How did Mary die?
玛丽是怎么死的?
The jury, the lawyers, and the clerk of the court come in and sit down.
陪审团成员、律师们和法庭书记员走进来坐下。
Then Simon Clark and Dan Smith come in with the two policemen.
然后西蒙·克拉克和丹·史密斯在两名警员的戒护下走了进来。
The judge comes in and everyone stands up.
法官走进来,所有人起立。
The judge walks to his chair, looks at everybody slowly, and then sits down.
法官走向他的椅子,缓缓地看着每个人,然后坐下。
The people and the lawyers sit down.
众人和律师坐下。
Simon and Dan, the two policemen, and the clerk are standing up.
西蒙、丹、两名警员和法庭书记员仍然站着。
CLERK: Simon Clark, you are here because of the murder of Mary Jones. Did you kill her, or not?
书记员:西蒙·克拉克,你因玛丽·琼斯谋杀案而出庭。你有没有杀她?
SIMON: No, sir. I didn’t.
西蒙:没有,先生。我没有。
CLERK: And you, Dan Smith? Did you kill Mary Jones?
书记员:那你呢,丹·史密斯?是你杀了玛丽·琼斯吗?
DAN: No, sir. I didn’t. I’m not guilty!
丹:没有,先生。我没有。我是清白的!
SIMON: We didn’t kill her!
西蒙:我们没有杀她!
CLERK: All right. Sit down. (They sit.)
书记员:好。坐下。(他们坐下来。)
MS WILLS: (Standing up) My lord, I am Helen Wills, the lawyer for the police. David Carter is the lawyer for Simon Clark and Dan Smith.
威尔斯女士:(站起来)法官大人,我是警方律师海伦·威尔斯。戴维·卡特是西蒙·克拉克和丹·史密斯的律师。
JUDGE: Very good. Please begin, Ms Wills.
法官:很好。请开始吧,威尔斯女士。
MS WILLS: Thank you, my lord. Members of the jury, look at the photo, please.
威尔斯女士:谢谢您,法官大人。各位陪审团成员,请看这张照片。
There is a girl in the photo with a young man. She is Mary Jones, and he is Jim Wilson, Mary’s boyfriend.
照片上是一个女孩儿和一个年轻男子。她是玛丽·琼斯,他是玛丽的男朋友吉姆·威尔逊。
(The jury look at the photo.)
(陪审团成员看照片。)
JUDGE: Ms Wills, I haven’t got that photo.
法官:威尔斯女士,我还没拿到那张照片。
CLERK: Oh, I’m sorry, my lord. Here you are.
书记员:哦,抱歉,法官大人。给您。
He gives the judge a photo.
他递给法官一张照片。
JUDGE: Thank you. Please go on, Ms Wills.
法官:谢谢。请继续,威尔斯女士。
MS WILLS: On 12 August, Mary was in a disco in Trenton with Jim.
威尔斯女士:8月12日,玛丽和吉姆在托伦顿的一家迪斯科舞厅里。
At midnight, she started to walk home along the road by the sea, and someone killed her.
午夜时,她沿着海边的那条路独自往家走,然后有人杀了她。
Now, please look at the second photo.
现在,请看第二张照片。
JUDGE: Excuse me, Ms Wills. (He holds up a photo.) This photo? The photo of a dead girl?
法官:打断一下,威尔斯女士。(他举起一张照片。)这张照片?一个死亡女孩儿的照片?
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord, that’s right. I’m sorry, it isn’t a very nice photo.
威尔斯女士:是的,法官大人,没错。抱歉,这张照片不太好。
But that is Mary Jones, too. There is blood on her head and face.
但是这也是玛丽·琼斯。她的头上和脸上都有血。
JUDGE: Yes, I see. Did someone find her there, that night?
法官:是,我清楚了。那晚有人在那儿发现她吗?
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord. Jim Wilson found her body on the beach near the road at about half past twelve.
