9 The Escaped Prisoner第9章 出逃的囚犯
Mr Stapleton came to the Hall and met Sir Henry that same afternoon.
斯台普顿先生于当日下午前来庄园拜访亨利爵士。
The next morning he took us to the place where the evil Sir Hugo died.
第二天早晨,他带着我们去看了那个罪恶的雨果出事的地点。
Then we had lunch at the House.
然后,我们在格林盆宅邸吃了午饭。
Sir Henry clearly thought Miss Stapleton was very beautiful.
亨利爵士显然认为斯台普顿小姐很漂亮。
His eyes followed her everywhere.
他的目光一直追随着她。
He liked her very much, and I was sure that she felt the same about him.
他非常喜欢她,我还敢肯定她对他也有此同感。
He spoke about her again and again as we walked home.
在我们回家的路上,他屡次谈到了她。
After the first meeting, we met the Stapletons almost every day.
自从第一次见面之后,我们便几乎每天都能见到斯台普顿兄妹。
After a short time it was clear that Sir Henry had fallen deeply in love with the beautiful Miss Stapleton.
不久之后,亨利爵士深深地爱上了漂亮的斯台普顿小姐,这点已相当明显了。
At first I thought that Stapleton would be very pleased if his sister married Sir Henry.
我起初以为斯台普顿会为他的妹妹与亨利爵士的结合而大为高兴的。
However, I soon realized that he did not want their friendship to grow into love.
然而,我不久之后便意识到他并不想让他们之间的友谊发展为爱情。
He did everything he could to make sure that they were never alone.
他想尽办法避免他俩有独处的机会。
On one or two occasions they did manage to meet alone, but Stapleton followed them and was not pleased to see them together.
他们曾有一两次想方设法单独见面了,可是斯台普顿跟踪了他们,见他们在一起时并不高兴。
I soon met another neighbour of Sir Henry’s.
我很快又遇到了亨利爵士的另一位邻居。
His name was Mr Frankland, and he lived about four miles to the south of the Hall.
他是福兰克兰先生,住在庄园以南约四英里远的地方。
He was an old man with a red face and white hair.
他是一位面色红润、头发银白的老人。
He had two hobbies.
他有两个癖好。
The first was arguing.
其一是争辩。
He argued with everybody.
他会和所有的人争论一番。
The second hobby was studying the stars.
其二是研究星相。
For this he had a very big telescope.
他为此买了个很大的望远镜。
For several days he had been watching the moor through the telescope.
数天来他一直在用这架望远镜注视着沼地。
He wanted to find Selden, the escaped murderer.
他希望能发现塞尔登,那位逃犯。
Nobody had seen the prisoner for a fortnight, and we all thought that he had probably left the moor.
两周以来没人见过那位囚犯,大家都以为他可能已经离开沼地了。
A few nights later I was woken by a noise at about two in the morning.
几天之后的一个晚上,我在凌晨两点钟左右时被一声响声弄醒了。
I heard someone walking softly outside my door.
我听见有人在我的门外轻声走动。
I got up, opened the door and looked out.
我爬起身来,打开房门并向外张望。
I saw Barrymore moving carefully and quietly away from me.
我看到白瑞摩正小心谨慎而又悄无声息地从我这边走开。
I followed him, as quietly as I could.
我尽量无声无息地跟着他。
He went into one of the empty bedrooms and left the door open.
他走进了一间没人住的卧室并把房门就那么开着。
I went quietly up to the door and looked inside.
我悄悄地走到房门跟前并向里边瞧去。
Barrymore was standing at the window.
白瑞摩正站在窗户旁。
He was holding a light in his hand and looking out onto the moor.
他手里拿着蜡烛,透过窗户盯着外面的沼地。
He stood without moving for a few minutes and then he put out the light.
他一动不动地站了几分钟,然后弄灭了蜡烛。
I went quickly back to my room.
我赶快回到了我的房中。
A few minutes later I heard Barrymore go softly by.
几分钟之后我听到白瑞摩轻轻地走过我的门口。
The next morning I told Sir Henry what I had seen.
第二天早晨我将我所看到的情景告给了亨利爵士。
‘We must follow him and find out what he is doing,’ said Sir Henry.
“我们得跟踪他并看看他在干些什么,”亨利爵士说道。
‘We won’t hear us if we move carefully.’
“要是我们小心走动的话他是不会听见我们的。”
That night we sat in Sir Henry’s room and waited.
那天晚上我们坐在亨利爵士的房间里等着。
At about three o’clock in the morning we heard the sound of footsteps outside the bedroom.
大约在凌晨3点钟时,我们听到了卧室外面的脚步声。
We looked out and saw Barrymore.
我们向外望去,看到了白瑞摩。
We followed him as quietly as we could.
我们尽量无声无息地跟踪着他。
He went into the same room as before.
他同前一次一样,又到了那个房间里。
We reached the door and looked in.
