RED ROSES
红红的玫瑰

There are pretty young women everywhere. And there are young men with nice smiles.
到处都有漂亮的年轻女性,也有带着迷人微笑的年轻男性。

In every town, in every city, young men are looking at young women, and young women are smiling at them.
在每一个城镇,在每一座城市,年轻男子注视着年轻女子,年轻女子也对他们报以微笑。

They look, they meet, they talk, they laugh… happy days, sweet nights – it’s love.
他们相望、相遇、交谈、欢笑……快乐的白天,甜蜜的夜晚——这就是爱情。

Will looks at Anna. She is a pretty young woman, and he wants to meet her. But how? He can hear her guitar, but he cannot find her.
威尔看着安娜。她是个漂亮的年轻女子,他想认识她。但该怎么做呢?他能听到她的吉他声,却找不到她。

Anna looks at Will. She wants to meet him too. But where is he? She can smell his roses in the elevator, but where does he go?
安娜看着威尔。她也想认识他。但他在哪里?她在电梯里闻到了他的玫瑰花香,但他去了哪里呢?

Anna’s friend Vicki wants to help. Will’s gran wants to help. But nothing happens. Can Anna find Will? Can Will meet Anna? Is it love?
安娜的朋友薇基想帮忙。威尔的奶奶也想帮忙。但什么也没发生。安娜能找到威尔吗?威尔能遇见安娜吗?这是爱情吗?

1 White roses
1 白玫瑰

It’s August. Anna is playing her guitar on the balcony of her new apartment. ‘I like it here,’ she thinks.
八月的一天。安娜正在新公寓的阳台上弹吉他。“我喜欢这里,”她想。

Then her phone rings. It’s her friend Vicki.
这时她的电话响了。是她的朋友薇基打来的。

‘I’m coming now, Anna. It’s Grandview Apartments, Charlton, isn’t it?’
“我现在就过去,安娜。是在查尔顿的格兰景公寓,对吧?”

‘That’s right. See you soon.’
“没错。一会儿见。”

Anna takes her guitar and goes out of her apartment. She goes down in the elevator and goes outside.
安娜拿着吉他走出公寓。她乘电梯下楼,走到了外面。

Anna is waiting outside the apartment building.
安娜在公寓楼外等着。

A young man is walking along the street. He is carrying a bunch of white roses.
一个年轻男子正沿着街道走来。他手里拿着一束白玫瑰。

Anna looks at them. ‘What beautiful roses!’ she thinks. Then she looks at the young man. ‘He’s nice too!’ she thinks.
安娜看着那些花。“多美的玫瑰啊!”她想。然后她看向那个年轻男子。“他也挺帅的!”她想。

The young man looks at her and smiles, and suddenly Anna’s face is pink.
年轻男子看着她笑了,安娜的脸突然红了。

Will is walking along the street, when he sees a young woman with a guitar.
威尔正走在街上,这时他看见了一个拿着吉他的年轻女子。

‘Hmm – a guitar!’ he thinks. ‘I must play my guitar more often.’
“嗯——一把吉他!”他想。“我得经常弹弹我的吉他了。”

Then he looks at the young woman. ‘She’s nice!’ he thinks, and he smiles at her.
然后他看向那个年轻女子。“她真不错!”他想,并对她笑了笑。

Anna’s face is pink, and she looks away. Will goes into Grandview Apartments.
安娜脸红了,移开了视线。威尔走进了格兰景公寓。

Just then, Vicki arrives in her car.
就在这时,薇基开车到了。

‘Hello, Anna,’ she says. ‘Are you OK? Your face is a bit pink. What’s the matter?’
“你好,安娜,”她说。“你还好吗?你的脸有点红。怎么了?”

‘Oh – er – nothing,’ says Anna.
“哦——呃——没什么,”安娜说。

They drive away. Vicki talks to Anna, but Anna is thinking about the young man.
她们开车离开了。薇基跟安娜说话,但安娜心里想着那个年轻男子。

‘Who is he?’ she thinks. ‘Does he live in the building? Who are the roses for? His wife? His girlfriend? His mother?’
“他是谁?”她想。“他住在这栋楼里吗?玫瑰是送给谁的?他的妻子?女朋友?还是母亲?”

