Well,
那么,
Ah, good morning, Robbie.
啊,早安,Robbie。
I am hungry.
我真是饿了,
You’ll be OK.
你不会有问题的。
No, I have to turn it in in the morning.
不行,明天上午我得交出去。
Well, don’t work all night.
好啦,别通宵工作。
Me?
我吗?
“Hail to the victors valiant,
“向勇敢的胜利者致敬,
Good night, Son.
晚安,孩子。
Come on in, Dad.
请进来,爸爸。
Good night, Dad.
晚安,爸爸。
I enjoy writing.
我喜欢写作。
Dad.
爸爸。
A little scared.
有点害怕。
I felt the same way.
我当时也有这种感受。
Hail to the conquering heroes,
向进取的英雄们致敬,
Good morning, Dad.
早安,爸爸。
And… how do you feel?
那…你的感觉是什么?
I thought you might be hungry.
我想你大概饿了。
Oh, leaving home is part of growing up.
呵,离开家是成熟过程的一部分。
maybe you should think about becoming a writer.
也许你应考虑成为一名作家。
What are you working on?
你在干什么?
The scary part’s leaving home and moving to college.
害怕的是要离开家搬到学校去。
And excited, too.
也很兴奋。
I’m writing a story for the high-school paper.
我正在为高中校刊写一篇东西。
Who is it?
是谁?
Can’t you finish it tomorrow?
你明天完成它不行吗?
I don’t mind.
我不在乎。
You have lots of time to decide.
你有很多时间做决定。
That’s the worst part — making decisions.
最伤脑筋的是——作决定。
I brought you a chicken sandwich and a glass of milk.
我替你带来一份鸡肉叁明治和一杯牛奶。
What’s it about?
是关于什么的?
Ten o’clock.
十点钟。
The champions of the West!”
西部的优胜者!”
Maybe I should.
也许我该这样。
Hail, Hail to Michigan,
致敬,向Michigan致敬,
I’m writing an article on the feelings about graduation.
我在写一篇关于毕业感想的文章。
Thanks, Dad.
谢谢,爸爸。
What time is it, anyway?
几点了?顺便问一下。
Your grandfather went to the Engineering School there.
你爷爷进那里的工学院。
Who’s Charley Rafer?
谁是Charley Rafer?
Great!
真棒!
Tell him, Philip.
告诉他,Philip。
Fine, Grandpa. Fine!
很好,爷爷,很好!
Let’s meet with Charley at the university club.
我们就去大学俱乐部见见Charley吧。
But I may not want to go to Michigan.
但是,我可能不去Michigan。
It’s one of the best schools in the country, Robbie.
这是全国最好的大学之一,Robbie。
He’s the Dean of Admissions for the University of Michigan.
他是Michigan大学的新生注册主任。
But the interview will be good experience for you.
但这次面谈对你来说是一次很好的经验。
We were both on the tennis team.
我们都是网球队的队员。
Better than that.
比那种事更值得高兴。
How’s my grandson?
我的孙子怎样啦?
Ten o’clock tomorrow morning.
明早十点钟。
And he’s agreed to fit you into his schedule.
他同意明天把你安排进他的面谈名单里。
And it turns out he’s a classmate of Philip’s.
有意思的是,他和Philip是同班同学。
Yes, I know that.
是的,我知道。
Not exactly.
还不一定。
I know that, but…
这我知道,但是…
Did the University of Michigan win another football game?
是不是Michigan大学又赢得了一场足球赛?
You said you wanted to be a doctor like your father.
你说过你希望像爸爸一样成为一名医生。
to interview applicants for admission.
与申请入学者面谈。
You couldn’t pick a finer medical school than Michigan.
你再也找不到一所比Michigan大学更好的医学院了。
What’s all the cheering about?
这么高兴是为什么?
I just spoke with Charley Rafer.
我刚和Charley Rafer通了电话。
I studied medicine there.
我在那里学医学。
It is great.
的确是太好了。
It doesn’t mean you’re going to Michigan.
这并不是说你就要去Michigan大学。
It doesn’t mean you have to be a doctor.
