He’s coming over to talk about it.

他就是要来谈这个问题。

Morning, Grandpa.

早安,爷爷。

But there’s the old community center on Elm Street.

但是在Elm街有一个旧的社区中心。

Is it that serious a problem, Grandpa?

这个问题有那么重要吗,爷爷?

which has been vacant for over a year now,

已空了一年多,

was supposed to be made into a community center

原计划改成一个社区交谊中心,

to serve the senior citizens

为Riverdale的老年人

He lives alone

他一个人生活,

and for the furniture needed,

和购买必需家俱,

Is something the matter, Grandpa?

怎么了,爷爷?

for the repainting of the interior of the building

用来重新粉刷内部

the plans for the community center

这项修建社区中心的计划

have been postponed indefinitely.”

被迫无限期延缓。”

It is.

是的。

“The old library building on Chestnut Street,

“Chestnut街老图书馆

It’s too noisy for some older people like Nat.

它对于像Nat这样的老人来说太吵了。

to be with people — people his own age.

和别人交往——像他那般年纪的人。

and the problem is that it’s set up primarily for kids to play.

而问题是它主要是让孩子们去玩的。

Due to lack of funds

由于缺乏经费

The editorial in this paper has my friend Nat Baker real upset.

这张报纸上的社论着实令我的朋友Nat Baker不高兴。

He doesn’t have any family with him.

他没有家人和他在一起。

Ah! I’ll read it to you.

啊!我来读给你听听。

Ping-Pong tables, soda machines, and lots of music.

乒乓球台,汽水贩卖机,热闹的音乐。

It’s small,

它小小的,

Nat’s not as lucky as I am, Robbie.

Nat不像我这样幸运,Robbie。

as well as the younger people of Riverdale.

和年轻人服务。

and depends on places like a community center

主要靠社区中心这样的地方

My final exam is next Tuesday.

期终考就在下周二。

It’s hard for some older people to take all that noise.

一些老年人没办法忍受那些噪音。

Part of the building for older people,

建筑物中的一部分给老年人用,

He’ll do anything to avoid getting down to math lessons,

他老是设法想逃避数学,

It could be Alexandra.

可能是 Alexandra。

That’s why the new community center is a good idea.

这就是为什么说新的社区中心是个好主意。

I thought that was Nat Baker who rang the front doorbell.

我还以为是Nat Baker按大门门铃呢。

I was the same way.

我当年也是这样。

Hi, Mr. Stewart.

嗨,Stewart先生。

She’s coming over this morning to help me with my math.

她今天早晨要过来帮我补习数学。

I really appreciate you coming over to help me with my math.

我真的很感谢你过来帮我补习数学。

I never realized that.

我从来没有意识到这点。

You’re so good in all your other subjects.

你别的功课都那样好。

That must be Nat.

一定是Nat。

Do you want something cold to drink?

你想喝点什么冰凉的东西吗?

We’re just having some cola

我们只是先喝点可乐,

why you have so many problems with math.

为什么你在数学方面有那么多问题。

Mr. Stewart.

Stewart先生。

I just can’t understand

我就不懂

Hi, Alexandra.

嗨,Alexandra。

Really. I didn’t like math.

真的。我不喜欢数学。

before getting to the tough stuff — math.

在对付难缠的东西——数学——之前。

Cola coming up.

可乐马上就来了。

Hi, Robbie.

嗨!Robbie。

Don’t let me interrupt you.

别让我打搅你们。

part of the building for younger people.

另一部分给年轻人用。

I see what you mean.

我明白你的意思。

No problem, Grandpa.

没有关系,爷爷。

Hi, Alexandra. Come on in.

嗨,Alexandra。请进。

Really, Grandpa?

真的,爷爷?

I’d love some cola, please.

请给我可乐。

I wasn’t good at it, and I didn’t like studying it.

我不精于此道,也不爱去学它。

I did.

看到了。

I was. But not in high school.

说的对。但高中时不好。

It’s a serious matter for a lot of us.

对我们许多人来说这可是个严重的问题。

I’d like you to meet my friend Nat Baker.

我来向你们介绍我的朋友Nat Baker。

That must be Nat.

这一定是Nat。

I know you want to get to it.

我知道你想要开始啦。

Hi, Mr. Baker. We met before.

嗨,Baker先生,我们以前见过面。

if you skip it now.

假如你现在略过它的话。

Then, in college, I became good at it.

然后,在大学里我变得很精于数学。

Stay… stay.

再待一会儿…再一会儿。

You graduated from engineering school.

你是从工学院毕业的。

I can’t wait.