‘Anna? Are you listening?’ says Vicki.
“安娜?你在听吗?”薇基问。

‘Oh! Sorry, Vicki,’ says Anna. Her face is red now.
“噢!抱歉,薇基,”安娜说。她的脸现在更红了。

‘What are you thinking about?’ says Vicki. ‘Tell me!’
“你在想什么?”薇基问。“告诉我!”

‘Well, I’m thinking about a bunch of roses,’ says Anna. ‘And a man.’
“嗯,我在想一束玫瑰,”安娜说。“还有一个男人。”

‘Aha! Who is he?’ says Vicki.
“啊哈!他是谁?”薇基问。

‘I don’t know,’ says Anna. ‘But I want to know,’ she thinks.
“我不知道,”安娜说。“但我想知道,”她心想。

Will arrives at his gran’s apartment.
威尔到了他奶奶的公寓。

‘Hello, dear,’ she says. ‘Oh, you are a good boy. You always bring me roses.’
“你好,亲爱的,”她说。“哦,你真是个好孩子。总是给我带玫瑰来。”

‘Of course,’ says Will.
“当然,”威尔说。

Gran makes Will some coffee. She asks him a question, but Will does not answer.
奶奶给威尔煮了些咖啡。她问了他一个问题,但威尔没有回答。

‘Will, are you listening? You’re thinking about something, aren’t you? What is it?’
“威尔,你在听吗?你在想心事,对不对?是什么事?”

‘Oh – sorry, Gran. It’s – it’s not important.’
“哦——对不起,奶奶。这——这不重要。”

Later, Will says goodbye to his gran. Then he gets into his car and drives away.
后来,威尔跟奶奶道别。然后他上车开走了。

In the car he thinks about the young woman with the guitar.
在车里,他想起了那个拿吉他的年轻女子。

‘Where does she live?’ he thinks. ‘Does she live in one of the apartments? Or has she got a friend there? How can I meet her? Who is she?’
“她住在哪里?”他想。“她住在其中一间公寓里吗?还是她有朋友住在那里?我怎么才能认识她?她是谁?”

Five minutes later, Anna and Vicki arrive outside the apartment building.
五分钟后,安娜和薇基回到了公寓楼外。

‘Goodnight, Vicki,’ says Anna.
“晚安,薇基,”安娜说。

‘Quick – go inside,’ says Vicki. ‘Just think – you walk out of the elevator, and there is a young man with a bunch of roses. And he says—’
“快——进去吧,”薇基说。“想想看——你走出电梯,那里有个拿着一束玫瑰的年轻男子。然后他说——”

‘Oh be quiet,’ laughs Anna. ‘See you tomorrow.’
“噢,别说了,”安娜笑道。“明天见。”

2 Pink roses
2 粉玫瑰

It’s September. Will is visiting his gran again.
九月了。威尔又来看望奶奶。

‘It’s a lovely day, Will,’ she says. ‘Let’s have our coffee on the balcony.’
“今天天气真好,威尔,”她说。“我们去阳台喝咖啡吧。”

Will and his gran are sitting on the balcony in the sun, when suddenly Will hears a guitar.
威尔和奶奶坐在阳台上晒太阳,突然威尔听到了吉他声。

‘Listen!’ he says. ‘That’s a guitar. Where’s it coming from?’ He stands up and looks around, but he cannot see the guitar.
“听!”他说。“那是吉他声。从哪儿传来的?”他站起来四处张望,但看不到吉他在哪。

‘Excuse me, Gran,’ he says. ‘I – er – back soon!’ And he runs out of the apartment.
“失陪一下,奶奶,”他说。“我——呃——马上回来!”然后他跑出了公寓。

Will runs along the corridor. Where is the guitar? And who is playing it?
威尔沿着走廊跑去。吉他在哪?又是谁在弹?

