The one that Daddy wanted you to wear.

爸爸要你穿的那一套。

Try on the skirt and blouse outfit, Michelle —

试试上衣和裙子的那一套吧,Michelle。

OK.

好的。

I love her very much. She’s been a joy.

我很爱她。她是个讨人喜欢的孩子。

She’s never been happier.

她从来没有像现在这样快乐过。

Yes, I do. Change back into your jeans,

是的,我想看看。换回你的牛仔裤,

Turn around, Michelle. Let me see the back of it.

转过去一下,Michelle。让我看看它的背面。

It doesn’t need any alterations. We must’ve bought the right size.

不需作任何修改。我们一定是买对了尺寸。

and becoming part of the Stewart family, too.

而且成为Stewart家庭的一份子。

It’s good for every day. It will be good for school, Michelle.

这套衣服每逃诩可以穿。它适合上学时穿,Michelle。

And I’ve never been happier, Harry.

我也从来没有这样快乐过,Harry。

I like it, too. I always like skirts that go like this.

我也喜欢它。我一直喜欢能像这样飘动的裙子。

and put on the new winter jacket we bought today.

也把我们今天买的冬季夹克穿上。

I really like this one Susan. Do you?

Susan,我真的很喜欢这一件,你呢?

I like it a lot. It fits well.

我非常喜欢。它很合身。

It’s my favorite outfit.

这是我喜欢的那一套。

Well…? Could we ask for anything more?

嗯…?我们还有什么可求的吗?

Well… we…

嗯…我们…

We’re very lucky, the three of us…

我们非常幸运,我们叁个…

We couldn’t ask for anything more, could we?

我们再没什么可求的了,对吗?

How do you like it, Daddy?

你觉得怎样,爸爸?

I like the color. She looks good in blue.

我喜欢这颜色。她穿蓝色的很好看。

I like blue, too, Daddy.

我也喜欢蓝色的,爸爸。

Do you want to see the winter jacket on me, Susan?

你想看看我穿上冬季的夹克怎样吗,Susan?

Well…

嗯…

Michelle has been a different kid since we’ve been married.

自从我们结婚之后,Michelle变成另一个人了。

Looks like we should’ve bought a bigger one.

看来我们应该买一件大些的。

Well, are you going to tell me what’s on your mind, Harry?

好了,你要不要告诉我你在想什么,Harry?

when it’s very cold out.

冬天外面很冷的时候。

I have been offered a job with a major accounting company

有一家大会计公司提供我一个工作,

I look silly! It is too small!

我看来很滑稽!它太小了!

Let’s take a look at the winter jacket. Come on over here, honey.

让我们看看冬季夹克。到这儿来,亲爱的。

What did you mean by “well…?”

你说「嗯…」的意思是什么?

Sure. Put it back in your room, and we’ll hang everything up later.

当然。将它放回你的房间,过一会儿我们来一件件挂起来。

It is. That’s why we bought it for you.

是的。这就是我们买给你的原因。

I have been offered a job with a major accounting company

有一家大会计公司提供我一个工作,

in Los Angeles.

在Los Angeles。

Everything is fine, Michelle.

一切都好,Michelle。

I know. It will also affect you and your job, if we decide to go.

我知道。假如我们决定去的话,也会影响到你和你的工作。

OK.

好的。

I’m sure the store has others.

我相信那家店一定还有其它的尺寸。

in Los Angeles.

在Los Angeles。

Can I take it off? I’m hot!

我可以脱掉吗?我好热!

Los Angeles? That’s a big decision.

Los Angeles?这可是个大决定。

This will be a perfect jacket for the wintertime

这一件夹克就很受用,

You had something on your mind

你显然有话要说,

I guess we’ll have to exchange it, too.

我想我们还得去换一件。

when I said we couldn’t ask for anything more.

在我说我们再没什么可求的了的时候。

It’s kind of warm.

它很暖和。

You’re growing so fast, Michelle.

你长得太快了,Michelle。

But it’s kind of small also. We must’ve bought the wrong size.

但它也有点小了。我们一定买错了尺寸。

Is everything all right?

一切都好吗?

If it’s a good job,

假如它是个好工作,

What about the salary?

薪水怎么样?

Is everything OK?

一切都好吗?

What’s the matter, Susan?

怎么了,Susan?

Oh! Hi, Grandpa. Yes, of course, I am, but my mind isn’t.

噢,嗨,爷爷。是的,当然,我准备好了,但是有点心事。

I have a client in the garment business, on Seventh Avenue.

