Chapter 6 Outside the Hospital
第六章 在医院的外面

Merrick had a lot of friends now, but he was more like a child than a man.
麦里克现在有了许多朋友,但他更像个孩子而不是一个男人。
He could read about things, and talk to his visitors, but he could not go out of the hospital by himself.
他能通过阅读了解各种事情,也能和来访者交谈,但他不能独自走出医院。
He thought and played like a child.
他的思维和玩耍方式都像个孩子。

After Christmas, he wanted to go to the theatre.
圣诞节后,他想去剧院看戏。
This was very difficult, because I did not want the people in the theatre to see him.
这非常困难,因为我不想让剧院里的人看到他。
But a kind lady from the theatre—Mrs Kendal—helped us.
但剧院里一位好心的女士——肯达尔夫人——帮助了我们。
We bought tickets for a box at the side of the theatre.
我们买下了剧院侧面的一个包厢。
We went to the theatre in a cab with dark windows, and we went into the theatre by a door at the back—the Queen’s door.
我们乘坐窗户遮光的马车前往剧院,并从剧院后门——即女王专用门——进入。
Nobody saw us.
没有人看到我们。

Three nurses sat at the front of the box, and Merrick and I sat in the dark behind them.
三个护士坐在包厢的前排,麦里克和我则坐在她们身后的暗处。
Nobody in the theatre could see us, but we could see the play.
剧院里的任何人都看不见我们,但我们可以看到演出。

It was a children’s Christmas play.
那是一部儿童圣诞剧。
Merrick loved it.
麦里克非常喜欢。
It was a most wonderful, exciting story.
这是一个极其精彩、令人兴奋的故事。
Often he laughed, and sometimes he tried to sing like the children in the theatre.
他常常大笑,有时还试图像剧院里的孩子们一样歌唱。
He was like a child.
他就像个孩子。
For him, everything in the story was true.
对他来说,故事里的一切都是真实的。

Once he was very afraid, because the bad man in the play was angry and had a knife.
有一次他非常害怕,因为剧中的坏人生气了,还拿着一把刀。
At first Merrick wanted to leave the theatre, but I stopped him.
起初麦里克想离开剧院,但我拦住了他。
Then he was very angry with this bad man in the play.
然后他对剧中的这个坏人非常生气。
He hit his hand on his chair, and stood up and talked to the man.
他用手拍打椅子,站起来对着那个人说话。
But nobody heard him.
但没有人听见他。
When the bad man went to prison, Merrick laughed.
当坏人被关进监狱时,麦里克笑了。

Merrick thought the beautiful young lady in the play was wonderful.
麦里克觉得剧中的那位年轻漂亮女士非常棒。
He wanted to talk to her too.
他也想和她说话。
At the end of the play he was very happy because she married a good young man.
剧终时他非常高兴,因为她嫁给了一个善良的年轻人。

He remembered this play for a long time, and he talked a lot about the people in it.
他很久都记得这出戏,并经常谈论里面的人物。
‘What do you think they did after we left?’ he asked me.
“你觉得我们离开后他们做了什么?”他问我。
‘Where do the young lady and the young man live? What are they doing now?’
“那位年轻女士和那位年轻人住在哪里?他们现在在做什么?”

‘I don’t know,’ I said.
“我不知道,”我说。
‘Perhaps they live in the country.’
“也许他们住在乡下。”
Merrick thought about this for a long time.
麦里克为此想了很久。
Then he said: ‘Dr Treves, can I go to the country, please?’
然后他说:“特里维斯博士,我可以去乡下吗?”

‘I saw the country once from a train, but I never went there.’
“我曾经在火车上看到过乡下,但我从未去过那里。”
‘I often read about it in books. It’s very beautiful, isn’t it? I would like to see it.’
“我经常在书里读到它。那里非常美,不是吗?我想去看看。”

The visit to the theatre was difficult but a visit to the country was more difficult.
去剧院很难,但去乡下更难。
But again, one of his new friends helped us.
但又一次,他的一位新朋友帮助了我们。
She had a small house in the country, and Merrick could stay in it for the summer, she said.
她说她在乡下有一间小房子,麦里克可以去那里避暑。