我们来到房门旁边向里望去。
There was Barrymore, with the light in his hand, looking out across the moor, exactly as I had seen him on the night before.
白瑞摩手里拿着蜡烛,正望着窗外的沼地。这和我前一天夜里看到的情景一模一样。
Sir Henry walked into the room and said: ‘What are you doing here, Barrymore?’
亨利爵士走进屋里并且说道:“你在这里干什么呢,白瑞摩?”
Barrymore turned round quickly, surprise and horror on his face.
白瑞摩赶快转过身来,脸上露出又惊又怕的神色。
‘Nothing, Sir,’ he said.
“没干什么,爵爷,”他说道。
The shadows on the wall from his light were jumping up and down as his hand shook.
由于他的手抖动着,墙壁上烛光里的人影也不停地上下跳动着。
‘It was the window, sir. I go round at night to see that they are closed, and this one wasn’t shut.’
“是由于窗户,爵爷。我在夜间巡视是想看看窗户是否都已关好了,而这个窗户并没关好。”
‘Come now, Barrymore,’ said Sir Henry.
“得了吧,白瑞摩,”亨利爵士说道。
‘No lies. What were you doing with that light? You were holding it up to the window.’
“不要撒谎。你用那个蜡烛干什么?你刚才可是把它举在窗口了。”
I suddenly had an idea.
我突然灵机一动。
‘I think he was sending a message,’ I said.
“我想他那时是在传送信号,”我说道。
‘Let’s see if there’s an answer from someone on the moor.’
“我们来看一下沼地上是否有人回答信号。”
I held the light up to the window, and looked out into the darkness.
我把蜡烛高举向窗口并注视着漆黑的外面。
Suddenly a light answered from the moor.
突然之间,一个光点从沼地那边回应着。
‘There it is,’ I cried.
“就在那儿,”我喊道。
I waved my light backwards and forwards across the window.
我在窗户边前后晃动着蜡烛。
The light on the moor answered by moving in the same way.
沼地上的灯光也以同样的方式移动着以回应我们。
‘Now, Barrymore, who is your friend on the moor? What’s going on?’
“我说,白瑞摩,沼地上的你的那个朋友是谁?发生着什么事情?”
‘That’s my business,’ said Barrymore, ‘I won’t tell you.’
“那是我个人的事,”白瑞摩说道。“我不会告诉您的。”
‘Are you making some criminal plan against me?’
“你是在搞什么阴谋加害我吗?”
‘No, it’s nothing against you, sir,’ said a voice behind us.
“不,爵爷,不是害您呀!”从我们身后传来了一个声音。
It was Mrs Barrymore.
此人是白瑞摩太太。
She had followed us and was standing at the door.
她一直跟踪着我们,现在正站在门口。
‘He’s doing it for me.
“是为了我他才这么干的。”
‘My unhappy brother is cold and hungry on the moor.
“我那不幸的弟弟正在沼地上忍饥受冻。”
‘We cannot let him die.
“我们不能让他死。”
‘Our light is to tell him that food is ready for him.
“这烛光是告诉他食物已经给他准备好了。”
‘His light shows us where to take it.’
“他那边的灯光则向我们表明我们该把食物送到什么地点。”
‘Then your brother is…’ began Sir Henry.
“那么说,你的弟弟是……”亨利爵士开口道。
‘The escaped prisoner, sir. Selden, the murderer. He is my younger brother. He has done evil things, but to me he is still the little boy I loved and cared for. I had to help him. Everything my husband has done has been for me. Please don’t take his job from him. It’s not his fault.’
“是那个潜逃的罪犯,爵爷。塞尔登,那个杀人凶手。他是我弟弟,他干了许多坏事。但是对我来讲他依旧是我曾爱护过的那个小男孩。我得帮他。我丈夫所做的一切都是为了我。请别把他辞掉。这不是他的过错。”
Sir Henry turned to Barrymore and said: ‘I cannot blame you for helping your wife. Go to bed, and we’ll talk about this in the morning.’
亨利爵士转向白瑞摩,并说道:“你帮你太太的忙,我不能为此怪你。去上床睡觉吧,我们明早再谈这件事。”
The Barrymores left us.
白瑞摩夫妇从我们这儿走开了。
‘The murderer is waiting out there by that light,’ said Sir Henry.
“那个杀人凶手正在外边的那个亮光旁等着呢,”亨利爵士说道。
‘He’s a danger to everyone.
“他对大家都是个危险。”
‘I’m going to catch him.
“我要去抓住他。”
‘If you want to come with me, Watson, fetch your revolver and let’s go.’
“如果您想和我一道去的话,华生,那就去取您的左轮手枪,然后咱们就去吧。”
We left the Hall immediately.
我们马上离开了庄园。
‘We must surprise him and catch him,’ said Sir Henry.
“我们必须出其不意地将其抓获,”亨利爵士说道。
‘He’s a dangerous man.
