The Girl with Green Eyes
绿眼女子
Greg is a porter at the Shepton Hotel in New York. After work, he always goes for a coffee across the street. A girl is sitting in the coffee shop, near the window.
格雷格是纽约谢普顿酒店的一名行李员。下班后,他总去街对面喝杯咖啡。咖啡馆里,一个女孩正坐在窗边。
‘It’s her again!’ thinks Greg. ‘She’s here every afternoon. I’m going to say hello.’
“又是她!”格雷格心想,“她每天下午都在这儿。我要去打个招呼。”
Greg goes into the coffee shop and gets a coffee. Then he goes across to the girl’s table.
格雷格走进咖啡馆买了一杯咖啡,然后走到女孩的桌旁。
‘Hi!’ he says. ‘I’m Greg. Can I sit with you?’
“嗨!”他说,“我叫格雷格。能和你拼个桌吗?”
‘OK,’ she says. ‘I’m Cassie.’
“好啊,”她说,“我叫卡西。”
‘I come here for a coffee every day after work,’ says Greg. ‘I’m a porter at the Shepton Hotel.’ He smiles. ‘You have beautiful green eyes.’
“我每天下班后都来这里喝咖啡,”格雷格说,“我是谢普顿酒店的行李员。”他微笑着说,“你的绿眼睛真漂亮。”
‘Have I?’ she says. She doesn’t smile.
“是吗?”她说,脸上却没有笑容。
‘Is something wrong, Cassie?’ he asks. ‘You don’t look very happy.’
“出什么事了吗,卡西?”他问,“你看起来不太开心。”
‘It – it’s nothing,’ she says.
“没……没什么,”她说。
‘Tell me,’ says Greg. ‘Maybe I can help?’
“告诉我吧,”格雷格说,“也许我能帮上忙?”
‘Well…’ she begins.
“嗯……”她开口了。
‘Go on,’ says Greg.
“说吧,”格雷格鼓励道。
‘My stepfather is staying at the Shepton Hotel,’ she says. ‘He has my sketch books. I’m an artist. When I ask him to give them to me he says, “No. I want you to come back home to Boston.” But I don’t want to go back to Boston. He’s not nice.’
“我的继父住在谢普顿酒店,”她说,“他拿走了我的素描本。我是个画家。我让他还给我,他却说:‘不行。我要你跟我回波士顿老家。’但我不想回波士顿。他这个人很不好。”
‘How long is he going to be at the hotel?’ asks Greg.
“他还要在酒店住多久?”格雷格问。
‘Two more days,’ says Cassie. ‘He’s in room 724.’
“还有两天,”卡西说,“他住在724房间。”
‘Maybe I can get the sketch books for you,’ says Greg. ‘Maybe I can get into his room.’
“也许我能帮你拿回素描本,”格雷格说,“说不定我能进他的房间。”
‘Can you?’ she says.
“真的吗?”她说。
‘Meet me here tomorrow afternoon at 4.30,’ says Greg.
“明天下午四点半在这里见我,”格雷格说。
‘OK, thank you!’ says Cassie. ‘Thank you very much.’ She looks at her watch. ‘I’ve got to go now. See you tomorrow.’
“好的,谢谢!”卡西说,“太感谢你了。”她看了看手表,“我得走了。明天见。”
When Cassie gets back to her hotel room, she makes a telephone call.
卡西回到自己的酒店房间后,打了一通电话。
‘Hello,’ she says. ‘It’s me. It’s OK, the boy’s going to do it… Yes, I’m going to get them from him tomorrow afternoon… OK, I can meet you there the morning after, at 10 am. Don’t forget to bring the money – two thousand dollars.’
“喂,”她说,“是我。没问题,那个男生会去做的……对,我明天下午就能从他那儿拿到东西……好,后天上午十点我们在那儿碰面。别忘了带钱——两千美元。”
Next morning, Greg arrives at work early. He goes to find room 724.
第二天一早,格雷格提前到了工作岗位。他去找724房间。
‘I have to wait for Cassie’s stepfather to go out,’ he thinks. ‘I don’t know his name, but it doesn’t matter.’
“我得等卡西的继父出门才行,”他想,“虽然我不知道他叫什么,但这不重要。”
Greg watches the door of room 724. He sees the girl come to clean the rooms.
格雷格盯着724房间的房门。他看到保洁员过来打扫房间。
Some minutes later, a man comes out of room 724.
