There are lots of places to go,
有很多地方要去,
You’ve been working late
你一直工作到很晚,
Yeah,
是啊。
You and Mom haven’t had dinner together with us
你和妈妈没有和我们一起吃晚餐,
She can’t sit around and do nothing.
她总不能闲坐着无所事事呀。
Yeah.
吃了。
Aren’t you exhausted?
你不会精疲力尽吗?
I don’t have time to be exhausted.
我没有时间去精疲力尽。
How was your day?
今天好吗?
in almost a full week.
差不多有一整个星期了。
We’re in here, Dad.
我们在里面,爸爸。
I wish I had her energy.
我希望我有她那样的精力。
Either I’m at the hospital doing paperwork,
不是我在医院办公事,
It’s almost ten o’clock.
现在已经快十点钟了。
Oh?
噢?
Mmm. I’m starving.
嗯,我饿坏了。
I came home a little while ago.
我也是刚刚到家。
almost every night this week, Dad.
几乎这个星期的每天晚上都如此,爸爸。
I feel bad
我觉得很不安,
So was my night.
晚上也还不错。
Hello, Philip.
哈罗,Philip。
but our schedules are so different.
但我们的工作时间实在差太多了。
Um… where’s Mom?
唔…妈妈呢?
or Mom is at a committee meeting.
就是妈妈参加小组会议。
I guess you’re right.
我想你说得对。
She sure keeps busy.
她真的是忙个不停。
about us not having dinner with the family,
对于我们无法与全家人共进晚餐一事,
Anybody home?
有人在家吗?
It’s important to her.
这对她来说很重要。
Did you have dinner, Robbie?
你吃晚餐了吗,Robbie?
My day was just fine.
这一天还好。
Oh. Hi, gang.
噢。嗨,你们好。
Mike and I had a hamburger at the diner.
Mike和我在火车厢餐厅那里吃了汉堡。
There’s a note for you on the refrigerator.
冰箱上有她留给你的字条。
Philip works late.
Philip工作到很晚。
lots of things to do.
许多事情要做。
She went to a school-board meeting.
她去参加联合校董会会议了。
I don’t know how she does it.
我不知道她怎么办到的。
She went to a school-board meeting.
她去参加联合校董会的会议。
Where’s Mom?
妈妈呢?
I’ll be off to bed myself in a minute.
我再过一会也要上床睡觉了。
Dad often works late,
爸爸老是工作到很晚,
but there must be a way
但总该有一个办法
Reading?
读书?
Reading.
读书。
About Mom and Dad.
爸爸和妈妈。
and a good night’s sleep.
睡一个好觉。
Grandpa.
爷爷。
You have that look in your eye.
你看起来好像有了主意似的。
and Mom has all these committees she’s on.
妈妈又有那么多的小组会议要开。
I’m worried about you and Mom.
我很担心你和妈妈。
At this hour?
在这个时候?
Good night, Son.
晚安,儿子。
What are you doing up this late?
这么晚了你还没睡在做什么?
I found another mistake.
我又发现一个错误。
Haven’t you finished balancing that checkbook?
你还没有核对完支票簿帐目吗?
What are you doing up this late?
这么晚你不睡在干什么?
Concerned about whom?
为谁担心?
You didn’t finish it.
你没有吃完它。
I frankly don’t know what to do about it.
我真不知道该怎么解决。
I’m heading off for bed
我先去睡觉了,
Good night, Dad.
晚安,爸爸。
Well,
好啦,
A cookie can’t hurt, though.
但一片小甜饼不要紧。
It’s not good to eat before going to bed.
在上床前吃太多不好。
I think I’ve had enough of that sandwich.
我想我已经吃够了叁明治。
They hardly ever see each other.
他们几乎彼此不碰头。
Ah, come on, Robbie.
噢,算了吧,Robbie。
Hello there, Robbie.
哈罗,Robbie。
Quality time.
高品质时光。
of getting them to spend more time together.
能让他们有更多时间相处。
I’m really concerned about them,
我真的为他们担心,
Well, good night.
好吧,晚安。
I don’t know,
我不知道,
I’m going to bed.
我去睡觉了。
Good night, Philip.
晚安,Philip。
Well,
好啦,
What do you propose to do about it?
那你建议要怎么办?
You really have been working too hard.
你们确实太忙了。
OK. Good night.
好,晚安。
Robbie, Robbie, remember me?
Robbie,Robbie,记得我吗?
Real proud.
真的骄傲。
take a vacation away from the family — alone.
离开家人而单独在一起渡个假。
you spend with Dad and me… and the family.
你和父亲、我及全家人共度的。
OK, let’s talk.
好,让我们谈谈。
Kind of a second honeymoon.
类似二度蜜月的假期。
taking a vacation together — with the family.
要一起渡个假,全家一起。
You work hard on all your committees,
而你总是在各种委员会里忙,
You are one fantastic mom,
你是一位好母亲。
I’m concerned.
我很担心。
You and Dad are like ships that pass in the night.
你和爸爸就像在夜里交错而过的船一样。
Dad works hard, and he works late.
