We need to have our own place to live.
我们应该有自己的房子。
Did you find one?
找到合适的吗?
and there is room,
这里有地方,
About what?
关于什么?
Sounds like Richard.
听起来跟Richard一样。
We love having you here,
我们喜欢你们住这里,
and… and when the baby comes,
而且…而且婴儿出生以后,
It’s natural.
这是很自然的。
at this point in our lives?
在这个时候怎么样?
but Philip is too independent.
但是Philip的独立性太强了。
I remember when I was pregnant with Richard.
我记得当我怀着Richard时,
Well, what do you think about Richard and me
那么,你觉得我和Richard
and he kept talking about having a house of our own.
他老说要有自己的家。
Philip was a young doctor,
Philip当时是个年轻的大夫,
Ellen, I’d like your opinion.
Ellen,我想听听你的意见。
We looked at a lot of houses.
我们看了好多房子。
the baby can stay in your room for a while.
可以住在你们房间一段时间。
Oh.
噢。
What did you do?
那你们怎么办呢?
He’s independent,
他的独立性强,
Oh, not at first.
噢,没有马上找到。
They’re all alike.
他们都是一个样子。
Well, Richard and I feel that with a baby coming
嗯,Richard和我觉得孩子快要出生了,
He didn’t want to borrow any money.
他不想借钱。
Philip and I were living with Grandma and Grandpa.
Philip与我和爷爷、奶奶住在一起。
looking for a small house or an apartment
找一个小住宅或公寓
Grandpa wanted to lend us the money to buy one,
爷爷要借给我们钱去买房子,
When did you buy a house?
那你们在什么时候买房子呢?
Richard feels we need to find a small house.
Richard觉得我们需要一个小住宅。
We couldn’t afford it.
我们当时不够钱。
Richard is a real Stewart.
Richard是个典型的Stewart家后代。
and sometimes just stubborn.
有时候甚至近乎顽固。
After Richard was born.
等生下Richard之后。
I was teaching music,
我当时教音乐,
Do you think it’s too long?
你会不会觉得太长了?
You won’t believe this,
你简直不会相信,
but just right for us.
但正好够我们住。
It’s funny. History repeats itself.
真有意思。历史在重演。
Well, I’ll tell Richard,
嗯,我会告诉Richard,
We can learn a lot by asking.
我们到处问问会学到不少东西。
and we probably won’t be able to
而我们也许也一样不能
Maybe we should
也许我们应该
Look in the real-estate section of Sunday’s Times.
查一查星期天的《纽约时报》房地产版,
I think it’s a good idea, Ellen.
我觉得这是个好主意,Ellen。
As a matter of fact,
事实上,
let me know.
告诉我。
afford a house right away, either.
马上负担得起一栋房子。
Right here in Riverdale.
就在这里,Riverdale。
I’ll talk to Richard about it.
我会与Richard商量商量。
And a bank about a mortgage.
还要和银行谈谈贷款。
Are you planning to attach a train to it?
你准备加拖地裙摆吗?
I think the skirt is just right.
我觉得长度合适。
Where was the house?
房子在什么地方?
You’ll learn a lot.
你会增长不少见识。
and we’ll go to see her.
我们会去找她。
Do you think the skirt length is right, Ellen?
你觉得这裙子长度合适吗?
and Philip was opening his first medical office.
而Philip则第一次开诊所。
but she sold us our first house and this one.
我们的第一栋房子和这一栋都是她卖的。
Good.
好极了。
speak to a real-estate agent about a house.
和房地产仲介商谈一谈关于房子的事。
Of course, it was a small house,
当然,那是一栋小房子,
Now Richard and I are having a baby,
现在,Richard和我有了孩子,
Good idea.
好主意。
my friend Virginia Martinelli is a real-estate agent.
我的朋友Virginia Martinelli就是个房地产仲介。
And if I can be of any help,
如果我能有所帮忙的话,
Why don’t you look at some houses, Marilyn?
你何不去看一看房子呢,Marilyn?
I remember your parents’ first house very well.
我还清楚记得你父母的第一栋房子。
And thanks for the advice about the house.
也谢谢你关于房子的建议。
we love having you here.
我们喜欢你们住这里。
Thanks, Ellen.
谢谢,Ellen。
But I am going to make a headpiece of lace.
但我准备做一个蕾丝头饰。
I hear you’re expecting a baby, Mrs. Stewart.
我听说你们快有小孩了,Stewart太太。
to help you find a house now.
帮助你们找房子。
so it’s my pleasure
所以现在我很乐意
I love your house on Linden Street.