我有个客户在Seventh Avenue从事成衣生意。

He has a big sales office in Los Angeles,

他在Los Angeles有一个大的销售办事处,

That’s wonderful, Harry.

那太棒了,Harry。

If it’s a good one, then we’ll make it work for us.

假如它是个好工作,我们就顺水推舟。

I do his taxes every year.

我每年为他处理税务。

They know that I’m married and that I have a family.

他们知道我结婚了,有一个家。

Susan, I don’t plan to make any decisions

Susan,我不打算做决定,

Wow! It sure will. But first tell me about the job, Harry.

喔!当然会。但首先告诉我是什么样的工作,Harry。

Hello. Hello there. Are you ready for lunch with your grandpa?

哈罗。哈罗。你准备好跟你的祖父一起吃午饭吗?

and the company in Los Angeles

而在Los Angeles

Yes, honey.

是的,亲爱的。

The real discussion comes tomorrow.

明天才会正式商谈。

my career opportunities in Los Angeles.

我在Los Angeles的事业机会。

that does his major accounting work

承办他主要会计工作的那家公司

Well, there’s a lot to think about.

噢,有许多事需要考虑。

I understand, Harry.

我了解,Harry。

then I’ve got to do some thinking about

那么我就必须考虑考虑

is looking for an executive. And he recommended me.

正在物色一位主管。他推荐了我。

Yes, but it would mean that we’d have to move to L. A.

是的。但这意味着我们必须搬到Los Angeles。

until I have a chance to talk with you about it.

除非我有机会跟你谈过。

And I don’t have to make a quick decision.

而且我也不需很快下决定。

I think that you’re very successful

我认为你事业有成

Thanks, Grandpa. Please sit down.

谢谢你,爷爷。请坐。

Does it have anything to do with you and Harry?

是关于你和Harry的事吗?

I don’t know if I can get a good job in Los Angeles.

我不知道我能否在Los Angeles找到好工作。

Yes, but I don’t know where to start.

是的,但我不知道从何说起。

Tell me.

告诉我吧。

You know we’d all miss you.

你知道我们都会思念你。

you, and the rest of our family.

你和我们家的其他人。

and I think

我觉得

And what about our family?

另外就是我们家的人怎么办?

I think you could talk to Mr. Marchetta,

我想你可以跟Marchetta先生谈谈,

It’s something that only you and Harry can work out.

这件事只有你和Harry才能定夺。

Well, this is something to think about.

噢,这种事确实需要想一想。

he could help you find a real good job in Los Angeles.

他能够帮你在Los Angeles找个很好的工作。

There are so many things to consider. There’s Michelle.

要考虑的事太多了。首先是Michelle。

Can I tell you what I think?

让我来告诉你我的想法好吗?

Maybe I can help. Tell me what it is, Susan.

也许我能帮忙。说给我听听,Susan。

But I’m not so sure that I want to leave New York,

但我不能确定我真想离开纽约、

A real dilemma.

一个大伤脑筋的事。

I wonder if a move would be a bad thing for her. And my job.

我不知道搬家对她来说是否是件坏事。还有我的工作。

Oh! Harry has been offered a job in Los Angeles.

噢!有人聘请Harry到Los Angeles工作。

He was very helpful to me, remember?

他帮过我大忙,记得吗?

Well, I’m not going to kid you, Susan.

噢,我可不想哄你,Susan。

But this should be your decision.

但这必须由你做决定。

I suppose I could call him.

我想我可以打电话给他,

and that you have a fantastic reputation in the toy industry.

而且在玩具界有很好的声誉。

sacrifices have to be made by one partner from time to time.

总要有一方必须不时做些牺牲。

Good idea.

好主意。

I don’t know for sure.

我不太清楚。

And I have to discuss it with my wife.

我必须跟我的太太讨论。

Talk it over. Think it over. Let me know by the end of the week.

好好地谈一谈。好好地想一想。这个周末以前让我知道你的决定。

She’ll love it. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime offer, Harry.

她也会喜欢的。这是个千载难逢的机会,Harry。

I think Michelle is better off staying where she is.

我觉得Michelle待在原地比较好。

I have to do what I can do to support him.

我就应该尽我的力量来支持他。

In every marriage,

婚姻中,

The company is Craft and Craft,

这家公司叫Craft and Craft,

OK. Tell it to me again.

好吧,再说给我听听。

Yeah, yeah. The biggest. When do I have to let you know?

是的,是的,最大的。我什么时候该给你回音?

I’ll call him right now. No point in delaying.

我现在就打给他。没有道理要拖拉。

And what about Michelle?

那Michelle怎么办?

