderful opportunity, Richard.

这是一个好机会,Richard。

What’s the problem, Richard?

有什么问题吗,Richard?

Well, that sounds very exciting,

嗯,听起来很令人兴奋。

that he wants to develop it into a magazine concept.

他想要将它加以发展,使之成为一个杂志方面的构想。

I’ll settle for an “A” in my photography course.

我只要摄影课能“”就满足了。

In fact, I love what I do…

事实上,我热爱我的工作…

I like what I do.

我喜欢我所做的工作。

Hold on. Wait a minute, please.

等等。请稍等一下。

Nice to meet you.

很高兴见到你。

On a contract.

在一份合同上面。

but where would I fit into the plan?

但是我在这项计划中怎么定位呢?

and seeing the wonder of humanity.

看众生奇景。

Ah, Richard, Marilyn, I want you to meet John O’Neill.

啊,Richard、Marilyn,我向你们介绍John O’Neill。

Oh, how do you do?

噢,你好吗?

I’d like you to be the photo editor of the magazine.

我希望你能做杂志的摄影编辑。

Thanks.

谢谢。

I’m flattered,

你的厚爱使我受宠若惊,

Congratulations!

恭喜你!

but I’ve worked so hard on Family Album, U. S. A.,

但是我一直为Family Album, U.S。A。辛勤工作,

Thanks.

谢谢。

but I’m happy being a photographer.

但我乐于当一名摄影师。

and I’m giving some thought to a new book on a different subject.

如今我又开始在构想另一本不同题材的新书。

Richard, I know your next book will be a success.

Richard,我相信你的下一本书会成功。

You’re a real Stewart!

你真不愧是Stewart家的人!

I understand, Richard.

我懂了,Richard。

Thank you,

谢谢你,

but I enjoy taking pictures, and I want to continue doing that.

但我喜欢拍照片,而且我要继续做这一行。


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号 | 网站地图