我喜欢你们家在Linden街的房子。
Oh, so you don’t need something immediately?
呵,所以你们并不是急着马上就要。
I’ll talk to Richard about it
我就跟Richard商量
Well, we’re not sure we can afford one.
嗯,我们还不知道是不是负担得起。
I’ve seen pictures of him.
我见过他的照片。
about the possibilities.
有多大的可能性。
for a long time,
很久了,
He had blond hair.
他原来是金色头发。
That’s a good idea.
这是个好主意。
That dress is gorgeous.
这套服装真华丽。
the minute he comes home.
他一回来。
No. No train. Just the dress.
不,不加裙摆。就是这样连身套装。
I grew up in that house.
我就在那栋房子长大的。
I sold your father that house seventeen years ago.
十七年前我把那栋房子卖给你父亲的。
Really?
真的?
Yes, Mom was pregnant with Robbie then,
是的,那时妈妈怀着Robbie,
Mmm-hmm.
嗯。
It was on Spring Avenue, near the park.
那房子是在Spring Avenue,公园附近。
So we will be needing more room.
所以我们也将需要更大的空间。
And remember,
记住,
I’ve been friendly with the Stewart family
我和Stewart家有交情
and they needed the extra room.
他们需要多一些空间。
Yes, and you were such a cute baby.
对,你当时是个很逗人喜爱的婴儿。
But we’d like to find out
但我们想知道
There’s no need to rush.
没有必要急急忙忙。
It’s pretty,
是漂亮,
but I prefer a two-story home.
但我喜欢两层楼的房子。
and it’s only about an hour’s drive from here.
而且从此地到那里只有大约一小时的车程。
With two bedrooms?
有两间卧室吗?
It looks wonderful.
看起来很好看。
Well, we have an office in Mount Kisco.
好,我们在Mount Kisco有个办事处。
Oh, this is a wonderful house.
啊,这是一栋很好的房子。
I don’t care for a ranch type.
不爱平房。
OK.
好的。
Let me show you some pictures of houses.
我来给你们看看一些房子的照片。
We’ve always lived in this area.
我们一直住在这个地区。
about your salaries and your savings.
关于薪资和储蓄。
I sold it to the present owners.
是我把它卖给了现在的主人。
No. But in five or six months…
不急。但是在五、六个月后…
This is a two-bedroom, two-bath house.
这是一栋有两间卧室,两间盥洗室的房子。
Yes, I think I can show you some.
是的,我有一些可以给你们看。
Here.
这里。
It’s a lovely area,
那里是个可爱的地方,
Now, let’s see. Here.
来,我们看看。这个,
you gave me enough information
已经给了我充分的资料
This is a lovely two-bedroom house in your price range.
这一栋可爱房子有两间卧室,在你们价格范围内。
And time passes so quickly.
可是时间过得很快。
Of course, they won’t be in Riverdale.
当然这些房子不在Riverdale,
I have a book with photos of some homes in that area.
我有一本那个地区房子的照片。
I do, too.
我也一样。
The cost of housing’s too high for you here.
这里的房子对你们来说太贵了。
I haven’t thought about living anywhere else.
我还没有考虑要住到别的地方去。
So I have a good idea about your financial situation.
所以,我对你们的财务状况很了解。
Well, when you called,
嗯,你们打电话来时,
Yes, it does.
是的,确实如此。
I know it well.
我非常清楚。
Where should we look for a house, Mrs. Martinelli?
我们应该到什么地方找房子,Martinelli太太?
It’s interesting.
很有趣。
I love the roof tiles on a Spanish-style house.
我喜欢西班牙式房屋的屋顶瓦。
Oh my!
啊!
A house like this in Riverdale costs double the price.
在Riverdale像这样的房子价格要贵一倍。
and it is on a half-acre lot.
用地半英亩。
Would you like to go see it?
你们要去看看吗?
to talk to someone at the bank next week.
下星期与银行的人谈一谈。
It’s quite lovely.
相当好看。
No. It has three bedrooms and three baths.
不。这栋房子有叁间卧室,叁间盥洗室。
It’s a bargain.
真是大廉售。
Oh,
噢,
This is very helpful, Mrs. Martinelli.
这样很有用,Martinelli太太。
Here.
这里。
Just to get an idea of some other possibilities.
瞧瞧其他可能的选择。
And the price is right.
而且价格也合适。
Yes. We’re planning
是的。我们计划
If someone doesn’t buy it before then,
如果在此之前没有人买走的话。
Here’s a real buy.