我迫不及待。

I told you. He’ll use any excuse to avoid math.

我说嘛,他就是要找各种藉口来逃避数学。

In town. At the hardware store.

在镇上。在五金行里。

whom I think you’ve met once or twice before.

我想你以前见过他一两次面。

Where?

在哪里?

A serious matter.

一个严重的问题。

For some reason, I couldn’t get a handle on it.

因为某些原因,我就是开不了窍。

You think I can just skip it now and get to it at college?

你想我现在略过数学,等到上了大学再学,可以吗?

I remember now. Right. Hi.

我现在想起来了。对了。嗨。

Then there’s hope for Robbie.

看来Robbie还有希望。

But you had to be good at math.

但是你数学一定很好。

Sit down, Robbie. Let’s get to work.

坐下来,Robbie,让我们开始做功课吧。

Hello, Alexandra.

哈罗,Alexandra。

Don’t let us keep you from your math tutoring, Robbie.

别让我们妨碍你的数学家教,Robbie。

You’ll never get to college to find out, Robbie,

你根本就进不了大学去探究这个问题的答案, Robbie,

Did you read the story in the paper, Malcolm?

你看到报纸上的新闻了吗,Malcolm?

This is Alexandra Pappas, and this is my grandson Robbie,

这是Alexandra Pappas,这是我孙子Robbie,

Nice to meet you, Mr. Baker.

很高兴见到你,Baker先生。

We might need you to come through with your friends, Robbie.

我们也许需要你们多邀朋友来帮忙,Robbie。

I’ll find the people to help do it.

我可以找人来帮忙。

Not just to go around the neighborhood asking for furniture,

不仅在这社区募家具,

I’ll help too, Mr. Baker.

我也要帮忙,Baker先生。

If you would supervise the refurbishing,

假如你能监督整修过程,

I’ll do it. I’ll talk to them.

我来做,我去跟他们谈一谈。

I’ll help.

我也来帮忙。

Sure.

当然。

I could probably tell what it requires to fix it up.

我大致能说出修复它需要些什么。

It is. Come on out to the patio.

的确如此。请到院子里来吧,

If I could take a look at the place,

假如我能看看那个地方的话,

Can we help?

我们可以帮忙吗?

It’s certainly a good idea.

这的确是个好主意。

We’ll talk about it out there.

我们到外头谈。

Thanks. Nice to meet you… again.

谢谢。很高兴又…见到你。

There is a way, Malcolm.

有一个办法,Malcolm。

We get our friends to roll their sleeves up and get to work.

我们召集我们的朋友共同卷起袖子来做。

and collect the furniture we need.

募集我们需要的家具。

And tomorrow morning we’ll all meet here to discuss the plan?

是不是明天早晨我们都聚到这里来讨论整修计划?

I’d really like to.

我真的希望帮忙。

That’s what I came to ask you to do, Malcolm.

这正是我来请你做的,Malcolm。

Come on! You’ll hear about it.

来吧!你来听听。

Tomorrow. Yes. We’ll meet tomorrow morning, right here.

明天。对,我们明天早晨会面,就在这儿。

but to help with the paint job.

还要帮忙粉刷。

What’s the problem?

是什么问题?

That’s backbreaking work and may be too much for us.

这可是累人的工作,我们可能负荷不了。

I can get some of my friends to go around the neighborhood

我可以叫我的朋友们在这社区

How much paint, how many hours of work…

多少油漆,多少小时的工作量…

Weren’t they going to be here this morning?

他们不是今天早上要来这儿吗?

Robbie left early this morning to meet Alexandra.

Robbie早上很早出去接Alexandra。

Frankly, I thought they’d be here, but…

老实说,我原以为他们会在这儿,但…

I thought so, too.

我也这样想。

My pleasure, Malcolm.

我也很荣幸,Malcolm。

Sit down, sit down. Have some coffee.

请坐,请坐。喝点咖啡。

It’s OK. I’m sure they meant well,

没有关系。我敢说他们有心帮忙,

I understand you used to be in the construction business,

听说你过去从事营造业,

and make sure that it is in good condition

确定它状况良好,

Hello, Mr. Stewart.

哈罗,Stewart先生。

and used to play drums with the jazz band on weekends.

周末还经常在爵士乐队中打鼓。

Malcolm.

Malcolm。

Oh, sure I do. Hi, Abe.

噢,我当然记得。嗨,Abe。

He ran the drugstore

他经营药房,

And this is Abe Lucas. You must remember Abe.