爸爸工作忙,而且忙到很晚。
You do?
真的?
I thought you were proud of the work I do.
我还以为你为我所做的工作感到骄傲。
I think you ought to
我觉得你们应该
Well, we always talk about
说的也是,我们常在谈论
Sure,
当然,
but… but I’ve been noticing
但…但我注意到
and you work late.
也工作到很晚。
If you have something you want to talk about,
假如你有什么事情要谈,
I know it.
我知道。
Things on my mind.
想一些事情。
I think I have an idea.
我有一个主意。
So that’s it.
原来是这件事。
but our schedules won’t allow it.
但我们的工作时间表不允许这样。
how little quality time
高品质时光太少了
I’m your mother.
我是你母亲。
Do you care to talk about them?
你想谈谈它们吗?
You haven’t been around much lately.
最近你在家的时候不多。
I’m always prepared to listen.
我总是准备听的。
if you don’t mind listening.
假如你不介意听的话。
that Dad and you can spend more time together.
能使你和爸爸有更多的时间在一起。
I am, Mom.
我确实感到骄傲,妈妈。
It would be wonderful,
那倒是很美妙,
There must be a way
总该有个办法
It’s a real problem, Robbie.
这确实是个问题,Robbie。
I’ve been trying
我一直努力,
for reading to the kids in the hospital.
为住院的孩子朗读。
So it might fit in with a program
这个跟计划相当吻合
Yes.
是的。
Yes.
是的。
that will bring Dad and you
使你和爸爸
and how important it is for them to be paid attention to?
以及他们何等需要受人关怀吧?
to read to the students — their own children, really.
共同为学生们——其实就是他们自己的孩子——朗读。
in the public school
在公立学校中
you know how Dad is always talking about
你知道爸爸时常谈起
Well, how would it be if you took some time
好,那你花些时间
because the doctors and nurses are so busy?
因为医生和护士们都非常忙?
with the school-board committee.
与联合校董会有关。
the kids in the ward
住院的孩子们
What is it?
是什么主意?
Well,
噢,
I don’t get it.
我不懂你的话。
it fits right in with something I’m working on right now
这跟我正在进行的某项小组工作不谋而合,
Yup.
是的。
and reading to them.
为他们朗读。
As a matter of fact,
事实上,
You and Dr. Philip Stewart —
你和Philip Stewart医生
together in a more scheduled way.
能更定时在一起。
Not bad.
不错。
Well…
好…
that will bring parents and teachers together once a week
让家长们及教师每星期一次
By doing that, it will encourage reading.
这样做能鼓励阅读。
to work with Dad towards solving that problem?
和爸爸一起来解决这个问题怎么样?
and how hard it is
他还说这件事很难,
You and Dad.
你和爸爸。
going to the children’s ward once or twice a week
每星期就去小儿科病房一、两次,
I think I have an idea
我想我有一个办法
Not a bad idea, Robbie.
蛮好的主意,Robbie。
to work out a program
想研拟一项计划,
Like setting up a regular weekly reading program.
譬如说开办一项每周一次的定期阅读计划。
What’s that?
什么样的工作?
You must’ve come home very late.
你一定很晚才回家。
What a wonderful morning!
多么美好的早晨!
Believe me, I won’t.
放心,我不会的。
I’m going to talk to Daddy about it right now.
我现在就去跟爸爸谈谈这件事。
It is a great idea,
这是个极好的主意。
Yes, they do.
是的,花儿好香。
Philip, I’ve been working on this special project
Philip,我一直在研拟一项特别计划
I was so tired
我太累了,
You are a very smart young man, Robbie.
你是个绝顶聪明的年轻人,Robbie。
That’s why I’m reading my paper and having my coffee
这就是今天早上为什么我看报纸喝咖啡
What is it?
是个什么样的计划?
We’ll do it!
我们就来进行吧!
Did you find the sandwich I made for you?
你找到我为你做的叁明治了吗?
You’re right.
你说得对。
Thanks, dear.
谢谢你,亲爱的。
Good luck!
祝你好运!
But Dad was so exhausted when he came home from work.
但爸爸工作回来时已经累得不得了了。
a way to encourage reading.
鼓励阅读的办法。
How was your school-board meeting last night?
昨天晚上你们的联合校董会会议开得怎么样?
I didn’t even finish it.
没有能吃完它。
Thanks, Mom.
谢谢,妈妈。
Don’t the flowers smell wonderful?
花儿闻起来好香,不是吗?
and I promise you I won’t forget.
我向你保证,我不会忘的。
on the patio this morning.
要在院子里。
Well, I think I may have found a way to do it.
噢,我想我也许已找到一种办法。
and I’d like your opinion about it.
我需要你的意见。
You won’t forget, will you?
你不会忘记吧?
I think I’ll wait until tomorrow.
我想我就等明天再谈。
Why don’t you talk to him about it tomorrow?
你何不明天再跟他谈?
with the school board,
和联合校董会一起,
Ah, it does smell sweet.
噢,它们确实很香。
Good morning, Ellen.
早安,Ellen。
I’ve been trying to find
我一直在寻求
Thank you, Robbie.