“他是个危险人物。”
‘Now, Watson, what would Holmes say about this? Do you remember what the old papers said? They said the Devil does his work when the world is dark.’
“我说,华生,这样干福尔摩斯会说什么呢?您还记得那份古老的手稿怎么说的吗?说恶魔兴于黑夜。”
Just as he spoke there came a strange cry from across the moor.
他正说话的当中,沼地上传来了一声奇怪的叫声。
It was the same cry I had heard when I was with Stapleton on the edge of the Great Grimpen Marsh.
就是我在格林盆大泥潭边缘与斯台普顿在一起时听到的那种声音。
‘What is that noise?’ asked Sir Henry.
“那是什么声音?”亨利爵士问道。
He stopped and put his hand on my arm to hold me back.
他停下了脚步,抓住我的胳膊把我往回拽。
‘I’ve heard it before,’ I said.
“我以前听到过这种声音,”我说道。
‘Stapleton says it’s the cry of a bird.’
“斯台普顿说这是一种鸟的叫声。”
‘Watson,’ said Sir Henry, his voice shaking, ‘it is the cry of a hound. What do the local people say it is?’
“华生,”亨利爵士说道,他的声音这时颤抖着。“这是猎犬的叫声。当地人把它叫什么呢?”
‘They say it is the cry of the Hound of the Baskervilles,’ I replied.
“他们说这是巴斯克维尔猎犬的叫声,”我回答道。
‘Can there possibly be some truth in the story?’
“难道那个故事中真有几分真实的成分吗?”
‘Am I really in danger from such an evil thing? I think I am as brave as most men, but that sound froze my blood.’
“我真的正受到那个邪恶的东西的威胁吗?我认为我与大多数人一样勇敢,可是这个声音使我毛骨悚然。”
‘But we have come out to catch that prisoner, and the Devil himself will not make me turn back.’
“不过,我们是来抓罪犯的,恶魔本人也不能把我吓回头。”
It was difficult to cross the moor in the dark, but at last we reached the light.
要在黑暗之中走过沼地是件难事,但是我们最终还是到达了光亮所在之处。
It was standing on a rock.
蜡烛被搁在了一块岩石之上。
Suddenly an evil face, more like an animal than a man, looked at us from behind the rock.
突然之间,一张邪恶的、与其说是人长的不如说是野兽般的面孔从岩石后面探出来张望着我们。
The escaped prisoner saw us and screamed as he turned to run.
这个逃犯看到我们便尖叫着转身逃开了。
Sir Henry and I were both good runners and very healthy men, but we soon realized that we had no chance of catching Selden.
我和亨利爵士都是飞毛腿,身体又很健康,可是我们很快便意识到已没机会抓获塞尔登了。
He knew the way, and was running for his life.
他既识路又在逃命。
Soon we had lost him in the dark, so we stopped and sat down, breathing heavily, to rest.
不久之后我们便在黑暗之中看不到他了,因此我们便停下脚步,喘着粗气坐下来休息一番。
At that moment a very strange thing happened.
就在那时,发生了一件非常奇怪的事情。
The moon was low upon our right, and in its light we could see the top of a hill.
月亮低悬在我们右侧的空中,我们在月光下看到一座小山的尖顶。
On that hill, with the moon behind him, stood a tall, thin man.
在山顶上站着一个又高又瘦的男子,他背后的天幕上挂着一轮月亮。
He was standing perfectly still.
他一动不动地站着。
He was watching us.
他正注视着我们。
It was not Selden, who had been running away from that hill.
此人并非塞尔登,塞尔登已从那座山的旁边跑远了。
This man was much taller.
此人要比他高得多。
With a cry of surprise I turned to Sir Henry.
我惊叫一声,向亨利爵士转过身去。
As I turned, the man disappeared.
就在我转身时此人便消失了。
I wanted to go across to the hill and search for him, but we were tired and I remembered that Sir Henry might be in danger.
我本想去小山那边搜寻一番的,但是我们已精疲力尽了,我还想到亨利爵士可能有危险。
So we went back to Baskerville Hall.
于是我们便回巴斯克维尔庄园去了。
Who was the tall man I had seen standing against the moon?
我所看到的这位背对月亮而站立的高个男人是谁?
Was he an enemy, or a friend who was watching over us?
他是敌人还是密切注视着我们的朋友?
I wished more and more that Holmes could leave London and come to Baskerville Hall.
我越来越希望福尔摩斯能够从伦敦脱身到巴斯克维尔庄园来。
I wrote to him every few days and gave him the details of everything that happened and everyone I met.
每隔不几天我便给他写封信,详尽地告诉他有关这儿所发生的每件事情以及我所见到的每位人士的情况。
上一篇:The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle 8 《巴斯克维尔猎犬8》
下一篇:The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle 10 《巴斯克维尔猎犬10》
0 条评论