I’d like to use my brain a little more.

我想多用用我的脑子。

and I’m real exhausted.

我实在是精疲力竭了。

instead of you coming here.

而不是你到这里来,

You don’t need to do that, Grandpa.

你不用这样,爷爷。

since ten this morning,

从今天上午十点起,

Oh, I feel the same way, Susan.

噢,我也有同样的感受, Susan。

It’s nice to be alone with you, Grandpa.

很高兴单独与你在一起,爷爷。

Yeah, I do.

不,我要这样。

I’ve got extra time on my hands.

我有过多空闲时间。

We don’t get to see enough of each other.

我们在一起的时间太少了。

So it’s just you and me, Susan.

所以,这里只有你和我, Susan。

but I’m restless.

但我闲不住。

But to tell the truth,

但是,老实说,

I need to get out more.

我需要多出门去。

and I love being here with the family,

而我也喜欢和家人在一起。

What’s Harry doing tonight?

Harry今晚做什么?

I think you do.

我想你能体会。

And am I glad to see you!

我看见你才高兴呢!

I’d like to go into the city and meet you there,

我想到城里看你,

are visiting relatives in New Jersey today.

今天去 New Jersey拜访亲戚去了。

I am also glad to be here.

我很高兴来这里。

Grandpa,

爷爷,

I miss seeing you.

我很想见到你。

I have been talking to a group of salesmen

我一直在与一群推销人员谈话,

Well, I mean

我的意思是

He and Michelle

他和 Michelle

Is that you, Susan?

是你吗, Susan?

you know,

你知道的,

Am I glad to see you!

我看到你真的很高兴!

It’s me, Grandpa.

是我,爷爷。

I understand, Grandpa.

我能体会,爷爷。

The rest of our family went to the movies.

我们家里其馀的人都去看电影了。

there’s a lot to do around the house,

这屋里有很多事可做,

Well, you look good.

嗯,你看起来蛮好的。

next time

下一次

Frankly,

坦白地说,

How are things?

近况如何?

Since I retired,

自从我退休以后,

you have so much energy and so many years of experience.

你精力这么好,又有这么多年的经验。

Sounds good to me.

我来。

Sure.

好的。

Maybe I can help.

也许我能帮忙。

I need your advice on a personsal matter,

我有件私事,需要听听你的高见,

Let’s go into the kitchen,

我们到厨房去,

But I’m bored.

但我感到无聊。

mashed potatoes, and a tossed green salad to begin with.

马铃薯泥,还有蔬菜沙拉当头道菜。

I prepared lamb chops,

我准备了羊肉,

I’m retired.

我退休了。

But at my age,

但是,像我这般年纪,

Sam, would you come in, please?

Sam,请进来一下,好吗?

but it’s not about me.

但这不是关于我自己的事。

Well, there must be something.

嗯,一定可以找到事做。

That’s right.

是的。

and maybe you can help me set the table.

也许你能帮我摆桌子。

You’re still thinking about something to do, aren’t you?

你还在想要找点事做,是吗?

We’ll find a solution.

我们会找到解决的办法。

You sound like something’s bothering you, Susan.

听起来好像你有什么心事, Susan?

I’m not looking for a full-time job.

我不会去找一个上全天班的工作。

The sketches for the cover of the new doll book?

是新玩具书的封面设计吗?

A job of some kind.

找点工作。

There are probably a lot of places for you to work

也许有很多地方可以让你去工作。

to your finding a way to use that wonderful mind of yours.

能够让你施展你的学识。

There must be some way to put my mind to good use.

总会有办法让我发挥才智。

I’ve been thinking about it for weeks now.

为这事我想了几个星期。

A positive solution

一个好法子

Please sit down.

请坐下。

That’s not it.

不是这种事,

What are we having?

我们吃些什么?

Grandpa, you are a terrific guy!

爷爷,你真了不起!

Particularly in the construction field.

特别是在营造界。

You need my advice on a personal matter,

你有私事需要听我的意见,

John Marchetta gave me my start here six years ago,

六年前, John Marchetta让我在这里起步

What kind of advice are you looking for?

你希望能得到什么建议?

Right.

是的。

I had dinner with him Saturday,

星期六我与他一起吃晚餐,

Fine, thank you, Mr. Mrarchetta.

都好,谢谢你, Mrarchetta先生。

Then I’ve solved your problem.

说来我替你解决问题了。

Maybe he can do the same thing for your grandfather.

也许他能为你爷爷做同样的事。

and pleased to be living with the family.

乐于跟家人住在一起。

No, no. I’ll do that.

不,不。我自己来,

and he doesn’t get to use it.

却又用不上。

Shall I call Mr. Marchetta for you?

要我替你打电话给 Marchetta先生吗?

He gave me the chance to use my talents

他提供给我施展才能的机会,

But what can I do?

但我能帮什么忙?

It won’t sound like a big deal,

这事听起来没啥严重,

It’s about my grandfather.

是关于我爷爷。

He founded this company.

他创办了这家公司。

and it’s not about you. OK.

而且不是关于你自己的。好吧。

and made me feel more confident.