几分钟后,一个男人从724房间走了出来。
‘That must be Cassie’s stepfather!’ thinks Greg.
“那肯定就是卡西的继父了!”格雷格心想。
He waits for the man to leave, and for the cleaning girl to go into room 724.
他等那个男人离开,又等保洁员进了724房间。
‘I need to look in the room,’ he thinks.
“我得进去找找看,”他想。
Greg waits for the girl to leave the bedroom, then he goes into the room and begins to look for the sketch books.
格雷格等保洁员离开卧室后,溜进房间开始寻找素描本。
‘I must be quick,’ he thinks. ‘Where are they?’
“动作得快,”他想,“它们在哪儿呢?”
Suddenly, Greg sees the sketch books by the bed.
突然,格雷格在床边发现了素描本。
‘Got them!’ he thinks. He begins to look at the pictures. ‘Wow! Cassie is a great artist! These are good!’
“找到了!”他想。他翻开看了看画,“哇!卡西真是个天才画家!画得太棒了!”
Greg is leaving the room when he hears the cleaning girl call out to him.
格雷格正要离开房间时,听到保洁员朝他大喊。
‘Hey!’ she says. ‘What are you doing? Come back!’
“喂!”她喊道,“你在干什么?回来!”
Greg does not stop.
格雷格没有停下脚步。
Greg finishes work that afternoon and leaves the hotel through a door in the next street. When he gets near the front of the hotel, he sees the man from room 724.
那天下午下班后,格雷格从隔壁街的侧门离开了酒店。当他走到酒店正门附近时,看到了724房间的那个男人。
‘That’s him again!’ thinks Greg. ‘That’s Cassie’s stepfather.’
“又是他!”格雷格心想,“那就是卡西的继父。”
Greg waits for the man to go into the hotel, then he goes to the coffee shop.
格雷格等那个男人走进酒店后,便去了咖啡馆。
Cassie is at the same table in the coffee shop.
卡西还坐在咖啡馆的老位置上。
Greg gets a coffee and goes to sit with her.
格雷格买了杯咖啡,走过去和她坐在一起。
‘I have them,’ he says, and he puts the sketch books on the table.
“我拿到了,”他说着把素描本放在了桌上。
‘That’s great!’ says Cassie. ‘How can I thank you, Greg?’
“太好了!”卡西说,“我该怎么谢你呢,格雷格?”
‘You can meet me later,’ he says. ‘After I go home and change out of my porter’s uniform.’
“晚点见个面吧,”他说,“等我回家换掉这身行李员制服之后。”
‘I’m sorry, Greg,’ says Cassie. ‘I can’t tonight. Maybe tomorrow night.’
“抱歉,格雷格,”卡西说,“今晚不行。明晚可以吗?”
‘OK,’ says Greg. ‘Tomorrow night. We can get something to eat, first.’
“行,”格雷格说,“明晚。我们可以先去吃点东西。”
‘Yes, OK,’ says Cassie. ‘I have to go now, but meet me here tomorrow evening at six o’clock.’
“好的,没问题,”卡西说,“我现在得走了,明晚六点在这里见。”
Cassie gets up, ready to leave.
卡西起身准备离开。
‘Don’t forget your key,’ says Greg.
“别忘了你的钥匙,”格雷格提醒道。
‘Oh – er – thanks,’ says Cassie. She takes it from him quickly. ‘See you tomorrow.’
“哦……呃……谢谢,”卡西说着迅速接过钥匙,“明天见。”
Greg is finishing his coffee when he sees his friend, Mike.
格雷格快喝完咖啡时,碰到了他的朋友迈克。
‘You’re in trouble, Greg,’ says Mike. ‘Jake Russo’s sketch books are not in his room – room 724. And there are CCTV pictures of you coming from that room.’
“你惹麻烦了,格雷格,”迈克说,“杰克·鲁索的素描本不在他的724房间里了。而且监控拍到你从那个房间出来的画面。”
‘Wh – who is Jake Russo?’ asks Greg. Suddenly he’s not feeling very well.
“谁……谁是杰克·鲁索?”格雷格问道。他突然感觉很不舒服。
‘An artist,’ says Mike. ‘His pictures sell for thousands of dollars. And his sketch books sell for thousands, too.’