这个价格便宜。
I like this house.
我喜欢这栋房子。
Is it a two-bedroom house?
是两个卧室的吗?
This house just came on the market.
这栋房子刚刚推出要卖。
It has a full basement,
全面地下室,
Perhaps we could see the house this weekend.
也许这周末我们会去看看这栋房子。
But let’s keep looking.
让我们继续看下去。
This is a wonderful example of Spanish-style architecture.
这是栋很棒的典型西班牙式建筑。
You can probably afford this one.
你可能负担得起这栋房子。
And there’s a two-car garage.
还有一个可放两辆车的车库。
Then why don’t we go look at this house, too?
那我们何不也去看看这栋房子?
I know the house.
我熟悉这房子,
And a living room with a twelve-foot ceiling.
有一间十二英尺高的客厅。
So do I.
我也喜欢。
It looks like the houses in Hollywood.
看起来好像是好莱坞的房子。
It has a brand new kitchen.
有一个全新的厨房。
Well, thanks so much for your help and your time,
好的,感谢你的帮助,占用了你的时间。
My pleasure.
不客气。
Give my best to your parents.
替我向你父母问好。
And we’d like to find out about a mortgage.
我们想知道如何贷款。
We’ve got a lot to talk about.
我们有很多可商量的了。
Thanks so much.
非常感谢。
I’ll give them your regards.
我会向他们转达你的问候。
Thank you, Mrs. Martinelli.
谢谢你!Martinelli太太。
I do think you should go see the houses
我确实感到你们应该去看看这些房子
We’d like to discuss a mortgage.
我们想请教一下贷款的事。
He’s the best pediatrician in Westchester.
他是全Westchester最好的小儿科医师。
I’m Richard Stewart, and this is my wife, Marilyn.
我叫Richard Stewart,这是我妻子,Marilyn。
Let me give you some information sheets about the houses.
我给你们一些关于这些房子的简介。
How do you do?
你好!
when she was a child.
在她小时候。
He took care of my daughter
我女儿曾受他照顾
Fine. Are you buying a house
好的。你们是要买房子呢,
We are customers of the bank.
我们是贵行的顾客。
Please, sit down. What can I do for you?
请坐下。我能为你们做什么呢?
Likewise, Mr. Riley.
我们也一样,Riley先生。
We’re planning to buy a house.
我们计划买一栋房子。
Mmm-hmm. Thanks.
嗯。谢谢。
or are you refinancing your present home?
还是原有的房子重新申请贷款?
For a house.
为了房子。
Pleased to meet you.
很高兴与你见面。
They’re both very good buys.
这两栋都是价格便宜的。
It’s a good investment.
这是一项好投资。
Here.
来,
and talk to the bank.
并且和银行谈一谈。
I’m Ralph Riley.
我叫Ralph Riley。
We really appreciate your advice.
我们非常感谢你的建议。
Hello.
哈罗!
Thanks, Mrs. Martinelli.
谢谢你,Martinelli太太。
Your father’s a wonderful doctor, Richard.
你父亲是个了不起的医生,Richard。
Mrs. Martinelli.
Martinelli太太。
We’re talking about buying
我们在商量购买
Thank you.
谢谢你。
I’m thirty.
我叁十岁。
I see. Then you don’t have any collateral.
我明白了。那么你们没有任何担保物。
I’m twenty-nine.
我二十九岁。
Are you prepared to make a ten-percent down payment?
你打算缴纳10%做为自备款吗?
Well, it depends. Do you own any other property?
嗯,这还要看情况。你们拥有其他什么财产吗?
Yes, we are.
是的,我们准备如此。
And, Mrs. Stewart, are you working?
嗯,Stewart太太,你有工作吗?
Yes. I’m a designer, and I work in a boutique.
是的,我是位设计师,我在一家服装店工作。
someone to sign for the loan for you.
找个人为你们的贷款签个名。
Last year’s tax forms?
譬如去年的纳税申报表格?
Payments over thirty years?
叁十年分期付款吗?
I have some questions to ask.
我有一些问题要问。
Perhaps you could get a guarantor —
也许你可以找一位担保人,
Any stocks or bonds?
有股票或债券吗?
Here are the financial details on the house.
这是这房子的财务细节。
I’m a freelance photographer.
我是自由摄影师。
As a matter of fact, my whole family banks here.
事实上,我们全家都是贵行的顾客。
Do you think we can get a loan?
你觉得我们能得到贷款吗?
And, Mr. Stewart, what is your occupation?