He stops outside an apartment and listens. Nothing.
他在一间公寓门外停下倾听。什么声音也没有。

‘Perhaps it’s outside,’ he thinks. ‘Perhaps she’s on her balcony.’
“也许在外面,”他想。“也许她在自己的阳台上。”

So he goes down in the elevator and goes outside.
于是他乘电梯下楼,走到了外面。

Upstairs, Anna takes her guitar and goes inside. She closes the door to the balcony. ‘That’s it for today,’ she thinks.
楼上,安娜收起吉他走进屋里。她关上了通往阳台的门。“今天就弹到这儿吧,”她想。

Will looks at all the balconies, but he cannot see or hear a guitar.
威尔看了看所有的阳台,但既看不到也听不到吉他的动静。

He goes back to his gran’s apartment.
他回到了奶奶的公寓。

‘Are you all right, dear?’ she says.
“你没事吧,亲爱的?”她问。

‘Yes thanks, Gran,’ says Will. ‘It’s just – oh, it’s not important. Well, it is important, but…’
“没事,谢谢奶奶,”威尔说。“只是——哦,这不重要。好吧,其实挺重要的,但是……”

And Will tells Gran about the girl with the guitar.
于是威尔告诉了奶奶那个弹吉他的女孩的事。

A week later, Anna is coming home. She can see a young man near the apartment building, and he is carrying a bunch of roses – pink roses today. But he is not looking, and he does not see her.
一周后,安娜回家时看到公寓楼附近有个年轻男子,手里拿着一束玫瑰——今天是粉玫瑰。但他没在看路,所以没看见她。

Anna walks more quickly. But when she gets to the building, there is nobody there.
安娜加快了脚步。但当她走到楼前时,那里已经没人了。

She gets into the elevator. There is nobody in the elevator, but she can smell roses – beautiful pink roses.
她走进电梯。电梯里空无一人,但她能闻到玫瑰花香——美丽的粉玫瑰。

One day Anna comes home and finds Gran at the door of the building with a lot of bags.
一天安娜回家时,发现奶奶提着很多袋子站在楼门口。

‘Oh, can I help you?’ she says. ‘Can I carry something?’
“噢,需要帮忙吗?”她说。“我能帮您提点东西吗?”

‘Thank you very much,’ says Gran.
“非常感谢,”奶奶说。

At the apartment, Gran says, ‘Come in, dear. Would you like some coffee?’
到了公寓,奶奶说:“进来吧,亲爱的。想喝杯咖啡吗?”

‘Oh – that’s very nice of you,’ says Anna. ‘I’m new here, and I don’t know anybody in the building.’
“噢——您真是太好了,”安娜说。“我刚搬来,这栋楼里一个人也不认识。”

‘What do you do?’ asks Gran.
“你是做什么的?”奶奶问。

‘I’m a music student,’ says Anna.
“我是学音乐的,”安娜说。

Gran brings some coffee into the room.
奶奶端来了咖啡。

‘These are lovely apartments, aren’t they?’ says Anna.
“这些公寓真不错,是吧?”安娜说。

‘Oh yes,’ says Gran. ‘I like it here very much.’ She tells Anna about her apartment, and about Charlton. Later Anna gets up.
“哦是的,”奶奶说。“我非常喜欢这里。”她跟安娜聊了她的公寓和查尔顿这个地方。过了一会儿,安娜站起身来。

‘I must go now,’ she says. ‘Thank you for the coffee.’
“我得走了,”她说。“谢谢您的咖啡。”

‘Goodbye, dear,’ says Gran, and Anna goes out.
“再见,亲爱的,”奶奶说,安娜便离开了。

‘What a nice girl,’ Gran thinks. ‘But – just a minute. A music student – perhaps she’s the girl with the guitar! I can ask her over one day when Will comes. No I can’t – I don’t know the number of her apartment!’
“多好的姑娘啊,”奶奶想。“但是——等一下。学音乐的——也许她就是那个弹吉他的女孩!等威尔来的时候我可以请她过来玩。不行——我不知道她住几号房!”

Later that week Vicki talks to Anna. ‘I’m having a party on Saturday,’ she says. ‘Can you come?’
那周晚些时候,薇基跟安娜说:“周六我要办个派对,你能来吗?”