这并不意味着你一定要当医生。
He’s going to be in New York tomorrow
明天,他要在纽约
have the interview.
去参加这次面谈。
but, well, we’ve still got some time for a cup of coffee.
不过,我们还有喝杯咖啡的时间。
I guess so.
我猜是这样。
You’re right, Robbie.
你说得对,Robbie。
So you thought about it, huh?
你考虑过了吗?
Going away to college for the first time
第一次离家上大学
Dad, growing up means
爸爸,长大了意味着
I know it’s sudden, Robbie,
我知道这件事很突然,Robbie。
I can’t wait to see my old pal Charley Rafer.
我真想早点见到老朋友Charley Rafer。
I knew you’d realize
我知道你会体会到
Sorry, Robbie. Sorry to be late this morning,
对不起,Robbie,对不起,今天早上迟了点,
Sure, Dad.
一定,爸爸。
Neither can I.
我也一样。
Thanks, Dad.
谢谢你,爸爸。
Bye, Dad.
再见,爸爸。
I’ll see you all at dinnertime.
吃晚饭时见面了。
I came to that conclusion.
我的结论也是这样。
Well, I’m glad.
好,我很高兴。
I’ll be OK.
没什么。
OK?
好吗?
Yes, I have, Dad.
是的,我考虑了,爸爸。
I’ll be OK. I just need time to think.
我会适应的,我只是需要时间思考。
And then make your own decision.
然后你自己做决定。
that this interview could be an important experience for you.
这次面谈是一次很好的经验。
I want you to know something, Son.
我希望你知道一件事,孩子。
But, like your Grandpa suggested,
但是,照你爷爷所建议的,
Well, I’ve got an appointment at the hospital.
好啦,我在医院有事。
always makes one a little nervous.
总是让人有些紧张。
I’m… very proud of you.
我很…以你为荣。
We’ll head down there first thing tomorrow morning.
明早第一件事就是去那里,
making my own decisions, doesn’t it?
我自己能做决定,对吗?
but this is an important opportunity.
但这是一次很重要的机会。
Is something still wrong, Robbie?
还有什么不对的地方吗,Robbie?
That sounds fine.
这样听起来蛮好的。
In that case, it’s OK.
这么说,我就去。
Charley Rafer — you look as young as ever.
Charley Rafer——你还像当年那样年轻。
Thanks, Dad.
谢谢,爸爸。
Philip Stewart!
Philip Stewart!
Robbie, I want you to meet
Robbie,我要你见过
Now let’s head off for the city and the university club.
现在,我们进城去,到大学俱乐部。
Fine, thank you.
很好,谢谢。
How’s Ellen?
Ellen怎么样?
one of the best tennis players on the Michigan team —
当年Michigan球队最好的网球选手—
Well, thank you, Robbie. Thank you.
嗯,谢谢你,Robbie,谢谢你。
Thanks for hearing me out. And…
谢谢你听我的意见,而且…
Well, how’re you been, Philip?
嗯,这些年来怎么样,Philip?
Yes, this is my youngest son Robbie.
是的,这是我的小儿子Robbie。
Very wise.
非常明智。
And speaking of minutes,
谈到时间,
Can you have lunch with us later?
你能与我们一起共进午餐吗?
Charley Rafer.
Charley Rafer。
That’s very wise, Robbie.
这是很明智的,Robbie。
Yeah. Thanks.
凑数的,谢谢你。
Charley was the star of the team.
Charley是当时队里的明星。
Thanks… for what?
谢什么?
Frankly, neither was I.
坦白的说,我当年也不好。
And…?
而且…?
I have interviews until noon,
我从现在到中午,有一系列的面谈,
Well, are you as good a tennis player as your dad?
嗯,你是否像爸爸那样是一名优秀的网球选手呢?
No, I’m not very good at it.
不,我网球不行。
And how’s Marge?
Marge怎么样?
in the school and loving every minute of it.
在学校里,且乐此不疲,时时如此。
Doesn’t show.
看不出来。
Nice to meet you, Dean Rafer.
很高兴见到你,Rafer主任。
It’s great to see you!
真高兴见到你!
You must be Robbie.
你就是Robbie吧。
Oh, working too hard.