那么,Stewart先生,你的职业呢?
OK. What… what kind of house did you have in mind?
好的,你们打算买什么样的房子?
Why is that necessary?
为什么有此必要?
Yes. Here they are.
带来了,在这里。
We live with my parents, Dr. and Mrs. Philip Stewart.
我们和父母住在一起,我父母是Philip Stewart夫妇。
Did you bring any savings or salary information?
你是否带来储蓄和薪资的相关资料?
Yes.
是的。
And how old are you?
你几岁了?
Neither.
都不是。
No.
没有。
Do you own your house or do you rent?
你们自己有房子还是租房子?
a two-bedroom house in Mount Kisco.
一栋有两间卧室的房子,在Mount Kisco。
Now, tell me, what’s the problem?
啊,告诉我,有什么问题?
We have no collateral.
我们没有担保物。
And we don’t own anything to use as collateral.
可是我们没有任何可以做担保物的东西。
if you can’t make the payments.
如果你们不能还钱,
to ask Dad to sign as a guarantor.
请爸爸当担保人为我签字。
Thank you, Mr. Riley. We’ll read this over carefully.
谢谢你,Riley先生。我们会仔细阅读这些。
I hope so, too.
我也希望如此。
Good-bye. And hope to see you soon.
再见。希望很快再见到你们。
Why don’t you speak to Dad?
你们为什么不跟爸爸说说看?
until they mentioned needing collateral or a guarantor.
在他们提到担保物或担保人之前,
No. If we buy a house, I want to be able to handle it alone.
不,如果我们买房子,我希望能够自行负责。
Since you don’t have enough income,
由于你们的收入不够,
Good-bye.
再见。
It all sounded so easy
一切听起来都那么容易。
I see. Well, the idea of buying a house is exciting.
我明白了。嗯,买房子的念头叫人兴奋过头。
the bank needs to be sure
银行需要确定
I don’t feel right about it.
我觉得这样不对。
We can get a loan from the bank
我们能够从银行得到贷款。
I understand your feelings about it, Richard.
我了解你对这种事的心情,Richard。
Thank you.
谢谢你们。
I understand Richard’s feelings about it, Ellen.
我了解Richard对此的感受,Ellen。
if we can put up some collateral.
如果我们能提供担保物的话,
Good-bye. Thanks.
再见。谢谢。
and you don’t already own any property,
而你们又没有拥有其他财产,
And I don’t think it’s a good idea
而且我觉得这不是个好主意
you can pay the mortgage every month.
你们能每月按时付款。
Or someone can sign with us as a guarantor.
或者有人能当担保人帮我们签字。
A guarantor is responsible for the loan
担保人要对贷款负责
Take care.
慢走。
Everybody needs help sometimes, Richard.
每个人都有需要帮助的时候,Richard。
Somebody else’ll buy it by then.
别人也许买走了。
And I’ll call Mr. Riley at the bank
我打电话到银行给Riley先生,
We’ll call Mrs. Martinelli and tell her to keep looking for us.
我们会打电话给Martinelli太太告诉她继续帮我们物色房子。
and tell him we’ll see him in a couple of months.
告诉他过几个月我们再去找他。
This has been a great learning experience for us, Marilyn.
这对我们是一次很好的学习经验,Marilyn。
Looking at the houses.
看房子,
And if you ever need Dad or me to help you…
如果你们的确需要我和爸爸的帮助的话,…
and be able to put more money down.
也就可以增加自备款的额度。
Then there’ll be other houses, Marilyn.
还会有别的房子,Marilyn。
It has been a learning experience. That’s true.
这真是一次学习经验,真的。
We know.
我们知道。
It’s a Stewart tradition. We’re a family.
这是Stewart家的传统。我们是一家人。
Looking around. Especially with a purchase of this kind.
到处看看,特别是这一类买卖。
You’re talking about a lot of money.
你们谈的可是一大笔钱。
I think you’re doing the right thing. Taking your time.
我觉得你们做得对。慢慢来,
Talking to the loan officer at the bank.
与银行的贷款负责人谈。
Talking to the real-estate agent.
与房地产仲介商谈,
Richard has a point. You’re just beginning to look.
Richard说得对。你们只是开始看房子而已。
What about the house in Mount Kisco?
在Mount Kisco的房子呢?
We’re in no great rush. It’s true.
我们并不很急,这是真的。
In two or three months, I’ll have an advance on my book
两到叁个月后,我能得到我那本书的预付款
You know we’ll be there for you.
你们知道我们是会伸出援手的。
0 条评论