威尔斯女士:有,法官大人,吉姆·威尔逊在大概十二点半的时候在靠路边的沙滩上发现了她的尸体。
He tried to help her, but he couldn’t. Mary Jones was dead.
他想要救她,但是他无能为力。玛丽·琼斯已经死了。
JUDGE: How did she die, Ms Wills?
法官:她是怎么死的,威尔斯女士?
MS WILLS: She died because someone hit her four times on the head with a spanner, my lord.
威尔斯女士:有人用扳手击打了她头部四次,法官大人。
Clerk, can I have the spanner, please?
书记员,我可以拿一下那个扳手吗?
CLERK: Yes, here you are. (He gives her a spanner.)
书记员:可以,给你。(他递给她一个扳手。)
MS WILLS: Thank you. It was this spanner, members of the jury.
威尔斯女士:谢谢。就是这个扳手,各位陪审团成员。
Look at it carefully. This spanner has Mary’s blood and hair on it.
请仔细看。这个扳手上沾有玛丽的血和头发。
Can you see that?
能看到吗?
She shows the spanner to the jury.
她把扳手展示给陪审团看。
JUDGE: Can I see that, please, Ms Wills?
法官:我能看看吗,威尔斯女士?
MS WILLS: Yes, of course, my lord. (She gives it to him.)
威尔斯女士:当然可以,法官大人。(她把扳手递给他。)
JUDGE: Thank you. But who hit her with the spanner, Ms Wills?
法官:谢谢。但是是谁用这个扳手打了她呢,威尔斯女士?
That’s the important question, you know. Who killed her?
这是关键问题,你知道。谁杀了她?
MS WILLS: Who killed her? It was Simon Clark and Dan Smith, I think.
威尔斯女士:谁杀了她?我认为是西蒙·克拉克和丹·史密斯。
JUDGE: Why do you think that? Tell the jury, please.
法官:你为什么这么认为?请给陪审团讲一讲。
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord. They were in the disco that evening.
威尔斯女士:好的,法官大人。他们那晚在那家迪斯科舞厅。
They went there in a car, a white Ford Fiesta.
他们是开车去的,开了一辆白色的福特嘉年华。
It wasn’t their car – they stole it. They often steal cars.
那不是他们的车——是他们偷来的。他们经常偷车。
JUDGE: I see. And how long were they there?
法官:我明白了。他们在那儿待了多久?
MS WILLS: They were in the disco for two hours.
威尔斯女士:他们在迪斯科舞厅待了两个小时。
At about ten o’clock, Dan danced with Mary Jones. After that, Simon Clark danced with her.
差不多十点的时候,丹和玛丽·琼斯跳了舞。之后,西蒙·克拉克又和她跳了舞。
JUDGE: Excuse me, Ms Wills. Did Jim see this?
法官:打断一下,威尔斯女士。吉姆看到这些了吗?
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord, he did. He was very angry, and he hit Simon.
威尔斯女士:是的,法官大人,他看到了。他非常生气,还打了西蒙。
Then he talked to Mary for half an hour, and after that Mary started to walk home alone.
然后他和玛丽谈了半个小时,之后玛丽就一个人往家走了。
JUDGE: And Jim stayed in the disco?
法官:那吉姆还留在迪斯科舞厅里?
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord, he did. But Dan and Simon didn’t.
威尔斯女士:是的,法官大人,他留下来了。但是丹和西蒙没有。
They went out, ten minutes after Mary. They drove away in the Fiesta.
他们出去了,就在玛丽走后十分钟。他们开着那辆嘉年华走了。
JUDGE: Yes. But did anyone see them kill her? That’s important.
法官:好的。可是有人看见他们杀了她吗?这很重要。
MS WILLS: No, no one saw them kill her. But the police found the tyre marks of a Ford Fiesta near Mary’s body.
威尔斯女士:没有,没人看到他们杀了她。但是警察在玛丽尸体旁发现了一辆福特嘉年华车的轮胎印。
And later, they found Dan and Simon in a white Ford Fiesta in Bilsford.