I took Merrick to the country in a train with dark windows, so nobody could see him.
我带着麦里克坐上了一列窗户遮光的火车,这样没人能看到他。
Then we went in a cab to the country house.
然后我们坐马车去了那栋乡间别墅。

There were a lot of trees near the house, but no people lived near it.
房子附近有很多树,但附近没有人居住。
A countryman brought food to the house everyday, but no people came near it.
一个乡下人每天送来食物,但没有其他人靠近这里。

I stayed with him that night.
那天晚上我和他待在一起。
At night, it was very dark and quiet.
晚上,那里非常黑暗和安静。
In the morning, hundreds of birds sang in the trees, and everything outside the house was green.
早上,成百上千只鸟在树上歌唱,房子外面的一切都是绿色的。
Merrick walked under the big trees, looking at things happily, and singing his strange song.
麦里克在大树下散步,快乐地看着周围的事物,唱着他那奇怪的歌。

I went back to London, but Merrick stayed there for six weeks.
我回到了伦敦,但麦里克在那里待了六个星期。
He was wonderfully happy.
他感到无比幸福。
Every week, he wrote me a letter.
每周,他都给我写一封信。

Apple Tree House,
苹果树庄园,
West Wickham,
西维克哈蒙,
Berkshire.
波克郡。
21st July 1889
1889年7月21日

Dear Dr Treves,
亲爱的特里维斯博士:

I had a wonderful day again today.
今天我又度过了美好的一天。
It was very warm, so I walked under the trees and sat by a stream.
天气非常暖和,所以我走在树下,坐在小溪旁。
The water in the stream made a beautiful noise, like singing.
溪水发出美妙的声音,像是在歌唱。
Did you know that? I listened to it for two hours.
你知道吗?我听了两个小时。

Lots of little birds came near me.
许多小鸟来到我身边。
One had a red body in front, and a brown back.
其中一只胸前是红色的,背部是棕色的。
I gave it some bread, and it sat on my hand.
我给了它一些面包,它就停在我的手上。
A lot of birds are my friends, now.
现在许多鸟都是我的朋友。

I watched the fish in the stream, too.
我也观察了溪流中的鱼。
They were very exciting, because they move very fast.
它们非常令人兴奋,因为它们游得非常快。
One minute they were there, and the next minute I couldn’t see them.
前一分钟它们还在那里,下一分钟我就看不见它们了。
But I waited quietly, and they always came back.
但我静静地等待,它们总会回来。
I put my hand in the water, but I couldn’t touch them.
我把手伸进水里,但摸不到它们。

I met a big dog yesterday.
昨天我遇到了一只大狗。
It made a very loud noise, but I was not afraid.
它发出很大的声音,但我并不害怕。
I sat down quietly and looked at it, and it came and smelt my hand.
我静静地坐下看着它,它走过来闻了闻我的手。
I saw it again today, and gave it some bread.
今天我又见到了它,给了它一些面包。
It likes me now.
它现在喜欢我了。

I am going to put some flowers from the country in this letter.
我要在这封信里夹一些乡下的花。
There are hundreds of flowers here.
这里有成百上千种花。
Did you know that? I like the little blue ones best, but they are all beautiful.
你知道吗?我最喜欢那些蓝色的小花,但它们都很美。
I have lots of them in my room.
我的房间里有很多。
I give them water every morning.
我每天早上给它们浇水。
Little flowers are very thirsty, you know!
你知道吗,小花非常渴!

I am very happy here, doctor, but I want to see you again soon, too.
医生,我在这里非常快乐,但我也很想很快再见到你。

With love from your friend,
爱你的朋友,

Joseph Merrick
约瑟夫·麦里克

At the end of the summer he came back to London.
夏末,他回到了伦敦。
He was very well, and his skin looked much better.
他身体很好,皮肤状况也改善了很多。
He talked about the country a lot, but he was happy to see his friends and his books again, too.
他经常谈论乡下,但他也很高兴能再次见到他的朋友和书。

上一篇:The Elephant Man by Tim Vicary 5 (象人 / 蒂姆·维克瑞 5)

下一篇:The Elephant Man by Tim Vicary 7 (象人 / 蒂姆·维克瑞 7)


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号