‘Yes, of course!’ says Anna. ‘Your parties are always wonderful.’
“当然能!”安娜说。“你的派对总是很棒。”

Vicki calls her brother. ‘Come to my party on Saturday, James,’ she says, ‘and bring some friends.’
薇基给她哥哥打了电话。“周六来参加我的派对吧,詹姆斯,”她说,“再带几个朋友一起来。”

On Saturday, James and his friends arrive at Vicki’s house.
周六,詹姆斯和他的朋友们到了薇基家。

‘Hi, Vicki,’ says James. ‘Meet my friends. This is Tom, and Daniel – and Will.’
“嗨,薇基,”詹姆斯说。“介绍一下我的朋友。这是汤姆,这是丹尼尔——还有威尔。”

Just then, Vicki’s phone rings.
就在这时,薇基的电话响了。

‘I’m sorry, Vicki,’ says Anna. ‘I can’t come to your party, because I’m not feeling well.’
“对不起,薇基,”安娜说。“我去不了你的派对了,因为我不太舒服。”

‘Oh Anna! I’m sorry, too,’ says Vicki. ‘Well, stay in bed, and get better soon.’
“噢,安娜!我也很遗憾,”薇基说。“好好卧床休息,快点好起来。”

Vicki’s party is wonderful. Will meets Natalie, and Jane, and Katie. But he does not meet Anna.
薇基的派对很棒。威尔认识了娜塔莉、简和凯蒂。但他没见到安娜。

3 Red roses
3 红玫瑰

Now it’s October. Will visits his gran, but he does not see Anna. He walks along the corridor, but he does not hear a guitar.
现在是十月了。威尔去看望奶奶,但没有见到安娜。他走过走廊,也没有听到吉他声。

‘Where is she?’ he thinks.
“她在哪儿呢?”他想。

Anna visits her family for a week, then she comes back to her apartment. She looks for Will, but she does not see him.
安娜回家探亲了一周,然后回到公寓。她寻找威尔,但没有看到他。

‘There are lots of men!’ says Vicki, but Anna cannot forget Will.
“男人多得是!”薇基说,但安娜忘不了威尔。

Then Gran goes to hospital for two weeks. One day Will visits her there.
后来奶奶住院住了两周。有一天威尔去医院看她。

‘How are you today, Gran?’ he asks.
“奶奶,今天感觉怎么样?”他问。

‘Very well thank you, dear. I’m going home on Friday.’
“很好,谢谢你,亲爱的。我周五就出院回家。”

‘That’s good,’ says Will. ‘Perhaps I can get some things for you on Thursday and take them to the apartment.’
“那太好了,”威尔说。“也许我周四可以帮你买些东西带到公寓去。”

‘That’s very nice of you, Will,’ says Gran.
“你真是太贴心了,威尔,”奶奶说。

After work on Thursday Will goes to the shops and gets some things for Gran. He gets some roses, too, and he puts everything in his car.
周四下班后,威尔去商店给奶奶买了些东西。他还买了些玫瑰,把所有东西都放进了车里。

Suddenly it begins to rain. Will is getting into his car when he sees his friend Tom.
突然下起了雨。威尔正要上车时,看到了他的朋友汤姆。

‘Where are you going, Tom?’ says Will.
“你要去哪儿,汤姆?”威尔问。

‘Home – to Eastfield.’
“回家——去伊斯特菲尔德。”

‘I’m going to my gran’s apartment in Charlton, so I can take you to Eastfield first.’
“我要去查尔顿我奶奶的公寓,所以我可以先送你去伊斯特菲尔德。”

‘Can you take my friend Anna, too? She’s going to Charlton.’
“你能顺便载一下我的朋友安娜吗?她也要去查尔顿。”

‘Yes of course,’ says Will.
“当然可以,”威尔说。

Tom and Anna get into Will’s car.
汤姆和安娜上了威尔的车。

‘Thanks, Will,’ says Tom. ‘It’s not a very nice night!’
“谢了,威尔,”汤姆说。“今晚天气真不好!”