并且后来他们在比尔斯福德发现了在白色嘉年华车里的丹和西蒙。
JUDGE: Where is Bilsford, Ms Wills?
法官:比尔斯福德在哪儿,威尔斯女士?
MS WILLS: Ten kilometres from Trenton, my lord.
威尔斯女士:离托伦顿有十公里,法官大人。
And in the car there was a spanner. This spanner, members of the jury!
并且车上有个扳手。就是这个扳手,陪审团的各位!
With Mary’s blood and hair on it! (She shows the spanner to the jury.)
上面沾着玛丽的血和头发!(她把扳手展示给陪审团看。)
JUDGE: Thank you. But who hit her with the spanner, Ms Wills?
法官:谢谢。但是是谁用这个扳手打了她呢,威尔斯女士?
That’s the important question, you know. Who killed her?
这是关键问题,你知道。谁杀了她?
MS WILLS: Who killed her? It was Simon Clark and Dan Smith, I think.
威尔斯女士:谁杀了她?我认为是西蒙·克拉克和丹·史密斯。
JUDGE: Why do you think that? Tell the jury, please.
法官:你为什么这么认为?请给陪审团讲一讲。
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord. They were in the disco that evening.
威尔斯女士:好的,法官大人。他们那晚在那家迪斯科舞厅。
They went there in a car, a white Ford Fiesta.
他们是开车去的,开了一辆白色的福特嘉年华。
It wasn’t their car – they stole it. They often steal cars.
那不是他们的车——是他们偷来的。他们经常偷车。
JUDGE: I see. And how long were they there?
法官:我明白了。他们在那儿待了多久?
MS WILLS: They were in the disco for two hours.
威尔斯女士:他们在迪斯科舞厅待了两个小时。
At about ten o’clock, Dan danced with Mary Jones. After that, Simon Clark danced with her.
差不多十点的时候,丹和玛丽·琼斯跳了舞。之后,西蒙·克拉克又和她跳了舞。
JUDGE: Excuse me, Ms Wills. Did Jim see this?
法官:打断一下,威尔斯女士。吉姆看到这些了吗?
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord, he did. He was very angry, and he hit Simon.
威尔斯女士:是的,法官大人,他看到了。他非常生气,还打了西蒙。
Then he talked to Mary for half an hour, and after that Mary started to walk home alone.
然后他和玛丽谈了半个小时,之后玛丽就一个人往家走了。
JUDGE: And Jim stayed in the disco?
法官:那吉姆还留在迪斯科舞厅里?
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord, he did. But Dan and Simon didn’t.
威尔斯女士:是的,法官大人,他留下来了。但是丹和西蒙没有。
They went out, ten minutes after Mary. They drove away in the Fiesta.
他们出去了,就在玛丽走后十分钟。他们开着那辆嘉年华走了。
JUDGE: Yes. But did anyone see them kill her? That’s important.
法官:好的。可是有人看见他们杀了她吗?这很重要。
MS WILLS: No, no one saw them kill her. But the police found the tyre marks of a Ford Fiesta near Mary’s body.
威尔斯女士:没有,没人看到他们杀了她。但是警察在玛丽尸体旁发现了一辆福特嘉年华车的轮胎印。
And later, they found Dan and Simon in a white Ford Fiesta in Bilsford.
并且后来他们在比尔斯福德发现了在白色嘉年华车里的丹和西蒙。
JUDGE: Where is Bilsford, Ms Wills?
法官:比尔斯福德在哪儿,威尔斯女士?
MS WILLS: Ten kilometres from Trenton, my lord.
威尔斯女士:离托伦顿有十公里,法官大人。
And in the car there was a spanner. This spanner, members of the jury!
并且车上有个扳手。就是这个扳手,陪审团的各位!
With Mary’s blood and hair on it! (She shows the spanner to the jury.)
上面沾着玛丽的血和头发!(她把扳手展示给陪审团看。)
JUDGE: I see. That’s very important. (He writes.)
法官:我明白了。这非常重要。(他记录着。)
MS WILLS: Yes, my lord. These two boys followed Mary from the disco in the white Fiesta.