使我对自己更加有信心。

He is,

没有错。

What’s the problem?

什么事?

I can always depend on you, Sam.

我知道我可以依靠你, Sam。

Right.

对。

but there’s so much energy and talent in the man,

但是他有那么多的精力和才能,

John Marchetta runs this company.

John Marchetta经营这家公司。

I thought he was retired

我原以为他退休了,

What’s wrong, Susan?

怎么啦, Susan?

Or at least give him some advice.

再不然至少可以给他一些忠告。

and he’s very unhappy about not working.

他对没有工作感到怏怏不乐。

Simply this.

简单说来是这样的。

I’m glad to help.

我很乐意帮忙。

Thanks.

谢谢你。

Except for my grandfather.

除了我爷爷。

Right.

对。

Now, how’s the Stewart family?

那么, Stewart全家人都好吗?

but it is.

但实际上很要紧。

When I first graduated from college.

那时我刚从大学毕业。

Can I tell him that?

我可以把这消息告诉他吗?

Tell him to come and see me

告诉他来见我

and I thought… maybe…

我觉得…也许…

In fact, that is the reason why I’m here to see you.

事实上,这是我来见你的原因。

What’s wrong with him?

他怎么啦?

May I call you Malcolm?

我能称你 Malcolm吗?

That’s music to my ears.

正合我意。

my grandfather is

我爷爷

he could be so valuable.

他或许能够有所用。

I have an idea that may solve the problem for him

我有个主意,也许能解决这个问题,

and help a lot of other people.

并且对其他很多人有益。

a lot of wonderful things about you too, Mr. Stewart.

不少你的非凡作为, Stewart先生。

I know you’re building a new factory,

我知道你在兴建一座新工厂,

He needs to work.

他需要工作。

Hi. I’m Malcolm Stewart.

嗨。我是 Malcolm Stewart。

John Marchetta.

我是 John Marchetta。

Sit down, sit down.

请坐,请坐。

at ten o’clock tomorrow morning.

明天上午十点钟。

Sure can.

当然可以。

Yup. Forty-three years.

是的,四十叁年。

She says

她也谈起

Let’s talk business.

我们来谈谈正经事。

Call me John.

叫我 John,

Oh, thank you!

噢,谢谢你!

you used to be in the construction business.

你过去在营造界工作。

She says you’re quite a man.

她说你是个了不起的人。

Ten o’clock in the morning. Here.

上午十点,在这里。

I understand

听说

Susan has told me a great deal about you.

Susan告诉我许多关于你的事。

of forty-three years of on-the-job training.

关于我四十叁年的工作经历。

That’s always nice to hear, Mr. Marchetta.

听到这事总是好的, Marchetta先生。

so experienced in the construction trade,

在营造这一行业经验丰富,

Really, Mr. Marchetta?

真的吗, Marchetta先生?

Here’s a brief description

这是一份简单的记录

That is some history!

这阅历了不得!

You’re a valuable asset, Malcolm.

你是很有价值的资产, Malcolm,

Sometimes there is,

有时候有,

Yup. Forty-three years.

是的。四十叁年,

What’s that?

什么组织?

T-O-P-S — means Talented Older People’s Society.

T—O—P—S全名是优秀老人协会。

Put my experience on the line…

考验考验我的阅历…

Why?

为什么?

There are no dues.

不要会费。

with my children and grandchildren.

与儿子、孙子们在一起。

and sometimes there isn’t.

有时候没有。

but, unfortunately,

但是,很不幸,

Big jobs — factories, shopping malls.

大的工程——工厂、大型购物中心

there isn’t any work for a retired person my age.

没有我这种年纪的退休老人的工作。

Very valuable.

很有价值。

I like being near her.

我喜欢离她近一点。

I understand.

我了解。

Well, I’m involved with an organization,

嗯,我参加一个组织,

After my wife died,

我妻子去世后,

Then you retired.

然后你退休了。

The organization serves major companies in this city.

这个组织为本市各大公司服务。

I’d like to be a member.

我想加入做为会员。

That kind of thing.

等等。

Relax with the family and then look for some work.

与家人轻松一段时间,然后找个工作。

Experienced, talented, retired.

有经验,有才能,退休了。

My dautghter Cami lives in New York.

我女儿 Cami住在纽约。

When I came here,

当我初到这里,

and I felt I should spend more time

我觉得应该多花些时间

How much are the dues?

会费多少?

I planned to take a few months off.

我计划休息几个月。

Thank you.

谢谢你。

and we’re trying to resolve that problem.

试图解决这类问题。

and they lived in New York.

而他们住在纽约。

TOPS.

TOPS。

Half that time in my own construction company.

一半时间是在我自己的营造公司。

Yes.

是的。

I lived in Florida,

我住在 Florida,

Because our members are men and women like you.

因为,这个组织的会员都是像你这样的人。

I’ve got plenty of time.

我有的是时间。

Have you got time this morning

今天上午你有时间

Well,

好的,

My company was the contractor.

我的公司承包了这项工程。

I can act on it.

我就可以处理。

Malcolm.