噢,工作太累人了。
She’s still giving the toughest English history exams
她仍用最艰深的英国史试题考学生,
And thanks for being such an understanding father.
而且谢谢你是这样一位善于了解我的父亲。
so why don’t we get right to work?
我们现在就开始工作,好吗?
Hi.
你好。
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Right here.
在这里。
I’ll wait outside.
我到外面等。
Good-bye, Dean Rafer.
再见,Rafer主任。
You seem to have some reservations.
看起来你还有些犹豫。
All kinds — sports, editorials, theater reviews.
各种各样的—体育,社论,剧评。
You name it, I’ve written it.
你说得出的,我都写过。
I’m only here two days,
我只有两天时间,
I’m a little uncertain.
我有点犹豫不决。
It’s been very nice talking to you.
很高兴与你交谈。
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
you’ve been writing for the school paper.
你为校刊写文章。
I had a great interview
我参加了一次很精彩的面谈
What kinds of articles have you written?
你写过一些什么样的文章?
I’d love to, Philip, but I’m afraid I can’t.
我很想,Philip,但是恐怕不行。
Yes, sir.
带来了,先生。
A professional writer?
职业写作人员?
Thank you.
谢谢。
Nice talking to you, sir.
我也很高兴与您交谈,先生。
The most important thing is for you to decide your own future.
最重要的是你要自己决定自己的未来。
Hmmm.
嗯,
Well, have you ever thought of becoming a journalist?
好,你是否想过成为一名新闻从业人员?
Good-bye, Robbie. Good luck.
再见,Robbie,祝你好运。
with Admissions at Columbia University.
与Columbia大学的招生人员。
Please sit down.
请坐下。
Michigan has a fine School of Journalism.
Michigan大学有一个很好的新闻学院。
I see under “activities” that
我注意到在「活动」项目中提到
Did you bring your transcript from high school?
你把高中的成绩单带来了吗?
Not until recently.
最近才考虑到。
Good luck, Son.
祝你好运,孩子。
Well, thanks.
噢,谢了。
I understand.
我能了解。
I had an interview today, too.
我今天也参加了一次面谈。
One piece of advice.
给你一句忠告。
Yes, I know that.
是的,我知道。
and I have interviews with twenty-six applicants.
而要面谈的申请人有二十六位。
Well, they didn’t say anything for sure.
嗯,他们没有任何确切的答覆。
Do? I don’t know.
读什么?我不知道。
I know.
我知道。
Ah! I’d like to follow in my own footsteps, Mike.
噢,我想走自己的路,Mike。
You sound excited about Columbia.
听起来你对Columbia大学跃跃欲试?
The interview was fine.
面谈得很好。
It’s a great college.
那是一所好大学。
My father would like me to go there.
我爸爸希望我去那儿。
Really?
真的?
Indecision. Indecision.
下不了决心,下不了决心。
And I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately.
最近我一直就此事想了很多。
I also applied to NYU.
我还申请了纽约大学。
I think I want to study journalism
我想学新闻学,
What did they say?
他们说什么?
Have you discussed it with your parents?
你和父母商量过了吗?
It’s not easy,
实在不容易,
What about you?
你呢?
Columbia’s a terrific school.
Columbia是一所很棒的学校。
I’ve been thinking.
我一直在考虑。
What’s your problem, Mike?
你现在问题在哪里,Mike?
Will you get into the school?
你会被录取吗?
What do you want to study?
你想学什么?
How was your interview with Michigan?
你跟Michigan大学的人面谈得如何?
Great medical school, too.
而且有很好的医学院。
I’ll have no problem.
我不会有问题。
and this is an important decision we have to make.
这又是我们必须做的一个重大决定。
What are you going to do?
你打算读什么?
You do a pretty good job on the Riverdale High School paper.
你在Riverdale高中校刊做得有声有色。
He and my Grandpa both went there.
他和我爷爷都曾在那里读书。
But I figure that with my grades and with my personality,
但我想,凭我的成绩和我的品行,
to be a reporter — a newspaperman.
将来当一名记者,一个新闻从业人员。
You can follow in your father’s footsteps.
你可以跟随你父亲的足迹。
It is.
