“Which room shall it be next?” said Mr Wonka as he turned away and darted into the lift. “Come on! Hurry up! We must get going! And how many children are there left now?”

“我们现在去哪一个车间呢?”旺卡先生转身冲进电梯说,“来吧,赶快!我们得走了!现在剩下几个小朋友啦?”

“You mean you’re the only one left?” Mr Wonka said, pretending to be surprised.

“你是说,只剩下你一个了?”旺卡先生装出大吃一惊的样子说。

Little Charlie looked at Grandpa Joe, and Grandpa Joe looked back at little Charlie.

小查理看着约瑟夫爷爷,同时约瑟夫爷爷也正看着小查理。

Mr Wonka swung round and stared at Charlie.

旺卡先生猛地转过身来,看着查理。

“But Mr Wonka,” Grandpa Joe called after him, “there’s… there’s only Charlie left now.”

“可是旺卡先生,”约瑟夫爷爷在他后面叫,“现在…现在只剩下一个小查理了。”

There was a silence. Charlie stood there holding tightly on to Grandpa Joe’s hand.

这时一片寂静。查理站着,紧紧握住约瑟夫爷爷的手。

Mr Wonka suddenly exploded with excitement. “But my dear boy,” he cried out, “that means you’ve won!” He rushed out of the lift and started shaking Charlie’s hand so furiously it nearly came off. “Oh, I do congratulate you!” he cried. “I really do! I’m absolutely delighted! It couldn’t be better! How wonderful this is! I had a hunch, you knew, right from the beginning, that it was going to be you! Well done, Charlie, well done! This is terrific! Now the fun is really going to start! But we mustn’t dilly! We mustn’t dally! There’s even less time to lose now than there was before! We have an enormous number of things to do before the day is out! Just think of the arrangements that have to be made! And the people we have to fetch! But luckily for us, we have the great glass lift to speed things up! Jump in, my dear Charlie, jump in! You too, Grandpa Joe, sir! No, no, after you! That’s the way! Now then! This time I shall choose the button we are going to press!” Mr Wonka’s bright twinkling blue eyes rested for a moment on Charlie’s face.

旺卡先生忽然变得异常高兴。“我亲爱的小朋友,”他叫起来,“这是说你赢了!”他从电梯里冲出来,开始和查理握手。他摇得那么厉害,查理的手几乎都被拉下来了。“噢,我祝贺你!”他说道,“我衷心祝贺你!我高兴极了!真是再好不过了!多么好啊!你知道,一开头我就有一种预感,这将是你!做得好,查理,做得好!真是好极了!现在乐趣真正要开始了,不过我们绝不可以慢下来!我们绝不可以拖延!现在比先前更不能浪费时间!在天黑之前,我们有大量的事情要做!只要想想必须作出的安排!想想我们要找的人!幸亏我们有这部大玻璃电梯,它可以使事情加快!进去吧!我亲爱的查理,进去吧!还有你,约瑟夫爷爷老先生!不,不,你先进去!对了!好!这一次由我来挑选按钮!”旺卡先生明亮而闪烁的蓝眼睛向查理的脸看了一下。

“Why, yes,” whispered Charlie. “Yes.”

“是的,”查理轻轻地说,“是的。”

It said… UP AND OUT.

上面写着:上去,出去。

Something crazy is going to happen now, Charlie thought. But he wasn’t frightened. He wasn’t even nervous. He was just terrifically excited. And so was Grandpa Joe. The old man’s face was shining with excitement as he watched every move that Mr Wonka made. Mr Wonka was reaching for a button high up on the glass ceiling of the lift. Charlie and Grandpa Joe both craned their necks to read what it said on the little label beside the button.

查理想:“现在一定是要发生一些疯狂的事情。”但是他不怕。他甚至不紧张。他只是无比兴奋。约瑟夫爷爷也一样。这位老人家看着旺卡先生的一举一动,脸上兴奋得闪光。旺卡先生把手伸到电梯高高的玻璃天花板上去按一个按钮。查理和约瑟夫爷爷双双伸长脖子去看那按钮旁边的小标签。

Then WHAM! The lift shot straight up like a rocket! “Yippee!” shouted Grandpa Joe. Charlie was clinging to Grandpa Joe’s legs and Mr Wonka was holding on to a strap from the ceiling, and up they went, up, up, up, straight up this time, with no twistings or turnings, and Charlie could hear the whistling of the air outside as the lift went faster and faster. “Yippee!” shouted Grandpa Joe again. “Yippee! Here we go!”

接着,呜!电梯像火箭似的向上直冲。“好啊!”约瑟夫爷爷大叫。查理紧抱着约瑟夫爷爷的腿,旺卡先生抓住从天花板上垂下来的皮带。这一回他们上去,上去,上去,一直上去,不绕圈,也不拐弯。电梯愈开愈快的时候,查理只听见外面的空气嗖嗖地响。“好啊!”约瑟夫爷爷又叫,“好啊,我们在上升!”

Mr Wonka pressed the button.