这是Abe Lucas。你一定记得Abe。

I wonder if you would take a look at the old library

我不知道你是否可以看一看旧图书馆,

Come in, come in. Please, come in.

请进,请进。请进来。

And I’ve got some delicious Danish pastry for you.

我为你们准备了一些可口的丹麦点心。

I’m surprised they’re not here.

我奇怪他们怎么没来。

so that we don’t have to worry about any structural problems.

我们就可以不用担心任何结构上的问题。

Where’s your grandson Robbie and his friend Alexandra?

你的孙子Robbie和他的朋友Alexandra呢?

Hello, Malcolm.

哈罗,Malcolm。

Malcolm, please.

请叫我Malcolm吧。

but they probably had other things on their minds.

但他们也许还有其他的事想要做。

Hello, Joanne. Nice to meet you.

你好,Joanne。很高兴见到你。

I was, indeed.

的确如此。

Malcolm, this is Joanne Thompson.

Malcolm,这是Joanne Thompson。

I’d like you to meet my friend Malcolm Stewart.

我来为你介绍我的朋友Malcolm Stewart。

Tomorrow morning it is.

确定是明天早晨。

Then we have to furnish it.

然后我们还得装潢摆设。

If only Robbie and Alexandra were here.

要是Robbie和Alexandra在这儿多好。

That’s fine with me. I can do it either day.

对我来说时间很适合。两天中哪一天我都可以。

And a good paint job.

还需要好好的粉刷。

Tuesday or Wednesday.

星期二或者星期叁。

during the week —

在本周内——

As I said, mostly the building just needs a good cleaning.

就像我先前所说的,这栋建筑物大部份仅需要好好打扫一下。

I think the building just needs a good cleaning.

我想那座建筑只需要好好地打扫一下。

I wish Robbie and Alexandra had come to this meeting.

我真希望Robbie和Alexandra已经来参加开会。

That’s an idea I like.

我喜欢这样的主意。

And programs that don’t leave anyone out.

而且是些不排拒任何人的活动。

This place can be developed

我们可以拓展这个地方

Go ahead, Joanne.

请讲吧,Joanne。

OK.

好。

let me give you some additional thoughts and ideas I have.

让我提出一些另外的想法。

When can I do that? I’d be happy to.

我什么时候可以去看?我很乐意做这项工作。

Don’t be upset, Malcolm.

别懊恼了,Malcolm。

That would be very helpful.

你这样做帮忙可大噢。

It’s asking a lot.

那需要做许多工作。

with the kinds of programs that fit everyone.

拥有适合任何人的各式活动。

Finding out what they want.

得看看他们想要什么。

We’ve got permission to go inside the old building

我们已获准进入那栋老建筑物,

Perhaps they’ll show up. In the meantime,

也许他们会露面。在这等待期间,

A community center

一个社区中心,

But we can’t do it without talking to the young people.

但我们不能在没有跟年轻人谈谈的情况下就去做。

with one real intergenerational program.

用一套真正跨辈份的活动。

They had some ideas about getting the place fixed up.

他们对于怎么样修复这个地方有些构想。

We’ll have a chance to talk to them later.

我们以后还有机会跟他们谈。

who’s responsible for this meeting,

他是这个会议的负责人,

Hi, Mr. Stewart.

嗨,Stewart先生。

Robbie and Alexandra told me

Robbie和Alexandra告诉我

I wonder what the problem is.

我不知道发生了什么问题。

He wrote some nice articles on Mom

他写了一些介绍妈妈的好文章,

From what Robbie and Alexandra have told me,

从Robbie和Alexandra告诉我的情况看来,

You remember Charles Maxwell, Grandpa?

你记得Charles Maxwell吗,爷爷?

have been busy at work this morning

一早上都在忙着

on the community-center project.

为社区中心的事。

who used to run the drugstore in town.

他过去在镇上经营药房。

If he says he’s going to be here, he’s here.

假如他说他要来这儿,他就一定会来。

And we brought someone along who can help.

而且我们带来了能帮助我们的人。

Hope to be a bigger help on the new community-center project.

希望能在新社区中心这件事上提供更大的帮助。

you people are making one big story.

你们正在制造一件大新闻。

OK. Now, I have… first… a couple of questions here.

好,现在,我有…第一…几个问题。

Hi, everyone. Sorry I’m late.

嗨,各位好。很抱歉我迟到了。

I am planning to write an editorial that I think will help you.

我计划写一篇社论,我认为应该能帮助你们。

what you need to fix up the old library.

你们修复旧图书馆所需要的东西。

But Alexandra and I

但Alexandra和我

Let me introduce you, Mr. Maxwell.