“一位画家,”迈克说,“他的画作能卖几千美元。他的素描本也价值连城。”
‘Do you have them?’ asks Mike.
“素描本在你手上吗?”迈克问。
‘No – er – a girl has them,’ says Greg.
“不……呃……在一个女孩手里,”格雷格说。
‘What girl?’ asks Mike.
“什么女孩?”迈克追问。
‘A girl with green eyes,’ says Greg. And he tells Mike about Cassie and her stepfather.
“一个长着绿眼睛的女孩,”格雷格回答。接着他把卡西和她继父的事告诉了迈克。
‘But it’s not true!’ says Mike, when Greg finishes speaking. ‘Jake Russo doesn’t have a wife or a stepdaughter. You have to find that girl and get the sketch books, Greg. And you have to do it before the police find you!’
“但这根本不是真的!”听完格雷格的讲述,迈克说道,“杰克·鲁索没有妻子,也没有继女。你必须找到那个女孩拿回素描本,格雷格。而且必须在警察抓到你之前办到!”
Greg walks home to his one-room apartment.
格雷格走回自己那间单身公寓。
‘How am I going to find her?’ he thinks. ‘She has Jake Russo’s sketch books now, so she’s not going to meet me again. Is she going to sell them for a lot of money?’
“我该怎么找到她?”他想,“她现在拿着杰克·鲁索的素描本,肯定不会再跟我见面了。难道她打算把它们高价卖掉?”
There is a police car in the street, next to Greg’s apartment.
格雷格公寓旁的街道上停着一辆警车。
‘Oh, no!’ he thinks. ‘They’re waiting for me. I can’t get into my apartment now.’
“糟了!”他想,“他们在等我。我现在不能回公寓了。”
That night, Greg sleeps on a train in the subway. But early the next morning…
那天晚上,格雷格在地铁车厢里过了一夜。但第二天一大早……
‘Hey, you!’ says a man. He’s the subway cleaner. ‘Get up! You can’t sleep here all day!’
“喂,说你呢!”一个男人喊道。他是地铁清洁工,“起来!你不能整天睡在这儿!”
‘Sorry,’ says Greg.
“对不起,”格雷格说。
People are arriving to get their trains now. One of them stops and looks at a photograph in his newspaper – and then at Greg.
此时乘客们陆续进站乘车。其中一人停下来看了看报纸上的照片,又看了看格雷格。
‘It’s him,’ thinks the man. ‘It’s the young man in the newspaper photograph. The police are looking for him.’
“就是他,”那人心想,“他就是报纸照片上的那个年轻人。警察正在通缉他。”
Suddenly, Greg sees the man looking at him. And he sees his picture on the front of the man’s newspaper.
突然,格雷格发现那个人正盯着自己。他还看到自己的照片就印在那人手中报纸的头版上。
‘I have to get out of here quickly!’ he thinks.
“我得赶紧离开这儿!”他想。
The man with the newspaper finds a policeman.
拿着报纸的那个人找到了一名警察。
‘It’s him!’ he tells the policeman. ‘The hotel porter!’
“就是他!”他告诉警察,“那个酒店行李员!”
‘Hey, you!’ the policeman calls to Greg.
“喂,站住!”警察朝格雷格喊道。
Greg runs.
格雷格拔腿就跑。
‘Stop!’ calls the policeman.
“别跑!”警察大喝一声。
Greg doesn’t stop.
格雷格没有停下。
‘I have to get out of this uniform,’ thinks Greg. ‘People know I’m the porter. Maybe Mike can give me something different to wear.’
“我得把这身制服脱了,”格雷格心想,“大家都认出我是行李员了。也许迈克能借我套别的衣服穿。”
When he gets to Mike’s apartment, Mike opens the door. ‘I need something to wear,’ Greg tells him. ‘I can’t go back to my apartment. My picture’s in the newspaper, and —’
他跑到迈克的公寓,迈克开了门。“我需要找身衣服穿,”格雷格对他说,“我回不去公寓了。我的照片都登报了,而且——”
‘Yes, I know,’ says Mike. ‘It’s OK. Come in.’
“我知道,”迈克说,“没事。进来吧。”
‘Where’s the girl?’ asks Mike. ‘Do you know?’
“那个女孩在哪儿?”迈克问,“你知道吗?”
‘No,’ says Greg.
“不知道,”格雷格回答。
‘What can you remember about her?’ says Mike. ‘There must be something to help you find her.’