I know the company well. It’s big.

这家公司我很清楚。是大公司。

Well, you’ll have to ask her.

噢,你应当问问她。

Harry, it’s the perfect job for you. You’ll love it.

Harry,那是份最适合你的工作。你会喜欢的。

I don’t know if it’s right for her.

我不知道这事对她是否恰当。

I think I’m going to have a talk with Mr. Marchetta

我想我要跟Marchetta先生谈谈,

What does she think?

她怎么想呢?

If moving to L. A. is in Harry’s best interest,

假如搬到L.A。对Harry最有利的话,

and get his feelings about my leaving.

徵求他关于我离开的意见。

Well, what do you think?

嗯,你觉得怎样?

the biggest accounting company in the country.

是全国最大的会计公司。

The biggest.

最大的。

Thanks, Grandpa.

谢谢你,爷爷。

It’s a big decision for me, Bill.

对我来说这是个大决定,Bill。

And about helping me find a job in Los Angeles.

并请他帮我在Los Angeles找一份工作。

Yup. He asked me if I want the job.

是的。他问我要不要接受那份工作。

and I think I can get a good job

而且我想我也可以找到一份好工作,

with the biggest accounting company in the country —

全国最大的会计公司——

Believe me.

相信我。

It’s a great opportunity for you, Harry.

这对你是个大好机会,Harry。

through Mr. Marchetta

透过Marchetta先生的帮助

in Los Angeles also.

在Los Angeles。

Yeah, I know. The biggest.

是的,我知道。最大的。

Aren’t you excited about that?

你不感到兴奋吗?

I met with Bill York today.

今天我跟Bill York会面了。

Craft and Craft is the biggest in the country.

Craft and Craft是全国最大的。

A vice-presidency

副总裁,

I also have my daughter to consider.

我还要考虑我女儿。

Let me know by the end of the week.

这个周末前给我回音。

No, I’m not kidding.

不,我不是说笑。

I talked to Mr. Marchetta.

我跟Marchetta先生谈了。

When would we have to move?

什么时候我们得搬家?

Sure I am. But there’s so much more to consider.

我当然兴奋。但是还有那么多问题需要考虑。

That’s exciting, Harry. What was it?

太令人兴奋了,Harry。是什么样的工作?

Of course, Harry. I want what’s best for you,

当然,Harry。我要的是对你最有利的事,

He has a major toy buyer in Los Angeles,

他在Los Angeles有一个玩具大买主,

I think Michelle is asleep now. Let’s talk.

我想Michelle现在睡着了。让我们谈谈吧。

I don’t want to interrupt her school year.

我不愿意打断她这个学年。

You’re kidding.

你在说笑吧。

Craft and Craft.

Craft and Craft。

As soon as possible.

越快越好。

I know.

我知道。

And I talked with Mr. Marchetta. Did York make the offer?

我也和Marchrtta先生谈了。York是否跟你谈那个工作机会?

I talked with him, and he understands completely.

我与他谈了,他完全了解。

What did he say? Did you tell him about me?

他怎么说?你跟他谈到我吗?

and he’s pretty sure that I can get a good job there.

他相当肯定我可以在那儿弄到一份好工作。

And how do you feel about taking the job in Los Angeles?

你对于到Los Angeles接受这份工作有何感想?

You’re right. How do you feel about it?

你说对了。你觉得怎么样?

But if you and Daddy wanted to,

但是假如你和爸爸想搬的话,

I guess you know what’s best for the family and for me.

我猜想你们一定知道怎样做对整个家庭和我是最有利的。

Well… I feel fine about it. Why shouldn’t I?

嗯…我觉得不错。为什么不呢?

Well, then you feel good about taking it?

嗯,那你觉得接受它很对了?

That’s very considerate of you, Michelle.

真会体谅别人,Michelle。

I know. I heard you talking about it

我知道。我听到你们谈论的那件事了,

What’s wrong, Susan?

有什么问题吗,Susan?

I love my school. I have so many good friends there now.

我喜欢我的学校。我现在有那么多好朋友在那里。

Oh, there’s nothing wrong, Michelle.

噢,没什么,Michelle。

But?

但是什么?

But your daddy and I are talking about something

但你爸爸和我正在讨论一件事,

I’d like to talk to you about something.

我想跟你谈一件事。

But I think we should talk to Michelle about all of this.

但我认为我们应该跟Micelle谈谈这整件事。

that I’d like your opinion about.

我需要你的意见。

Come and sit down for a minute, Michelle.

过来坐一会儿,Michelle。

I wouldn’t miss a day even if I were really sick.