威尔斯女士:是的,法官大人。这两个男孩儿从迪斯科舞厅出来后就开着白色嘉年华尾随玛丽。
They stopped the car, hit her on the head with this spanner, and drove away.
他们停下车,用这个扳手打她的头,然后开车离开。
DAN: (Standing up) It’s not true! We didn’t follow her! We didn’t go down that road! It’s not true!
丹:(站起来)这不是真的!我们没有尾随她!我们没走那条路!这不是真的!
JUDGE: Be quiet, young man! Sit down! You can talk later!
法官:安静,年轻人!坐下!你可以稍后再说!
MS WILLS: I call my first witness, PC Norton.
威尔斯女士:我要请出我的第一位证人,诺顿警员。
PC Norton goes to the witness box.
诺顿警员走向证人席。
CLERK: (Giving him a book) Take this book in your right hand and read what it says.
书记员:(递给他一本书)右手拿书,读出上面的话。
NORTON: I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
诺顿:我保证如实供述,毫无隐瞒。
MS WILLS: PC Norton, what happened on 12 August?
威尔斯女士:诺顿警员,8月12日发生了什么事?
NORTON: Well, at 12.47 a.m. someone telephoned the police and I went to the road by the beach in Trenton.
诺顿:嗯,午夜12点47分的时候有人打电话报了警,然后我赶到了托伦顿沙滩旁的那条路上。
I found a young woman’s body there, and a young man. His name was Jim Wilson.
我发现沙滩那儿有一具年轻女子的尸体,还有一个小伙子。他叫吉姆·威尔逊。
MS WILLS: I see. Did Jim call the police?
威尔斯女士:我明白了。是吉姆报的警吗?
NORTON: Yes, he did. He was Mary’s boyfriend, I think. He tried to help her, but she was dead.
诺顿:是的,是他。我想他是玛丽的男朋友。他想要救她,但是她已经死了。
MS WILLS: Where was the body?
威尔斯女士:尸体在哪儿?
NORTON: It was on the beach near the road. There were some tyre marks in the sand near the body.
诺顿:在靠路边的沙滩上。尸体附近的沙子上有轮胎印。
A car stopped there, and then went back towards Trenton, I think.
我想应该是有辆车在那儿停了一下,然后又开回托伦顿了。
MS WILLS: Thank you. Wait there, please, and answer Mr Carter’s questions. (She sits.)
威尔斯女士:谢谢。请稍等一下,然后回答卡特先生的问题。(她坐下来。)
GARTER: (Standing up) PC Norton, tell me some more about this boyfriend, Jim Wilson.
卡特:(站起来)诺顿警员,再跟我说说玛丽的男朋友吉姆·威尔逊。
He tried to help the dead girl, you say. Did he have blood on his shirt and trousers?
你说他想救这个死去的女孩儿。那他的衬衫和裤子上沾上血了吗?
NORTON: Yes, sir, he did. There was blood on his face and hands and on his shirt and trousers too.
诺顿:是的,先生,沾上了。他的脸上、手上沾上血了,衬衫和裤子上也沾到血了。
GARTER: Did you ask him about this?
卡特:你问他有关这些血的事了吗?
NORTON: Yes, sir. The blood was there because he tried to help her, he said.
诺顿:问了,先生。他说因为想要救她才沾上血的。
He sat in my car and started to cry. He loved her, he said.
他坐在我车里哭了起来。他说他爱她。
GARTER: I see. But why was Jim on the beach?
卡特:我明白了。但是吉姆为什么在沙滩上呢?
NORTON: He went for a walk after the disco, he said.
诺顿:他说他从迪斯科舞厅出来后去散步。
GARTER: I see. Thank you very much. (He sits down.)
卡特:我明白了。非常感谢。(他坐下来。)
JUDGE: PC Norton, one more question. Were there any cuts on Jim’s face or hands?
法官:诺顿警员,还有个问题。吉姆的脸上或手上有没有伤口?