让我给你介绍一下,Maxwell先生。

It’s not like Robbie.

这不像是Robbie的作为。

Let’s go. What are your questions?

我就进行吧。你想问哪些问题?

and this is Joanne Thompson — and Abe Lucas,

这是Joanne Thompson——还有Abe Lucas,

when she was running for the school board.

在妈妈竞选联合校董会席次时。

This is Nat Baker,

这是Nat Baker,

He’s the editor of the Riverdale paper.

他是Riverdale报的编辑。

Yes, I remember. You were a great help.

是的,我记得。你帮了个大忙。

Have you talked to the community council?

你们跟社区的议会谈过了吗?

Are there any special requirements that I should list in the paper?

有什么特别的需求要我列在报纸上的?

To do what?

做什么呢?

These items shouldn’t be difficult to come by

这些东西应该是不难弄到的,

To help scrub the building interior clean.

帮忙把建筑的内部擦洗乾净。

Let’s see. Four desks.

我来看看。四张桌子。

And you also need bodies to do repainting?

你们也需要人手来重新粉刷吗?

That’s right.

是的。

So that we can repaint it.

好让我们可以重新粉刷。

Eight straight-back chairs. Thirty folding chairs.

八张直背椅。叁十张摺叠椅。

once I print the article in the paper.

等我将这篇文章刊登在报纸上。

Six table lamps. Three end tables. One piano.

六个台灯。叁张茶几。一台钢琴。

How about furnishings?

家具、摆设怎么办?

I’ve got the council to agree

我已说服议会同意

And we’ll also need some ladders

而且我们还需要一些梯子、

People power.

人力。

When do you need the volunteers,

你们什么时候需要义工?

Yes.

是的。

And have you had an engineer come in to do an inspection?

你们可有一个工程师来做过检查吗?

and some brushes and some paint.

刷子和油漆。

to open the building for us on the next four weekends.

在往后四个周末开放那座建筑。

Men and women, young and old, to give us their time.

不管男女老幼,请他们贡献时间。

Here is a copy of all the things we need to start with.

这是我们一开始就需要的所有东西的清单。

and where do they report?

他们去哪儿报到?

This is a good start.

这是一个好的开始。

OK, what do you need most of all?

好,你们最需要的是什么?

This community has always been very generous.

这个社区一向是非常慷慨的。

I agree, Mr. Maxwell.

我有同感,Maxwell先生。

there’s no way we can complete this project.

我们无法完成这项计划。

The original plan by the council

议会原有的计划

“At the Stewart family home on Linden Street yesterday,

“昨天在Linden街Stewart的家中,

a group of caring Riverdale citizens gathered

一群热心公益的Riverdale居民聚集在一起

Oh, here. On the ground floor we have the reception area…

噢,看这个。在楼下,我们会有一个接待区…

I’ve got it. Now give me some information about

我知道了。现在告诉我,

how you see the building being used.

你们计划如何使用这栋建筑。

A list of these items and a volunteer form

这些物品的清单和义工申请表格

from the various generations of future users.

从不同辈份的未来使用者中。

And without their energy and stamina,

没有他们的体力和耐力,

and making it a new community center.

使它成为一个新的社区中心。

It’s here, Robbie.

就在这里,Robbie。

And it needs your contributions of furniture,

而且也需要你捐献家具、

What you’re saying is, in order for this center to succeed,

你刚才所说的意思是,为了使中心能成功,

Charles Maxwell, Editor.”

编辑,Charles Maxwell。”

was tabled because of lack of funds.

因为缺乏经费被无限期地搁置。

The new plan needs you.

这项新计划需要你的协助。

By working together,

透过共同工作,

paint, brushes, ladders, lamps, et cetera.

油漆、刷子、梯子、灯等等。

can be picked up at the Riverdale Press offices.

可以到Riverdale Press各办事处索取。

You could call it a community unity plan.

你可以称它为社区团结计划。

Charles Maxwell lived up to his word.

Charles Maxwell兑现了他的诺言。

It needs your time, and it needs your energy.

它需要你的时间,需要你的力气。

to plan the refurbishing of the old library

计划重新整修老图书馆,

this community can do anything to benefit its citizens,

这个社区可做任何造福居民的事情。

and we know you will all work together

我们相信各位会共同出力

we need to put together volunteers

我们需要募集义工

towards refurbishing the old library

去重新整修老图书馆,

to transform it into a new community center.

将它转变成一个新的社区中心。

That’s right.

是的。


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号 | 网站地图