谢谢你,Robbie。
Good morning.
早安。
if people took the time to read.
只要人们肯花时间去阅读。
I think
我想
My patients — mostly kids —
我的病人——大多数是孩子们——
In the home?
在家中?
Well, tell me about it.
那么,告诉我吧。
Hmm, interesting.
嗯,有意思。
You have that look in your eye.
你的眼睛里显示出你已有了答案。
The plan is a simple one.
计划很简单。
The question is,
问题是,
you’re going to give me the answer to that question.
你是要给我这个问题的答案。
I do have an answer, Philip.
我确实有一个答案,Philip。
It can go beyond the school system, Ellen.
这可以推广到学校体制以外,Ellen。
I see how people spend their leisure time —
我看到人们怎样利用闲暇时间-
parents are invited to attend —
家长被邀请来参加
But how do you plan to do that?
但你预备怎么做呢?
Really?
真的?
Involve the entire family in a reading project.
让整个家庭都参与阅读计划。
But first in the school-rooms.
但首先是在教室里。
Mostly watching television.
大部分是看电视。
Yes, in the home.
是的,在家里。
Tell me about it.
说给我听吧。
I work with families every day, Ellen.
我每天的工作就是接触一些家庭,Ellen。
how do we get them to read more?
我们怎样才能使他们多阅读?
if, and I repeat,
只要,我重复一遍,
During that time
在那一小时,
I guarantee you it would go very well in the hospitals.
我保证在医院这种计划会推行得很好。
and to read along with the children — their children.
并和孩子们——他们的孩子们——一起阅读。
I couldn’t agree with you more.
我彻底同意你的看法。
Or at least I think I do.
至少我想我有了答案。
to schedule one hour a week — to start with.
安排一星期一个小时。
young and old.
不管是年轻的,还是年老的。
would love to read and be read to.
会喜欢阅读并喜欢别人读给他们听。
Well, that would be OK
那倒没有什么关系,
By arranging with the public schools
首先,从公立学校开始,
Well,
好,
we’ll spend more time together, Ellen.
我们会有更多的时间在一起,Ellen。
I would love to, Philip.
我当然愿意,Philip。
His house is in the village though;
虽然他的屋子是在村子里;
And that way,
而且那样的话,
Whose woods these are I think I know.
这是谁的林子,我想我知道,
To stop without a farmhouse near
为何停在没有农舍的地方
let you and I talk about it.
我们就来讨论一下。
Yes.
是的。
Would you work with me on it?
你愿意和我一起来做吗?
I love the idea.
我喜欢这个主意。
Maybe we can experiment with your patients
也许我们可以在你的病人中试试,
to do things together more — you and I.
也需要多在一起工作——你和我。
What would you like to read to them?
你想读些什么给他们听?
Yes?
是吗?
He will not see me stopping here
他不会看到我驻足此地
This is true.
这倒是事实。
I have a question.
我有一个问题。
All right.
好的。
My little horse must think it queer
我的小马一定感到奇怪,
What do we read?
我们读些什么呢?
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
注视他落满雪花的林子。
and see how the plan works.
看看这项计划实施得如何。
This would be a wonderful way to accomplish that.
这倒是达到这个目的的绝佳办法。
To the patients in the ward?
读给病房里的病人?
“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.”
『雪夜林边小驻』。
Mrs. Stewart and I
Stewart太太和我
I know so.
我确定知道是这样。
We need to find time to be together more,
我们确实需要多找时间相聚一起,
You think so?
你想会是这样吗?
will read a poem by Robert Frost.
要朗读Robert Frost作的一首诗。
Would you begin, Ellen?
请你开始,Ellen?
by Robert Frost.
Robert Frost作。
“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”
『雪夜林边小驻』,
We just don’t see each other anymore.
我们彼此差不多见不到面了。
You and I are very busy these days.
这些天来我们俩都很忙。
It’s called
它的题目是:
You were right, Robbie.
你做对了,Robbie。
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
林子迷人,漆黑而深邃,
And miles to go before I sleep.
在我就寝前还得赶许多哩路。
He gives his harness bells a shake
它摇动??绳上的铃铛
Of easy wind and downy flake.
徐风掠过和细雪纷飞。
Well, we may read together aloud at home.
嗯,我们或许可以在家里一起大声朗诵。
Grandpa!
爷爷!
To ask if there is some mistake.
想问问是否搞错了。
Do you enjoy reading together?
你们喜欢在一起朗诵吗?
I know.
我知道。
The darkest evening of the year.
在这一年中最漆黑的夜晚里。
You two belong on stage! That was wonderful!
你们俩简直是职业演员!念得太棒了!
These are lucky kids.
这是一群幸运的孩子。
Dad… Robbie. When did you come?
爸爸…Robbie。你们什么时候来的?
And miles to go before I sleep,
在我就寝前还得赶许多哩路,
We’ve been listening to you both.
我们一直在听你们朗诵。
But I have promises to keep,
但是我有约要赴,
The only other sound’s the sweep
徐风掠过和细雪纷飞
Between the woods and frozen lake
就在林子和冰湖之间
0 条评论