NORTON: I don’t know, sir. There was blood on his face and hands, but it was Mary Jones’s blood, I think.
诺顿:我不知道,先生。他脸上和手上都有血,但是我想那是玛丽·琼斯的血。
JUDGE: Thank you. That’s all. The next witness is Dr Seldon, I think.
法官:谢谢。没有问题了。我想下一位证人是塞尔登医生吧。
(Dr Seldon comes in, and the clerk gives him the book.)
(塞尔登医生走进来,书记员把那本书递给他。)
SELDON: I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
塞尔登:我保证如实供述,毫无隐瞒。
MS WILLS: Dr Seldon, you looked at Mary Jones’s body. What did you find?
威尔斯女士:塞尔登医生,你检查过玛丽·琼斯的尸体。你有什么发现吗?
SELDON: Mary Jones was a young woman of about 18. She died because somebody hit her four times on the head.
塞尔登:玛丽·琼斯是个大概18岁的年轻女子。有人击打她的头部四次导致她死亡。
MS WILLS: Thank you. You looked at this spanner very carefully, too. Can you tell us about that, please?
威尔斯女士:谢谢。你也非常仔细地检查过这个扳手。能给我们说一说吗?
SELDON: Yes. I looked at the spanner and I found blood and hair on it. The blood and hair were Mary Jones’s.
塞尔登:可以。我检查过扳手,发现上面有血和头发。血和头发都是玛丽·琼斯的。
MS WILLS: Are you sure about that?
威尔斯女士:你确定吗?
SELDON: Yes. They were the same.
塞尔登:确定。是一样的。
MS WILLS: So did somebody kill her with this spanner?
威尔斯女士:所以说有人用这个扳手杀了她?
SELDON: Oh yes. I am sure about that.
塞尔登:嗯,是的。我很确定。
MS WILLS: Thank you. Wait there, please. (She sits down, and Carter gets up.)
威尔斯女士:谢谢。请稍等。(她坐下来,卡特站起来。)
GARTER: Dr Seldon, I want to ask you about Mary Jones’s hands. Was there any blood on them?
卡特:塞尔登医生,我想问问玛丽·琼斯的手。她的手上有血吗?
SELDON: Yes, sir, a lot of blood. I looked at it very carefully and it was her blood.
塞尔登:有的,先生,有很多血。我检查得很仔细,是她的血。
Perhaps she put her hands on her head when the spanner hit her.
可能扳手打到她的时候她用手捂着头。
GARTER: But was there blood under her fingernails, too?
卡特:但是她的指甲缝里也有血吗?
SELDON: Yes, a little.
塞尔登:是的,有一点儿。
GARTER: Did you look carefully at that blood, too?
卡特:你也仔细检验了那儿的血吗?
SELDON: No, I didn’t. There was a lot of blood on her hands and it was all her blood. I am sure about that.
塞尔登:不,我没有。她手上有很多血,都是她的血。这点我敢肯定。
GARTER: Yes, but think carefully, doctor. What did Mary do when the man hit her?
卡特:好的,但是仔细想想,医生。那个人打她的时候,玛丽·琼斯做了什么?
Did she try to hit him, too? Perhaps she cut his face with her fingernails.
她也想要打他吗?或许她用指甲划破了他的脸?
Do girls sometimes do that?
女孩儿有时会这么做吗?
SELDON: Well, yes, sometimes.
塞尔登:嗯,是的,有时会。
GARTER: So perhaps the man’s blood was under her fingernails. Did you look for that?
卡特:所以她指甲缝里有可能留有凶手的血。你检查了吗?
SELDON: There wasn’t much blood under her fingernails.
塞尔登:她的指甲缝里没多少血。
GARTER: But did you look at it, doctor? Did you look carefully at the blood under her fingernails?
卡特:但是你有没有检查,医生?你仔细检查她指甲缝里的血了吗?
SELDON: No. I’m sorry, I didn’t.
塞尔登:没有。抱歉,我没检查。
GARTER: I see. But there was some blood under her fingernails. You’re sure about that?
