In the past few weeks.
在最近几个星期。
When the wind blows,
风儿轻轻吹,
with the question of whether I go back to work or not.
为我是否回去工作这个问题。
I really want to go back to work,
我真的想回去工作,
Cradle and all.”
摇篮一道摔。”
I want to be with Max as a full-time mother,
我又想和Max在一起,做个全职的母亲,
Have you discussed going back to work with your boss?
你已跟你的老板讨论过回去工作的事吗?
Rita Mae called yesterday.
Rita Mae昨天打电话来了。
Hi, Marilyn,
嗨,Marilyn。
The cradle will rock.
摇篮跟着晃。
It’s not the same, Richard.
那是不一样的,Richard。
I’ve been wrestling
我一直左思右想
But now…
但是现在…
And I’m torn.
但我不知如何取舍。
Just sketching.
只是画些草图。
around your schedule,
配合你的时间表,
like we always thought I would.
就像我们一向认定的那样。
What are you doing?
你在做什么?
And down will come baby,
宝宝跌下来,
When the bough breaks,
树枝若折断,
when I think I’ll be returning to the boutique.
我打算什么时候回去时装店工作。
use my talents,
发挥我的才智,
if that will help.
假如那样有所帮助的话。
I really understand, Marilyn.
我真的能理解,Marilyn。
There’s Mother and Grandpa…
有妈妈和祖父呢…
especially when he’s a baby.
特别是,他还是个婴儿的时候。
But you never have to worry about Max.
但你根本不用担心Max。
and I can always arrange my photo schedule
而且我也能随时安排我的摄影工作
I see.
这一下我明白了。
The cradle will fall,
摇篮会掉落,
and pursue my career in fashion design
追求我在时装设计方面的事业,
I never stop thinking about them.
我一直在思考这些问题,从未间断。
She wants to know
她想知道
Ah! That’s what’s got you thinking, isn’t it?
噢!就是那通电话使你开始思量起来的,是吗?
I’ve been thinking a lot about our responsibilities
我对于我们的职责想了很多
“Rock-a-bye, baby, on the tree top,
摇呀摇,小宝宝,在树梢,
I’m sure Rita Mae will understand
我相信Rita Mae会理解的,
I said I’d give her an answer in a few days…
我说这几天给她回答…
My career as a fashion designer
时装设计事业
I have two career opportunities at the same time.
我同时有两个事业机会。
Who knows?
谁知道?
and a decision to make.
而且必须做一个抉择。
No, that’s OK.
不,没关系。
and when I’m ready to go back,
而当我准备好要回去时,
There’s your teddy bear, Max.
这是你的玩具熊,Max。
I’ll go to him.
我去。
He just loves that teddy bear
他就喜欢这个玩具熊
But I am thinking about myself.
但我就是在为自己着想呀。
I took him to Philip’s office yesterday for a checkup.
我昨天带他到Philip的办公室去做检查。
That’s the way I look at it.
我就是这么看这件事的。
And you said…?
那你怎么说的?
It’s also my career as Max’s mother.
当Max的母亲也是我的事业。
maybe she’ll find someone else in the meantime,
她也许会在这段时间找别的人。
You’ve got yourself to think about, too.
你也得为自己着想。
I’ll do it.
我去。
If I don’t accept her offer,
假如我不接受她这个工作机会,
I never really thought about being a mother as a career.
我真的从来没有想到做母亲还是一种事业。
Don’t you see?
你不知道吗?
I hear Max.
我听到Max哭了。
I guess you do have two career opportunities
我想你的确是有两个事业机会,
What do you mean?
你是什么意思?
That’s something to consider.
这是需要考虑的一点。
Well, maybe she will, and maybe she won’t.
嗯,也许她会,也许她不会。
there won’t be a job for me.
已经没有空缺了。
and wait until you’re ready to go back to work.
而且会等你准备好了才回去工作。
and my career as a mother.
和担任Max母亲的事业。
It’s not just the job.
不只是那项工作而已。
that I wasn’t sure.
我说我不能确定。
that Grandpa Philip bought for him.
祖父Philip给他买的。
Being with him helped.
和他在一起有帮助。
I sure did.
我的确有。
“Mama, what are they doing to me? Help!”
“妈妈,他们在对我做什么?救命呀!”
Helped him?
帮助他?
How did you feel?
你感觉怎么样?
while you’re at work.
在你工作的时候。
when Molly gave him the injection.