‘That’s all right, Tom,’ says Will. He drives Tom home, and then he says to Anna, ‘Where are you going, Anna?’
“没关系,汤姆,”威尔说。他把汤姆送回家后,问安娜:“你要去哪儿,安娜?”

‘I’m going to Grandview Apartments. It’s on Park Road.’
“我要去格兰景公寓。在公园路上。”

‘That’s funny,’ says Will. ‘I’m going to Grandview Apartments.’
“真巧,”威尔说。“我也要去格兰景公寓。”

‘Is it her?’ he thinks. ‘The girl with the guitar?’ He looks in the mirror, but he can’t see her face very well.
“是她吗?”他想。“那个弹吉他的女孩?”他看了看后视镜,但看不太清她的脸。

‘Can I smell roses?’ thinks Anna. ‘Is it him – the man with the roses?’
“我能闻到玫瑰花香吗?”安娜想。“是他吗——那个拿玫瑰的男人?”

Then they are outside the apartment building. They get out of the car, and then they begin to talk at the same time.
然后他们到了公寓楼外。他们下了车,接着同时开口说话。

‘Oh! It’s you!’
“噢!是你!”

‘You play the guitar!’
“你就是弹吉他的那个!”

‘And you come here with roses!’
“而你就是带玫瑰来的那个!”

‘Yes – I always bring roses to my gran.’
“是的——我总是给我奶奶带玫瑰。”

‘His gran!’ thinks Anna. ‘Not his wife, not his girlfriend.’
“是他的奶奶!”安娜想。“不是妻子,也不是女朋友。”

‘She’s coming home from hospital tomorrow, so I’m taking some things to her apartment,’ says Will.
“她明天出院回家,所以我带些东西去她的公寓,”威尔说。

‘Can I… would you like some help?’ says Anna.
“我能……你需要帮忙吗?”安娜问。

‘Yes please!’ says Will.
“好啊,拜托了!”威尔说。

They go up to Gran’s apartment. Will puts things away, and Anna puts the roses in a vase.
他们上楼来到奶奶的公寓。威尔把东西收好,安娜把玫瑰插进花瓶里。

‘There – aren’t they lovely!’ she says. ‘I like roses. They smell wonderful.’
“看——它们多美啊!”她说。“我喜欢玫瑰。闻起来真香。”

‘Thank you for your help, Anna,’ says Will.
“谢谢你的帮忙,安娜,”威尔说。

‘That’s all right,’ Anna says. ‘Look – would you like to come up to my apartment for coffee?’
“不客气,”安娜说。“那个——你想去我的公寓喝杯咖啡吗?”

‘I’d like to very much,’ says Will.
“非常乐意,”威尔说。

He smiles, and she smiles. They go upstairs.
他笑了,她也笑了。他们一起上了楼。

On Friday Gran comes home. Will goes to see her. He is carrying a bunch of red roses.
周五奶奶回家了。威尔去看她。他手里拿着一束红玫瑰。

‘That’s a big smile, Will!’ says Gran. ‘Red roses – don’t they say “Red roses for love”?’
“你笑得可真开心啊,威尔!”奶奶说。“红玫瑰——人们不是说‘红玫瑰代表爱情’吗?”

‘Well, Gran…’ says Will.
“嗯,奶奶……”威尔说。

Ten minutes later, Will comes out of Gran’s apartment and goes upstairs. He’s carrying a bunch of red roses.
十分钟后,威尔从奶奶的公寓出来上了楼。他手里拿着一束红玫瑰。

Gran goes out onto the balcony and sits down in the sun. She can hear a guitar. Then it stops.
奶奶走到阳台上,在阳光下坐下。她能听到吉他声。然后琴声停了。

Gran hears Will’s voice, and Anna’s voice. Then Anna laughs.
奶奶听到了威尔的声音,还有安娜的声音。接着安娜笑了起来。

Gran smiles. She can smell roses – beautiful red roses, in the sun, outside on a balcony.
奶奶笑了。她能闻到玫瑰花香——美丽的红玫瑰,沐浴在阳光下,在户外的阳台上芬芳四溢。


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号