卡特:我明白了。但是她指甲缝里是有血的。这点你能肯定吗?
SELDON: Yes, there was a little blood there. Not much.
塞尔登:是的,有一点儿血。不多。
Carter sits down. Seldon goes out. PC Moran comes in, and takes the book from the clerk.
卡特坐下来。塞尔登走出去。莫兰警员走进来,从书记员手里接过那本书。
MORAN
莫兰
I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
我保证如实供述,毫无隐瞒。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
PC Moran, you looked at the white Ford Fiesta, I think. What did you find?
莫兰警员,我想你检查过那辆白色福特嘉年华。你有什么发现?
MORAN
莫兰
Well, first I put some paper under each tyre, and drove the car over it. The tyres made marks on the paper. Then I took the paper to the beach, and looked at the tyre marks in the sand.
嗯,我先是在每个轮胎下面放了些纸,然后开车碾过去。轮胎印就留在纸上了。然后我把纸拿到沙滩那儿,检查了沙滩上的轮胎印。
I put some paper under each tyre, and drove the car over it.
我先是在每个轮胎下面放了些纸,然后开车碾过去。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
Were they different?
它们有什么不同吗?
MORAN
莫兰
No, they weren’t. The marks on the beach were from Pirelli ZX37 tyres, and the marks on the paper were from Pirelli ZX37 tyres, too.
没有,是一样的。沙滩上的轮胎印是倍耐力ZX37轮胎留下的,纸上的轮胎印也是倍耐力ZX37轮胎的。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
Did you find any more things in the car?
你在车里发现其他什么东西了吗?
MORAN
莫兰
Yes. There was a lot of sand from the beach.
发现了。车里有很多沙滩上的沙子。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
I see. That’s very interesting. Thank you very much. Wait there, please. (She sits down.)
我明白了。这很有意思。非常感谢。请稍等。(她坐下来。)
GARTER
卡特
(Standing up) PC Moran, do all Ford Fiestas have Pirelli ZX37 tyres?
(站起来)莫兰警员,所有的福特嘉年华配的都是倍耐力ZX37的轮胎吗?
MORAN
莫兰
No. Ford Fiestas can have lots of different tyres.
不是。福特嘉年华可以配很多不同的轮胎。
GARTER
卡特
And what about Volkswagen Polos? Do they sometimes have Pirelli ZX37 tyres, too?
那大众保罗呢?有时也配倍耐力ZX37的轮胎吗?
MORAN
莫兰
Sometimes, yes, sir.
有时也配,先生。
GARTER
卡特
I see. So there are lots of cars with these tyres. Some are Ford Fiestas, but some are Volkswagen Polos. Is that true?
我明白了。所以说很多车都配这种轮胎。有些是福特嘉年华,但是有些是大众保罗。是吧?
MORAN
莫兰
That’s true, yes.
没错,是的。
GARTER
卡特
So perhaps a Polo made these marks in the sand?
所以可能是一辆保罗在沙滩上留下了这些轮胎印?
MORAN
莫兰
Perhaps, yes.
有可能,是的。
GARTER
卡特
Thank you. Now, there was a lot of sand in the car. Was there any blood in the car too, or hair?
谢谢。好,车上有很多沙子。车上也有血或头发吗?
MORAN
莫兰
No, there wasn’t.
不,没有。
GARTER
卡特
What? No hair or blood? Did you look?
什么?没有头发和血迹?你检查了吗?
MORAN
莫兰
Yes, sir, we did. But we didn’t find anything.
是的,先生,我们检查过。但是我们什么也没发现。
GARTER
卡特
But Ms Wills said, ‘These young men killed Mary Jones.’ There was blood on Mary’s head and face, blood on her dress, blood on her hands. But there was no blood in the car, you say?
可威尔斯女士说:“这两个年轻人杀了玛丽·琼斯。”玛丽的头上和脸上有血,裙子上有血,手上有血。但是你说车上没有血?