Malcolm。

because, Danny,

因为Danny,

Well, I can use your brainpower on the job right now.

嗯,我马上可以将你的才智用在这项工程上

and use their talents.

贡献他们的才能。

My company is a member of TOPS.

我的公司也是优秀老人协会的会员,

Just fill out this form for me.

请把这份表填好。

get some background on the job.

了解这项工程的一些背景。

Malcolm is on the TOPS team.

Malcolm是 TOPS的一员。

That is fantastic, John!

那太好了, John!

When I get back, we’ll talk about my new factory.

我回来后,我们谈一谈我的新工厂。

and do it while I talk to my secretary.

我去和秘书说个话。

They want to work.

他们想工作。

It’ll only take a few minutes.

只要几分钟时间。

with my own two hands, practically.

差不多是独自完成的。

I’m glad to see you two guys getting along so well

看到你们两位相处得这么好我很高兴,

Malcolm, you worked on the Spaceport project?

Malcolm,你曾负责「太空港」的案子?

So I try hard to find opportunities for people like you.

所以我努力为像你这样的人寻找机会,

I understand.

我明白了。

I’d like to have you meet my foreman —

我希望带你去认识工头——

We’ll go over to the job site together.

我们等一会儿一起去工地。

to go over to the construction site with me?

去看一看建筑工地吗?

But our members want to go out there

但会员们希望在社会上

I’ll be right back.

我马上就回来。

I’ve got an idea for you, Malcolm.

我倒替你想出了一个主意, Malcolm。

I built the theater there

我建造这个剧院

Sit right here,

就坐在这里填,

And when I see an opportunity,

而且当我一看到机会,

… and I do need some advice on a difficult problem.

…我的确有一个难题要请教你。

No… thank you.

不…谢谢你。

But a simple solution might be

但是,一个简单的解决办法可能是

I’ll tell you the time and date of the next TOPS meeting.

我要告诉你 TOPS下次聚会的时间。

I’d like you to meet the group.

我希望你能与协会的成员见面。

Welcome aboard, Malcolm!

欢迎加入, Malcolm!

to move the air-conditioning units

移动空调设备

but I think I can be of some help to you.

但我觉得我可以对你略有帮助。

He’s quite a man.

他是个了不起的人。

It might be simpler and less expensive.

这样可能比较简单而且省钱。

And thank Susan.

还要谢谢 Susan。

without studying these building plans more carefully.

在没有仔细研究这些建筑图的情况下。

OK, Danny.

好啦, Danny。

You just earned your weight in gold, Malcolm.

你可帮了大忙, Malcolm。

His experience will be valuable to both of us.

他的经验对你我都很有用。

He’s going to be working with you for a while.

他将与你一起工作一段时间。

Let me show you this.

我给你看看这个。

I can learn something

我能学到一些东西。

I know you didn’t expect to have me around,

我知道你没有预期我出现在你身边,

I can’t believe it!

我简直不敢相信!

I’m going back to my office.

我要回办公室了。

I don’t want to give you a final opinion

我不想给你总结的意见,

instead of redesigning the entire system.

而不必重新设计整套系统。

With your background and experience,

依你的背景和经验,

I will, John.

我会的, John。

Let me tell you something, Malcolm.

我跟你说, Malcolm。

It all happened so quickly!

这一切发生得太快了!

Give me a call later, Malcolm.

请稍后打电话给我, Malcolm。

Welcome aboard!

欢迎加入我们的行列!

A real inspiration for me.

他给我很大的启发。

And again — thanks.

再次谢谢你。

It’s good to see you so happy.

能看见你如此高兴,太好了。

How about a date with your grandfather?

和你爷爷约个会好吗?

I’ll pick you up here at seven.

我七点钟到这里来接你。

You and me. Dinner.

你和我。吃晚饭。

He actually took me to meet his foreman.

事实上他带着我去见他的工头。

all about your first full day back on the job.

关于你重回工作第一天的全部情况了。

Why?

怎样?

I’m not doing anything.

我没有要做什么。

I don’t know how to thank you, Susan.

我不知道如何谢你, Susan。

I’ll be at the construction site tomorrow.

明天我要去工地,

He was more than helpful.

他不仅仅是帮忙。

What are you doing tomorrow night?

你明天晚上做什么?

I’m glad Mr. Marchetta was so helpful.

我真高兴, Marchetta先生如此帮忙。

I owe you a good steak dinner.

我欠你一顿牛排晚餐。

And you can tell me

到时候你就可以告诉我`

What time?

什么时候?

I’ll accept.

我接受邀请。

Tomorrow night.

明天晚上。

Is that OK?

可以吗?

You’re a wonderful granddaughter.

你真是个好孙女。

I can’t wait!

我盼望着那个时候!

I’m thrilled for you, Grandpa.

我真为你兴奋,爷爷。

It’s a deal!

就这么约定!


yewandou

一个人要有坚强的毅力,否则他将一事无成

0 条评论

发表回复

您的邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用 * 标注

蜀ICP备2025134762号 | 川公网安备51011202001092号 | 网站地图