是的。
No. But I have to.
没有,但有此必要。
Hi, Dad. Everything’s fine.
嗨,爸爸。一切都好。
and one of them is Columbia.
其中一所是Columbia大学。
Well, I’ve thought a lot about which college,
嗯,我为了上哪一所大学想了很多,
And your friends are planning to go to Columbia?
而且你的朋友们也准备上Columbia大学,对吗?
Columbia? Why Columbia?
Columbia?为什么要去Columbia?
He thinks he’ll be accepted,
他觉得他会被录取,
We want you to go to college, Robbie.
我们希望你上大学,Robbie。
I know. I do.
我知道。我会的。
Well, I know you and Mom have given up a lot
嗯,我知道你和妈妈省吃俭用,
OK. Let’s talk.
好,我们谈谈吧。
Hi, Son. Is everything all right?
嗨,孩子,一切都顺利吗?
But?
那还有什么事?
He told me
他告诉我
and he really wants to go there.
他确实很想去那里。
First, they have an excellent School of Journalism.
首先,那里有个很优秀的新闻研究所。
I’ll try to explain.
我会尽量给你解释。
you had some doubts about wanting to go to Michigan.
你对上Michigan大学有些疑虑。
Dean Rafer called me today.
Rafer主任今天打电话给我。
He applied to Columbia,
他申请了Columbia大学,
I was just waiting for you to get home
我正等你回来,
and his interview was very successful.
他的面谈很成功。
He’s a nice man.
他是个好人,
Yes?
是吗?
They do.
是的。
so we could talk.
好跟你谈谈。
There is, Dad.
有,爸爸。
That’s only part of it.
这只是一部分原因。
He told me he was very impressed with you.
他告诉我他对你印象很好。
He was very kind.
对人和蔼。
Anything special you want to talk about?
有什么特殊的事要谈吗?
Mike and I had a hamburger this afternoon, and we talked.
今天下午,Mike和我一起吃汉堡,一起讨论。
It’s complicated.
原因很复杂。
to save money for my college tuition.
存钱准备我的大学学费。
I’m listening.
那就说吧。
Well, we talked about a lot of things.
嗯,我们谈了很多。
Well, Grandpa wanted me to study engineering, like him.
嗯,爷爷希望我像他一样学工程,
But I might not.
但也许不去。
What? Tell me.
什么事?说给我听听。
And if I think about it long enough, you never know…
如果我一直考虑下去的话,说不定…
but I knew engineering was not for me.
但我知道工程对我不合适。
Never know what?
说不定什么?
Well, I wasn’t clear about my future,
我对自己的未来当时也不清楚,
Robbie, you’re something!
Robbie,你真是有骨气!
I am too, Dad.
我也一样,爸爸。
Then you’re not upset
那么,你没有感到不快,
The truth.
实话实说。
Something that might be surprising to you.
一件也许会让你吃惊的事。
I’m not upset at all.
一点也不。
I might choose Michigan.
我说不定选择Michigan大学。
Well, I might want to go to Columbia.
嗯,我也许去Columbia大学。
I said exactly the same thing to Grandpa.
我跟你爷爷说了同样的话。
I’m just happy that we’re able to talk about it.
我很高兴我们能够一起商讨这件事。
What did you tell Grandpa?
那你是如何对爷爷说的呢?
That’s OK.
不去不要紧。
You know, when I was your age,
要知道,当我像你这么大的时候,
about my not wanting to go into medicine?
对我不学医。
Yes. I do.
是的,我有疑虑。
I just want to be able to make my own decision.
我只想能够自己决定。
You’re a real Stewart!
你真是我们Stewart家的人!
Let me tell you something, Robbie.
让我告诉你一件事,Robbie。
Yes, but I also want to apply to several other colleges.
是的,但我还想申请几所其他的大学。
I’m just not sure about what I want to do.
我不知道该读什么?
I thought you wanted to go to Columbia.
我还以为你只想上Columbia大学。
If I make my own decision,
如果我自己作决定的话,
I suppose you want to apply to Columbia.
我猜想你会申请Columbia大学。
You understand?
你能谅解?
0 条评论