MORAN
莫兰
No, sir, no blood or hair in the car.
没有,先生,车上没有血和头发。
GARTER
卡特
I see. Thank you, PC Moran. That’s very interesting.
我明白了。谢谢,莫兰警员。这很有意思。
(He sits down.)
(他坐下来。)
Moran goes out, and WPC Gray comes in.
莫兰走出去,女警员格雷走进来。
GRAY
格雷
(Taking the book) I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
(拿着书)我保证如实供述,毫无隐瞒。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
WPC Gray, you found Simon Clark and Dan Smith in the white Ford Fiesta. What happened?
格雷警员,你发现西蒙·克拉克和丹·史密斯在那辆白色福特嘉年华里。发生了什么事?
GRAY
格雷
Well, at ten o’clock that night, a woman called Mrs Symes telephoned the police. ‘I can’t find my car,’ she said. It was a white Ford Fiesta, number M346 WXT.
嗯,那天晚上十点钟,有一位赛姆斯太太打电话报警。“我找不到我的车了。”她说。车是白色福特嘉年华,车牌号是M346 WXT。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
Did you look for the car?
你找这辆车了吗?
GRAY
格雷
Yes. At two o’clock in the morning, we found it in Bilsford. Simon Clark and Dan Smith were in the car, so we asked them a lot of questions.
找了。凌晨两点钟的时候,我们在比尔斯福德找到了。西蒙·克拉克和丹·史密斯在车里,于是我们问了他们许多问题。
We asked them a lot of questions.’
于是我们问了他们许多问题。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
What did they say?
他们怎么说?
GRAY
格雷
They stole the car at eight o’clock, they said. Then they went to a disco in Trenton, and stayed there until about midnight.
他们说是在八点偷的车。然后开到托伦顿的一家迪斯科舞厅,在那儿待到午夜前后。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
And what did you find in the car?
那你在车里发现了什么?
GRAY
格雷
A spanner, and a lot of sand. There was sand in the young men’s shoes, too.
一个扳手,还有很多沙子。那两个年轻人的鞋里也有沙子。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
What did they say about the spanner?
那个扳手,他们怎么说?
GRAY
格雷
Nothing. They said, ‘Spanner? What spanner?’
什么都没说。他们说:“扳手?什么扳手?”
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
Why was there sand in their shoes? Did you ask them?
他们鞋里为什么会有沙子?你问他们了吗?
GRAY
格雷
Yes. They went for a walk on the beach, they said.
问了。他们说在沙滩上散了会儿步。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
Did you see any blood on these young men?
你看到这两个年轻人身上有血吗?
GRAY
格雷
Yes, I did. There was blood on Simon Clark’s face. He had two small cuts under his left eye.
有,我看到了。西蒙·克拉克脸上有血。他左眼下面有两道小划痕。
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
Did you ask him about this?
你问他这是怎么回事了吗?
GRAY
格雷
Yes. He said, ‘A man in a disco hit me. His hand cut me.’
问了。他说:“在迪斯科舞厅里有个男的打了我。他的手划到了我。”
MS WILLS
威尔斯女士
I see. Thank you very much. Wait there, please.
我明白了。非常感谢。请稍等。
(She sits down, and Carter stands up.)
(她坐下来,卡特站起来。)
GARTER
卡特
I have only two questions, WPC Gray. Did you find any blood on the young men’s shoes?
我只有两个问题,格雷警员。你在这两个年轻人的鞋上发现血了吗?
GRAY
格雷
No, sir. There was a lot of sand, but no blood.
没有,先生。鞋上有很多沙子,但没有血。
GARTER
卡特
Was there any blood on their shirts or trousers? Blood from these cuts on Simon’s face, perhaps?
他们的衬衫或裤子上有血吗?或许是西蒙的脸被划伤流的血?
GRAY
格雷
No sir, there wasn’t. They were very small cuts.
没有,先生,没有血。那都是很小的划痕。
GARTER
卡特
Thank you. (He sits down.)
谢谢。(他坐下来。)
0 条评论