旺卡先生按了按钮。

“Up and out,” thought Charlie. “What sort of a room is that?”

“上去,出去,”查理心里想,“这是个什么车间呢?”

“Hold on!” cried Mr Wonka.

“抓紧!”旺卡先生叫道。

The glass doors closed.

玻璃门关上了。

“But you don’t mean…” shouted Grandpa Joe, “… you don’t really mean that this lift…”

“你的意思不是…”约瑟夫爷爷叫道,“你不是真要这电梯…”

“I suppose it might,” said Mr Wonka, cheerful as ever, “but it’s pretty thick glass, all the same.”

“我想有这个可能,”旺卡先生说,但还是那么兴高采烈,“不过玻璃很厚。”

“Through what?” shouted Grandpa Joe. “What have we got to get through?”

“冲不过什么?”约瑟夫爷爷叫道,“我们要冲过什么?”

“Faster!” cried Mr Wonka, banging the wall of the lift with his hand. “Faster! Faster! If we don’t go any faster than this, we shall never get through!”

“快一点儿!”旺卡先生用手拍着电梯的墙壁叫道,“快一点儿!快一点儿!如果不开得快一点儿,我们就冲不过去了!”

“Oh yes, I do!” answered Mr Wonka. “You wait and see! Up and out!”

“噢,是的,我正要这样!”旺卡先生回答说,“你等着瞧吧!上去,然后出去!”

“Ah-ha!” cried Mr Wonka, “you wait and see! I’ve been longing to press this button for years! But I’ve never done it until now! I was tempted many times! Oh, yes, I was tempted! But I couldn’t bear the thought of making a great big hole in the roof of the factory! Here we go, boys! Up and out!”

“啊哈!”旺卡先生叫道,“你等着瞧吧!多少年来,我一直渴望按这个按钮!直到现在我才如愿以偿!我许多次都快忍不住了!噢,不错!我都快忍不住了!但一想到要在工厂屋顶上撞穿一个大洞,我又舍不得!这次我们穿过去吧,伙计!上去,出去!”

“But… but… but… it’s made of glass!” shouted Grandpa Joe. “It’ll break into a million pieces!”

“不过…不过…不过…电梯是玻璃造的!”约瑟夫爷爷叫道,“它要撞得粉碎!”

The lift rushed on, going up and up and up, faster and faster and faster…

电梯向上一直冲啊冲,愈冲愈快,愈冲愈快…

Then suddenly, CRASH! — and the most tremendous noise of splintering wood and broken tiles came from directly above their heads, and Grandpa Joe shouted, “Help! It’s the end! We’re done for!” and Mr Wonka said, “No, we’re not! We’re through! We’re out!” Sure enough, the lift had shot right up through the roof of the factory and was now rising into the sky like a rocket, and the sunshine was pouring in through the glass roof. In five seconds they were a thousand feet up in the sky.

忽然之间,哗啦!一阵震耳欲聋的木头破裂声和瓦片破碎声直接从他们的头顶上传下来。约瑟夫爷爷大叫:“救命啊!完了!我们没命了!”但旺卡先生说:“不,我们没有完!我们冲过去了!我们出去了!”一点儿不错,电梯已经穿过工厂的屋顶,正像火箭一样直上云霄,阳光透过玻璃顶照了进来。只五秒钟,他们已经在三百多米的高空了。

“Are we all right?” cried Grandpa Joe. “How does this thing stay up?”

“我们不会有事吧?”约瑟夫爷爷叫道,“这玩意儿怎么能在空中停住呢?”

“Have no fear, my dear sir,” said Mr Wonka calmly, and he pressed another button. The lift stopped. It stopped and hung in mid-air, hovering like a helicopter, hovering over the factory and over the very town itself which lay spread out below them like a picture postcard! Looking down through the glass floor on which he was standing, Charlie could see the small far-away houses and the streets and the snow that lay thickly over everything. It was an eerie and frightening feeling to be standing on clear glass high up in the sky. It made you feel that you weren’t standing on anything at all.

“不要怕,我亲爱的老先生。”旺卡先生镇静地说着,去按另外一个按钮,电梯停下了。它悬停在空中,像一架直升机那样悬在工厂和市镇上空。市镇像一张风景明信片那样,在他们下面展开。透过他们站着的玻璃地板看下去,查理可以看到远远的小房子、小街道和盖在所有东西上面的积雪。在高空中,站在明净的玻璃上使人有一种奇怪和恐惧的感觉,它使你觉得好像根本没有站在任何东西上面。

“Sugar power!” said Mr Wonka. “One million sugar power! Oh, look,” he cried, pointing down, “there go the other children! They’re returning home!”

“这是糖的力量!”旺卡先生说,“一百万的糖力!噢,瞧!”他指着下面叫道,“其他几个小朋友!他们正在回家呢!”

“The lift’s gone mad!” shouted Grandpa Joe.

“这电梯发疯了!”约瑟夫爷爷叫道。


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号 | 网站地图