Molly给他打针时。
is that you have us.
就是有我们帮你。
I can imagine what is going through your head.
我能想像你的头脑里正在考虑什么事。
I kissed the top of his dear little head.
我吻着他可爱的小头顶。
what you were thinking about regarding going back to work.
是否打算回去工作。
I’ve been meaning to ask you
我一直想问你
I know Rita Mae called.
我知道Rita Mae打电话给你了。
You should have seen the look on his face
你真该看看他脸上的表情
My dear little boy just looked up at me as if to say,
我亲爱的小男孩只是仰头看着我,好像在说:
Max will always have a family member to watch over him
家里总会有一个人照顾Max,
Being a mother is not easy,
当一个母亲真不容易,
He tried to smile.
他设法要微笑。
There are so many things to consider.
是有许多事情要考虑。
Oh, did he cry?
噢,他哭了吗?
Didn’t you feel terrible?
你没有感到可怕吗?
What did you do?
那你怎么办呢?
I didn’t have that when Richard and Susan were born.
在Richard和Susan出生时我可没有人帮忙。
No.
没有。
One thing that makes it easier for you
有一件事可以使你作起决定来比较容易些,
We hired a woman to watch Richard and then Susan,
我们雇用一名女士来照顾Richard,后来又照顾Susan,
if that’s what you mean.
你是这个意思吧。
Tell the truth.
告诉我实话。
I held him closely.
我紧紧地抱着他。
I’m sure you can, Ellen.
你说的没错,Ellen。
I chose to continue with my career as a music teacher.
我选择继续我的音乐教师的事业。
He looked up at me.
他仰头看我。
Or helped you?
还是帮助你?
Speaking of being a mother,
谈到当母亲,
I thank you.
我也感谢你。
And Richard thanks you.
Richard也会感谢你。
I’ve never seen you so wound up.
我从来没有看过你绷得这么紧。
Not exactly.
不完全。
But when Robbie was born,
但当Robbie出生后,
we want and need.
我们盼望而且也需要的。
I think I did the right thing
我觉得我做了一件对的事
How did you feel about being away
你对出外工作作何感觉,
Hello.
哈罗。
for them and for myself and for Philip.
为他们、为我自己和Philip。
You seem to be enjoying the pressure.
你看起来好像很乐于承受压力。
The truth is, I am.
事实上,我的确如此。
Max thanks you.
Max谢谢你。
Everything I earn helps us towards getting that house
我的每一笔进帐都可帮助我们得到那幢房子
Our toy company makes the most wonderful toys for kids.
我们玩具公司为小孩子们制造最棒的玩具。
My job is not an easy one,
我的工作并不轻松,
I decided to give full-time attention to raising Robbie.
我决定全力抚育他。
Remember?
记得吗?
when Susan and Richard were babies?
当Richard和Susan还很小时?
Do you think you made the right decision?
你认为你的决定正确吗?
Now may I please say hello?
现在我可以说声哈罗了吗?
I think I did.
我想是的。
I continued to teach piano lessons at home.
我继续在家教钢琴。
Hello.
哈罗。
I miss Max and think about him all week long.
我想念Max,一整个星期都在想他。
And you gave up your career as a music teacher?
那么你就放弃了音乐教师的事业?
We talk about him at dinnertime.
我们吃晚餐时总谈起他。
I felt differently at that time.
那时我的感觉又不一样了。
I can’t wait till he’s just a little older.
我迫不及待地希望他长大些。
Will you please try to relax?
你能不能放轻松些?
We needed the money.
我们当时需要钱。
Well, we do too, Ellen.
嗯,我们也需要,Ellen。
and I continued with my career.
而我则继续我的事业。
but I really enjoy it.
但我确实乐在工作。
That is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about, Susan.
这正是我想要跟你谈的,Susan。
I take care of both to the best of my ability.
我尽我所能把两方面都照顾好。
My career as a fashion designer
我以时装设计为事业,
I don’t know why I didn’t think of it.
我不知道为什么我没有想到这一点。
It seems so simple now.
现在事情显得很简单了。
I have a job, and I have Michelle.
我有工作,我也有Michelle。
But I was lucky enough to have a career as a music teacher
但我很幸运,有一个音乐教师的事业
That’s what I said.
我也是这么说。
you could establish out of your home,
你可以在家中开创,
She’s right.
她说得对。
I could stay at home with Max and do my dress designs.