即使我真的病了也不想错过一天。

the other night when I was trying on my new clothes.

也就是我试新衣服的那天晚上。

It’s about moving to Los Angeles.

是关于搬家到Los Angeles的事。

You’re right. We’ll talk to her about it.

你说得对。我们要跟她谈谈。

Well, I really wouldn’t want to move, but…

噢,我实在不愿意搬家,但是…

It’s the biggest company in the country.

它是全国最大的。

Something important.

一件重要的事。

How should I feel?

我该作何感想?

Unbelievable!

真不敢相信!

We’re a family, Harry.

我们是一家人,Harry。

What about her new friends?

那她的新朋友呢?

I’d miss them a lot,

我会非常想念他们的,

Does Daddy want to move?

爸爸想要搬吗?

Why don’t you tell us about your day.

何不告诉我们你这一天过得如何?

Michelle was chosen to do

Michelle被挑选去制作

if you’re not going to be happy about it.

假如你会因为这种事而不快乐的话。

Michelle and I have all kinds of feelings

Michelle和我感觉很复杂,

I’ll make new friends wherever we are as long as we’re together.

只要我们能在一起,无论在哪儿我都能交到新朋友。

the school poster for the play this year.

今年学校话剧的海报。

I met with Bill York.

我与Bill York会面了。

I am so touched. The two of you are really something.

我太感动了。你们俩个真是了不起。

And how was your day, Susan?

那你今天过得怎么样,Susan?

Well, how was everybody’s day today?

喂,今天各位过得怎么样?

Really, Harry.

真的,Harry。

Really?

真的?

We’ll move after the school term.

我们等这学期结束后再搬。

I think so. He’s going to tell us tonight about the job offer.

我想是这样。他今天晚上会告诉我们关于那份工作的事。

Congratulations, Michelle! That’s something!

恭喜你,Michelle!太好了!

Whatever you think is right for you is right for us.

你认为对你是好的对我们来说也是好的。

It’s OK to talk about it, Harry.

这件事可以摊开来谈,Harry。

What about Michelle’s school?

那Michelle的学校怎么办?

about leaving New York, the family, and friends.

对于离开纽约、家人、朋友。

But what about your friends?

但你的朋友怎么办?

But if you think you should take the job, we’re behind you.

但如果你认为你应该接受这份工作,我们支持你。

Honey, we don’t have to move

亲爱的,我们将不搬家,

but I know what it feels like to miss someone.

但我知道想念一个人是什么样的滋味。

Michelle knows all about it.

Michelle已经全知道了。

I see you’re in a good mood.

我看你心情很好。

Nope.

没有。

Oh, Daddy, does that mean we don’t have to move?

噢,爸爸,你的意思是我们不必搬家了?

I couldn’t be more sure, Susan.

我再确定不过了,Susan。

I’m glad if you are, Harry.

假如你很确定,我就高兴,Harry。

how could I live in Los Angeles

我怎么能住在Los Angeles,

Are you sure?

你确定?

But, Daddy, I thought…

但是,爸爸,我想…

How’s that?

这是怎么一回事?

Or me?

或者我?

Well, I began to think about you and about Michelle,

噢,我开始想到你和Michelle,

No, no. I turned it down because of me.

不,不。我因为我自己而拒绝了它。

That’s right, sweetheart.

是的,宝贝。

Your favorite people?

你喜欢的人?

because I like being my own boss.

是因为我喜欢自己当老板。

The Stewart family, of course.

当然是Stewart一家人。

I run my own company. I’m a big fish in a little pond.

我经营自己的公司。我是一条小池里的大鱼。

And I love you.

我也爱你们。

And I don’t.

我并不想这样。

Did you take the job?

你接受了那份工作吗?

I’m not really sure I want to be a little fish in a big pond.

我不是真的很确定我想成为一条大池里的小鱼。

No? You didn’t take it?

没有?你没有接受?

Who’s that?

谁呀?

What?

什么?

when all my favorite people live here?

而所有我喜欢的人都在这里?

And?

结果呢?

And besides,

更何况

do I really want to work for the biggest company in the country?

我真的想替全国最大的公司工作吗?

I went into business for myself

我当初自己开业,

OK. Now, tell us about your talk with Mr. York.

好啦,现在告诉我们你跟York先生的谈话吧。

and then I asked myself,

然后我问自己,

Harry, you didn’t turn it down because of me…

Harry,你拒绝它该不是因为我…

No, I did not take the job.

对,我没有接受那份工作。

We love you, Daddy.

我们爱你,爸爸。


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号 | 网站地图