“They look square,” said Veruca Salt. “They look completely square.”

“它们看起来是方的。”维鲁卡·索尔特说,“它们看起来完全是方的。”

Everybody stopped and crowded to the door. The top half of the door was made of glass. Grandpa Joe lifted Charlie up so that he could get a better view, and looking in, Charlie saw a long table, and on the table there were rows and rows of small white square-shaped sweets. The sweets looked very much like square sugar lumps — except that each of them had a funny little pink face painted on one side. At the end of the table, a number of Oompa-Loompas were busily painting more faces on more sweets.

所有的人停下来挤在门外。门的上半部分是玻璃的。约瑟夫爷爷把查理举起来,好让他看得清楚些。查理望进去,看见一张长桌子上面放有一排排白色正方形的糖。这些糖看上去非常像普通的方糖,只是每一块上面都画有一张粉红色的滑稽小脸。在桌子的一头,一些奥帕—伦帕人正在忙着给更多的糖画上脸。

“They don’t look round to me,” said Mike Teavee.

“我觉得它们看起来一点儿也不圆。”迈克·蒂维说。

“There you are!” cried Mr Wonka. “Square sweets that look round!”

“瞧吧!”旺卡先生叫道,“这些就是看起来圆滚滚的方糖!”

“But they are square,” said Mr Wonka. “I never said they weren’t.”

“它们本来就是方的,”旺卡先生说,“我从来没有说过它们不是方的。”

“You said they were round!” said Veruca Salt.

“你说它们是圆的!”维鲁卡·索尔特说。

“They look round,” insisted Mr Wonka.

“它们看起来圆滚滚!”旺卡先生坚持说。

“But they don’t look round!” said Veruca Salt. “They look square!”

“但它们看起来并不圆滚滚!”维鲁卡·索尔特说,“它们看起来是方的!”

“I never said anything of the sort,” said Mr Wonka. “I said they looked round.”

“我从来没有说过这种话,”旺卡先生说,“我说它们看起来圆滚滚。”

“They most certainly do not look round!” cried Veruca Salt.

“它们看起来百分之百不圆!”维鲁卡·索尔特叫起来。

“Veruca, darling,” said Mrs Salt, “pay no attention to Mr Wonka! He’s lying to you!”

“维鲁卡,小宝贝,”索尔特太太说,“不要听旺卡先生的!他在骗你!”

BUTTERSCOTCH AND BUTTERGIN, it said on the next door they passed.

他们经过的下一道门写道:牛油苏格兰威士忌糖和牛油杜松子酒糖。

“How dare you speak to me like that!” shouted Mrs Salt.

“你怎么敢这样对我说话!”索尔特太太大叫。

“Come on!” said Mr Wonka, starting off down the corridor again. “On we go! We mustn’t dawdle!”

“走吧!”旺卡先生说着,又顺着走廊走,“我们继续走吧!我们一定不能这样慢吞吞的!”

He took a key from his pocket, and unlocked the door, and flung it open… and suddenly… at the sound of the door opening, all the rows of little square sweets looked quickly round to see who was coming in. The tiny faces actually turned towards the door and stared at Mr Wonka.

他从衣袋里掏出一把钥匙,打开门锁,把门打开…忽然之间…一听到开门的声音,一排排的小方糖立刻把眼睛睁圆,转过来看是谁进来了。那些眼睛确实瞪得圆滚滚的,向门这边转过来盯着旺卡先生看。

“By golly, he’s right!” said Grandpa Joe.

“天哪,他的话是对的!”约瑟夫爷爷说。

“Glorious stuff!” said Mr Wonka. “The Oompa-Loompas all adore it. It makes them tiddly. Listen! You can hear them in there now, whooping it up.”

“了不起的东西!”旺卡先生说,“奥帕—伦帕人全都喜欢它们。它们使他们醉醺醺的。听!你可以听到他们在里面狂欢。”

“There you are!” he cried triumphantly. “They’re looking round! There’s no argument about it! They are square sweets that look round!”

“你来了!”他得意地叫道他们在四处张望!没什么可争论的!它们是方形的糖果,看起来很圆!”

“Oh, do shut up,” said Mr Wonka. “Now watch this!”

“噢,闭上你的嘴!”旺卡先生说,“现在瞧这个吧!”

“My dear old fish,” said Mr Wonka, “go and boil your head!”

“我亲爱的老家伙,”旺卡先生说,“去你的吧!”

“Now that sounds a bit more interesting,” said Mr Salt, Veruca’s father.

“这些东西听起来更加有趣。”维鲁卡的爸爸索尔特先生说。

Shrieks of laughter and snatches of singing could be heard coming through the closed door.

震耳的欢笑声和阵阵歌声从关着的门里传出来。

“They’re drunk as lords,” said Mr Wonka. “They’re drinking butterscotch and soda. They like that best of all. Buttergin and tonic is also very popular. Follow me, please! We really mustn’t keep stopping like this.” He turned left. He turned right. They came to a long flight of stairs. Mr Wonka slid down the banisters. The three children did the same. Mrs Salt and Mrs Teavee, the only women now left in the party, were getting very out of breath. Mrs Salt was a great fat creature with short legs, and she was blowing like a rhinoceros. “This way!” cried Mr Wonka, turning left at the bottom of the stairs.

“他们烂醉如泥,”旺卡先生说,“他们在喝牛油苏格兰威士忌糖加苏打水。他们最喜欢这个了。牛油杜松子酒糖加苏打水也很受欢迎。请跟我来吧!我们实在不应该这样停下来。”他向左转,然后向右转。他们来到一个长楼梯边。旺卡先生坐在扶手上滑下去。三个孩子照着他的样子做。剩下来的两位女士,索尔特太太和蒂维太太,已经气也透不过来了。索尔特太太是个短腿大肥婆,这时她喘着气,像头犀牛一样。“这边来!”旺卡先生叫道,他在楼梯底下向左转。

“Get where?” asked Veruca Salt.

“到哪里?”维鲁卡·索尔特问。

“Go slower!” panted Mrs Salt.

“走得稍慢一点儿!”索尔特太太喘着气说。

“Impossible,” said Mr Wonka. “We should never get there in time if I did.”

“不可能,”旺卡先生说,“走慢点我们就不能及时到达。”

“Never you mind,” said Mr Wonka. “You just wait and see.”

“你不用管,”旺卡先生说,“等着瞧就是了。”


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号 | 网站地图