我可以和Max待在家里并从事我的服装设计。
Why does it have to be one or the other?
为什么非得「有这个就没有那个」?
Why can’t you work at home, Marilyn?
你为什么不能在家中工作呢,Marilyn?
Marilyn’s career.
Marilyn的事业。
Designing dresses is a career
设计时装是一种职业
For a year or two
在一两年内,
couldn’t you?
不是吗?
And you could make your dresses at home.
你可以在家做衣服。
I thought you stayed home with Robbie?
我还以为你是跟Robbie待在家里的?
Choice?
抉择?
What’s the problem?
什么问题啦?
I did both with Richard and Susan,
有Richard和Susan时我这样做,
Well, my choice of careers.
是的,我的事业抉择问题。
It’s not easy, but what is?
这不容易,但什么事又容易了?
You’re very talented.
你非常有才华。
Well, that’s what I do.
是啊,我正是这么做的。
and I did both with Robbie.
有Robbie时我也这样做的。
Why can’t you do both?
你为什么不能两样一起做?
How’s that?
那怎么成呢?
versus my career as a mother.
或是以当个母亲为事业。
And that’s what I did.
我也这样做的。
I did.
是的。
which I could continue at home.
可以在家中继续从事。
Both?
一起?
I hope you don’t mind
希望你不介意,
We are lucky to have you, Marilyn.
拥有你是我们的幸运,Marilyn。
Are you kidding?
你在开玩笑吗?
Hi, big guy.
嗨,好小子。
I don’t mind at all.
我一点也不介意。
Do your designs at home — here.
在家里--这里设计服装。
As a matter of fact,
事实上,
And let Rita Mae do the selling at the boutique.
而让Rita Mae在时装店里负责销售。
That’s a good sign.
这是个好兆头。
I think you should call Rita Mae right now.
我想你现在就打电话给Rita Mae。
I came to spend some time with my favorite nephew.
我来是为了和我心爱的侄儿相聚一些时间。
I’m lucky to have you all.
我真的觉得拥有你们很幸运。
for coming all this way from the city to talk to me about it.
从城里大老远赶来和我谈这件事。
That could solve your problem, Marilyn.
这样可以解决你的问题,Marilyn。
She must like you and your work, Marilyn.
她一定是喜欢你和你的工作,Marilyn。
I think that really answers your questions, Marilyn.
我觉得这确实解决了你的问题,Marilyn。
I’m going to call Rita Mae at home
我会打电话到Rita Mae家里,
She sure got here quickly.
她来得真快。
She wants to see Max, anyway.
毕竟,她也想看Max。
You can do it.
你可以这样做。
I think your idea of working at home is perfect.
我觉得你在家里工作的主意太好了。
Oh, Susan, thank you so much
噢,Susan,谢谢你
And so is Max.
也是Max的幸运。
Sounds like a great way to solve the problem.
听起来好像是个解决问题的好办法。
having taken so much time away from your busy schedule.
我在你忙碌的生活中占用了这么多时间。
and ask her to come by and talk about it.
请她过来谈谈这件事。
I don’t know what I would do without you.
我真不知道没有你们我怎么办。
That must be Rita Mae.
一定是Rita Mae。
And you can both benefit financially.
你们俩都获得金钱上的利益。
I’m going to call Rita Mae right now.
我现在就打电话给Rita Mae。
Can I get you some coffee or tea or a cold drink, Rita Mae?
你要咖啡、茶或者冷饮吗,Rita Mae?
I have made a decision, Rita Mae.
我已经做了决定,Rita Mae。
Welcome.
欢迎你。
Thanks, Ellen.
谢谢,Ellen。
OK, Marilyn.
好了,Marilyn,
I’ve decided to stay at home and be a full-time mother.
我决定留在家里做一个专职母亲。
Come on, you big guy.
过来,你这个好小子。
We met at the hospital.
我们在医院里见过。
Hello.
哈罗。
How are you?
你好吗?
I think she’s just anxious to see Max.
我觉得她只是急着想看Max。
Well, I will leave you two to talk.
嗯,我走开,你们谈吧。
Oh, nothing, thank you.
噢,什么也不要,谢谢你。
Hello, Rita Mae.
哈罗,Rita Mae。
That’s it.
就这样。
If I had a child as cute as Max,
假如我有一个像Max这样可爱的孩子,
I’m all ears.
我洗耳恭听。
She loves children.
她喜欢孩子。
Oh, it’s beautiful, Rita Mae!