“关于她你还记得什么?”迈克说,“肯定有什么线索能帮你找到她。”
‘Yes!’ Greg says, suddenly. ‘Her key! A key to a room in the Dolphin Hotel! It’s a small, cheap hotel near 42nd Street. She must be staying there. What’s the time?’
“对了!”格雷格突然说道,“她的钥匙!一把海豚酒店的房间钥匙!那是42街附近一家便宜的小旅馆。她肯定住在那里。现在几点了?”
‘Nearly nine o’clock,’ says Mike.
“快九点了,”迈克说。
‘Maybe she’s there now,’ says Greg. ‘I have to go! Thanks, Mike.’
“说不定她现在人就在那儿,”格雷格说,“我得走了!谢了,迈克。”
Twenty minutes later, Greg is near the Dolphin Hotel.
二十分钟后,格雷格来到了海豚酒店附近。
‘Am I too late?’ he thinks.
“我来晚了吗?”他想。
Suddenly, Greg sees Cassie come out of the hotel.
突然,格雷格看到卡西从酒店里走了出来。
‘Cassie!’ he calls. ‘Wait! I have to talk to you!’
“卡西!”他喊道,“等等!我有话要跟你说!”
Cassie sees him, but she doesn’t stop. There is a car waiting for her. She says something to the driver and gets into it quickly.
卡西看到了他,但没有停下脚步。一辆车正在等她。她对司机说了句什么,便迅速钻进了车里。
‘Oh, no!’ says Greg.
“糟了!”格雷格叫道。
‘Pier 83,’ says an old man in the street.
“83号码头,”街边的一位老人说道。
Greg looks at him. ‘What?’
格雷格看着他:“什么?”
‘The girl is going to Pier 83, West 42nd Street, for the Circle Line boat,’ says the old man.
“那个女孩要去西42街的83号码头坐环线游船,”老人解释道。
Greg smiles. ‘Thanks!’ he says. And he begins to run.
格雷格笑了。“多谢!”他说完便开始狂奔。
Greg runs all the way to Pier 83. People are getting on to the boat, and he gets a ticket.
格雷格一路跑到了83号码头。人们正在登船,他也买了一张票。
On the boat, Greg looks for Cassie. But a woman with a newspaper is looking at him.
在船上,格雷格四处寻找卡西。但一位拿着报纸的女士注意到了他。
‘It’s the young man in the picture!’ she tells the man with her. ‘Call the police, Eddie.’
“他就是照片上那个年轻人!”她对身边的男人说,“埃迪,快报警。”
The man gets his phone and calls the police.
男人掏出手机拨打了报警电话。
Some time later, Greg sees Cassie. She is talking to a man. But Greg does not see two policemen get on the boat.
过了一会儿,格雷格发现了卡西。她正在和一个男人说话。但格雷格没注意到两名警察已经登上了船。
They quickly find Greg. ‘Where are Jake Russo’s sketch books?’ the first policeman asks him.
他们很快找到了格雷格。“杰克·鲁索的素描本在哪儿?”第一名警察质问他。
‘I don’t have them!’ says Greg. ‘You don’t want me! You want her! She has the sketch books.’
“不在我这儿!”格雷格说,“你们要找的不是我!是她!素描本在她手上。”
‘Hey, look! He’s right,’ says the second policeman.
“嘿,你看!他说得没错,”第二名警察说道。
The two policemen move quickly to Cassie and the man.
两名警察迅速冲向卡西和那个男人。
‘I don’t understand,’ says Cassie. ‘How…?’
“我不明白,”卡西说,“怎么会……?”
‘The two of you are coming with us,’ says one of the policemen. ‘You’re in trouble.’
“你们俩得跟我们走一趟,”其中一名警察说,“你们被捕了。”
Later, Greg and a policeman take the sketch books back to the hotel. Jake Russo is very happy to see them again.
后来,格雷格和一名警察将素描本送回了酒店。杰克·鲁索失而复得,非常高兴。
‘I’m sorry, Mr Russo,’ says Greg, and tells him everything.
“对不起,鲁索先生,”格雷格说着向他坦白了一切。
‘It’s OK,’ says the artist, smiling. ‘But stay away from girls with beautiful green eyes!’
“没关系,”这位画家笑着说,“不过以后可要离那些长着漂亮绿眼睛的女孩远一点!”
0 条评论