噢,太漂亮了,Rita Mae!
Oh! My, how he’s grown!
噢!天啊,他长这么大了!
Hi, Marilyn.
嗨,Marilyn。
I remember.
我记起来啦。
It’s nice seeing you.
非常高兴见到你。
How are you?
你好吗?
Yes, come on.
是的,过来。
You sounded like you’ve made a decision
你好像已经作了决定,
Oh, and there is Max!
噢,Max在那里!
A little present for Max.
给Max的一件小礼物。
when you called me.
当你打电话给我的时候。
I’m disappointed, but I respect your decision.
我很失望,但我尊重你的决定。
Oh, I just wanted to see your baby, Max.
噢,我只是想看看你的宝贝,Max。
I haven’t seen you since the hospital.
自从医院相遇之后再也没有见到你。
Let me know if you need anything.
假如你需要什么就通知我。
It’s just a little present for Max.
这仅仅是给Max的一件小礼物。
I’m Ellen Stewart, Marilyn’s mother-in-law.
我叫Ellen Stewart,Marilyn的婆婆。
It’s so nice of you to come.
你能来真好。
Thanks, Ellen.
谢谢,Ellen。
You shouldn’t have.
你不该这样破费的。
It’s nothing.
没什么。
And if it’s successful,
假如成功的话,
That’s what I thought.
我也是这样想的。
we can expand to all kinds of dresses.
我们可以扩展到所有种类的服装。
I like the idea very much.
我很喜欢这个主意。
Why can’t I design dresses for you here at home?
为什么我不能在家里为你设计服装呢?
What kind of dresses would you design?
你打算设计哪种服装?
My niece is getting married,
我侄女即将结婚,
I have a customer for your first wedding dress.
我已经有了你的第一套结婚礼服的顾客。
and take care of Max and continue my career.
一面照顾孩子,同时继续我的事业。
Wedding dresses?
结婚礼服?
Yes.
是的。
Let me hear it.
说给我听听。
There’s a big market today in wedding dresses.
结婚礼服在目前有很大的市场。
I might do the same thing.
我也可能会做同样的决定。
Brilliant idea!
这个主意真棒!
Sounds interesting.
听起来很有趣。
Exactly.
就是这样。
Marilyn, you’re going to design my niece’s dress.
Marilyn,你现在就开始设计我侄女的结婚礼服。
Yes?
真的?
Wedding dresses.
结婚礼服。
Oh!
噢!
Have the fittings here, too.
也在这里试穿。
our talks about custom-designed dresses for the boutique?
我们曾经谈过为时装店设计订制的服装吗?
And I could do the selling and the pricing at the boutique.
而我在时装店里负责销售和标价。
I sure do.
我当然记得。
I think I can stay at home
我觉得我可以待在家里,
I’ve thought about that for some time.
我已经想过一阵子了。
But I haven’t finished telling you
但我还没有对你说完
The other half?
另一半?
Do you remember
你记得
And make them here.
在这儿缝制。
the other half of my decision.
我这个决定的另一半。
As a matter of fact,
事实上,
That’s what I thought.
我也正这样想。
and I’ve been trying to find just the right thing for her.
而我一直在为她找件合适的东西。
I’d love to.
我想看。
Ooh…
噢…
I really mean it.
当然是真的。
It’s a simple idea, and it will work.
这主意很简单,而且一定可行。
to see some of my designs that I’ve been working on?
看我正在设计的一些服装呢?
Would you like
你想不想
It all sounds so easy.
一切听起来竟是如此简单。
I can’t wait to tell Richard!
我简直迫不及待想告诉Richard!
for Max and for yourself too, Marilyn.
为Max,也为你自己,Marilyn。
You’re making the right decision
你做了一个正确的决定
That’ll be our first one,
这将成为我们的第一件,
I’d want to stay home and be near him all the time, too.
我也要整逃诩在他身边。
and then we’ll use it to sell others.
然后我们再利用它来销售其他的。
And there’s no reason why you can’t do it from your home.
而且也没有理由你不可以在家里做。
Now the hard work begins.
艰苦的工作现在开始了。
I’m so excited!
我好兴奋!
I know that.
我知道。
You can certainly design dresses.
你确实很能设计服装,
If I had a baby like Max,
假如我有一个像Max这样的宝贝,
Do you really mean it?
你说的可是当真?
Ooh! Oh, that’s wonderful!
噢!噢,太好了!
0 条评论